500 s&w help

6mm06guy

I purchased a H&R single shot 500 s&w, I got it cheap, I thought it was because the sights were missing, I didn't shoot it for the longest time because of the lack of sights.
I installed a scope only to find the mount screws are drilled wayyyy off to the left... I thought well, no big deal I'll just scope it and use it like a side mount 30-30.
Long story short the thing kicks so hard I can't keep a scope in one place in the rings.
I would like to put some good iron sights on the gun, preferably not a ghost ring.
Does any one have aNY ideas on what brand I should use? Preferably a set that requires minimal gunsmithing. I have a drill press and I can get a tap, but I don't have a mill any more.

Thanks in advance.

I purchased a H&R single shot 500 s&w, I got it cheap, I thought it was because the sights were missing, I didn't shoot it for the longest time because of the lack of sights.
I installed a scope only to find the mount screws are drilled wayyyy off to the left... I thought well, no big deal I'll just scope it and use it like a side mount 30-30.
Long story short the thing kicks so hard I can't keep a scope in one place in the rings.
I would like to put some good iron sights on the gun, preferably not a ghost ring.
Does any one have aNY ideas on what brand I should use? Preferably a set that requires minimal gunsmithing. I have a drill press and I can get a tap, but I don't have a mill any more.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 460 S&W pistol and I built myself a rifle for the cartridge and
Was very pleased with the outcome and the performance. "BUT" recoil is very brisk on the 460 and the 500 S&Ws.

With the weight of the rifle, Recoil could be an issue. Recoil should be around 25 + ft/lbs in the rifle depending on how much it weighs.
We built/designed brakes for both the 460 and the 500 because historically recoil reduction has not been very good with big bores and we wanted to see if we could improve the brakes performance.

Our final brake design reduced the recoil on the 500 by 30%( best brake we found was barely 20% ) and the 460 was 33% to begin with and the best design netted 48.5 % recoil reduction. My 460 rifle was reduced from 23 ft/lbs to 12 ft/lbs. and is very pleasant to shoot with an amazing velocity of 2900+ ft second with the 200 grain factory loading.

So in my opinion a muzzle brake (Of any kind) would be the solution to your problem. A reduction of 20 to 30% would be a plus in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.