460 S&W rifle

meatyrem

Just one quick note.... I can't use a rifle to hunt deer in this this limited firearms zone- but I can use my 257 weatherby magnum to kill coyotes in the same area. There is literally no way to reconcile these 2 polar opposite concepts occurring at the same time. Either rifles are safe in a given population density or they are not.
Yeah. At night even so....

Jerry M

Delaware went with the straight Wall pistol cartridges last year. No auto-loaders, maximum 3 cartridges in the firearm.

Maryland has proposed it also, but I have not see if there are any restrictions on auto-loader. Currently, auto-loaders are allowed in all season. Waiting patiently...

Good Luck

Jerry

J E Custom

JE, what make barrel did you go with? Twist?
i am also very interested in how it works with the other calibers! If it is accurate with all, I may have to get one. Sounds like a hoot to pop hogs.
I live not very far from you, by the way. Thanks for the info on an interesting experiment.

I went with a 26" MGM with a 1 in 20 twist.

The 460 S&W uses the same diameter bullet (.452) as the 45 long colt and the 454 Casul. the rim diameter is the same for all three cartridges and the only difference is the length of the three cases with the 460 being the longest, the 454 the next shorter case and the 45 long colt being the shortest of the three.

when shooting the 45 colt in the big pistol it is a lackluster cartridge. the 454 steps it up but it is still 3 to 400 ft/sec slower than the 460. the nice thing for me is I have all three pistols and cartridges and can use any of them in the 460.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

J E Custom

After this discussion I got to thinking and I went back and found my notes on the original build and the question was ask about using the 45/70 for hunting in the straight wall restricted areas (N0), and that was what started the 460 project, the AR-15's would not handle the 45/70 so the 450 Bushmaster was chosen. And a AR-10 was required for the Raptor, also in many of the areas a semi auto was also not allowed.

Here is the rules, and the 450 "Is" included. https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...1.69i57j33.62267j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just a clarification. I have slept since then, plus I am getting old and forget details sometimes, but i keep good notes that comes in handy sometimes.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

nicholasjohn

Just one quick note.... I can't use a rifle to hunt deer in this this limited firearms zone- but I can use my 257 weatherby magnum to kill coyotes in the same area. There is literally no way to reconcile these 2 polar opposite concepts occurring at the same time. Either rifles are safe in a given population density or they are not.
If you bring up that kind of logic, they will use it to dis-allow the rifle for coyotes - NOT to allow it for deer. These people don't think like you and I do. They are a different breed of cat entirely.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce