98 Mauser saftey

walkerman

ok my first 98Mauser in 458 win mag,,got it today the safety is a low swing but something is not right it is on the left side of the bolt and with the scope on it the safety on goes up a little and if you bump the gun a little the safety falls off and it is loose thanks for any help

What make safety is it? Some safties were made to be ambidextrous. Don't understand the "bump it a little" problem. You probably should have a gunsmith look at it. A defective safety should not to be tolerated.

If it's an aftermarket low safety sounds like the cocking piece needs a little relief cut to allow the safety to engage and pull it back to lock. A simple adjustment.

morning,

u could change ur scope rings to set the scope up higher.

u could change ur safety to a timmey type safety and trigger assembly. the

unit comes as one piece.

I have a 98M in 308W. I put the higher rings. depending on the size of the

opitical, depends on the height of ur rings. I put a timmey trigger assembly

with safety assembly. I had the smithy trim the length of the bolt held

safety a 1/4 inch remove and reblued. rounded the safety latch to look good.

my preference. the rifle sports a BMG. British Machinegun barrel from WWII.

that's another story. very unique build

Works great for me.gungun)

I bet it's a drop in safety, I once bought them three to a bag for about ten dollars from a supplier I found in Shotgun News. They are left handed and require grinding a lead angle on the cocking piece for them to work. If you grind too much the safety when applied will keep the firearm from firing but if you pull the trigger and then drop the safety it could fire. Not enough and you can't get full engagement, might ought to let a smith take a look at it. They also rattle because they don't have a hole in the shank for a nylon tab like a Buehler safety does. I have one on my .308 that clears the scope easily and I did a little grinding on the lever so it's shorter. They were a cast piece but seem to work fine.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 120
morning, no the timmey trigger assembly with safety was over $100. very good

addition. a person can not buy any good trigger assembly for less than 1 C bill.

NRA&TSRA life memberlightbulb

One more suggestion is to find an aftermarket "model 70 Winchester-style" swing arm safety and replace the military style lever that is always something to deal with with a scoped Mauser. You can find them at Brownells. I'd find a competent gunsmith to install this as a minor modification to the firing pin/cocking piece/safety is required. The first one I bought had a fairly good description of the work necessary to fit it, something I chose to do with a gunsmith friend versus trying to do myself.

One more suggestion is to find an aftermarket "model 70 Winchester-style" swing arm safety and replace the military style lever that is always something to deal with with a scoped Mauser. You can find them at Brownells. I'd find a competent gunsmith to install this as a minor modification to the firing pin/cocking piece/safety is required. The first one I bought had a fairly good description of the work necessary to fit it, something I chose to do with a gunsmith friend versus trying to do myself.
The Dakota 3 position safety is no longer made. Gentry told me "maybe in 6 months or so". Jim Wisner (Wisner gun parts) has a 'fresh batch' ready to ship @ $190 each + $10 shipping. The only other 3 position safety I know of is made by Recknagel and sold in the US by New England Custom Gun. Then, there is installation. Not a task to be taken lightly.

If you could provide a couple of picks, one of the gun cocked but safety not engaged, and one cocked and locked or safety engaged, when the safety is engaged does it lock the bolt closed, at one time there were a number of different type safety available, most had a small retention spring in them that took up any sloppiness or looseness, if the safety was installed without the spring they very loose, some safeties had a small Teflon plunger that would wear out over time, with a pic I think I can identify what you may need to correct the issue