Help w/Barrel twist

6XCShooter

I am in the process of building a custom rifle in .243win
I have all necessary components except for barrel.
This rifle is going to be a dedicated Predator hunting rig and as such I plan on using bullets in the 70-90gr range. Most of the Barrel twist charts call for a 1:10 to 1:12 twist for this bullet weight.

No problem finding 6mm barrels with 1:8 twist but can not find 1:10 or 1:12 twist 6mm barrels available??

I already have a couple (6mm)6XC rifles with 1:7.5 & 1:8 twist set up to shoot the heavier 115dtac & 105 bergers. But I want the .243 set up for lighter bullets

The charts for the lighter bullets say 1:10 or 1:12 or faster ....well 1:8 is certainly faster? Will a 1:8 work well for the lighter bullets?

Other option is to order 1;10 twist barrel and wait months.
I need some experienced shooters or smiths to advise or provide pros & cons of using 1:8 twist with lighter bullets
thanks

I am in the process of building a custom rifle in .243win
I have all necessary components except for barrel.
This rifle is going to be a dedicated Predator hunting rig and as such I plan on using bullets in the 70-90gr range. Most of the Barrel twist charts call for a 1:10 to 1:12 twist for this bullet weight.

No problem finding 6mm barrels with 1:8 twist but can not find 1:10 or 1:12 twist 6mm barrels available??

I already have a couple (6mm)6XC rifles with 1:7.5 & 1:8 twist set up to shoot the heavier 115dtac & 105 bergers. But I want the .243 set up for lighter bullets

The charts for the lighter bullets say 1:10 or 1:12 or faster ....well 1:8 is certainly faster? Will a 1:8 work well for the lighter bullets?

Other option is to order 1;10 twist barrel and wait months.
I need some experienced shooters or smiths to advise or provide pros & cons of using 1:8 twist with lighter bullets
thanks

The 1 in 10 is the correct twist rate and the 1 in 12 will work if you load the lighter bullets, fast.

Some people are using the 1 in 14 for the lightest bullets with good success but heavy bullets are out of the question.

Most Barrel makers have In stock barrels in the lighter contours and you can get them within a week or so.

If you want a heavy contour or taper you will probably have to order it and wait 8 to 16 weeks.

The main advantage of the 1 in 10 is that it will shoot all bullets well.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE very much appreciate your input
I am wanting a 24",fluted #5 contour (Remington Sendero or close)
Guess I will just have to order and wait the 4 months
thanks again

Thanks JE very much appreciate your input
I am wanting a 24",fluted #5 contour (Remington Sendero or close)
Guess I will just have to order and wait the 4 months
thanks again

Don't go through a middle man to order. If someone has it in stock you can get it within 10 days
but,If they have to order it from the barrel maker, Who knows when you will get it.

If you order it from a reputable barrel maker they will hold close to the shipping date.

I use a lot of Lilja's and they have never missed a delivery date buy more than 4 or 5 days
early or late.

Check with the top barrel makers and you may find one that has one or has a good delivery date.

PS: If you find one with a 1 in 9.5 that would work also.

J E CUSTOM

I picked up a Pac Nor 26" polygonal 1-9 twist; for a re-barrel on the older Weatherby Varmint master I turn into a 6XC from a 22.250 Love the twist in bullets from 70grs to 95grs. It's a great walking deer rifle, and **** accurate. I used the original contour of the factory barrel so I would not have to touch the stock, later if I liked I could re-barrel it back to its original state. I have the same Weatherby Varmintmaster in a .224 Wby mag, which makes for a fun pair of rifles, the top one is the 6XC.
So I see no reason why the 1-9 twist wouldn't work well for your .243 Win.
Just my .02
Cheer's

Attachments

• 6mmXC Wby Varmintmaster top .224 Wby Mag Vamintmaster bottom 001.jpg
    6mmXC Wby Varmintmaster top .224 Wby Mag Vamintmaster bottom 001.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.