35 whelen barrel twist?

Mustang72

So I am finally getting ready to send a rifle off to Jess and have it turned into a 35 whelen. My question is what twist would you recommend? I was planning on the 3 grove 1-14. Then I was looking at hammers and some of them needed a 1/13 or faster. Seems like everything is going to a faster twist these days for better bc. Problem is I plan on running cast and pistol bullets also. Anybody have experience with the 1/12 twist with cast loads? Thanks

I have a new 35 Whelen barreled action. I don't plan on using any cast bullets. I used a Krieger 6 groove 10" twist. Because of the availability of some good heavy copper bullets, I wouldn't want anything slower than a 12.

No 35 whelen shooters out there?

Like most things that evolve around style and interest, the .35 Whelen goes in and out of favor every 10 years or so. It is a solid medium power, medium distance performer which consistently handles most game in North America. I've used it on deer and elk and seen it work with excellent results on moose.

My experience is with the 225 gr. Nosler Partition and the 250 gr. Nosler Partition since I've not encountered anything needing heavier or tougher designs. But there are the Barnes TTSX bullets and a really heavy 280 gr. Swift A-Frame for something in the big bear family when and if you find these necessary. What's really great though is that all of these bullets are easily handled with a 1:14" twist rate.

I am not a pistol bullet shooter when it comes to rifle cartridges. Just because pistol bullets are available in this particular caliber does not mean they should be used in a case with this capacity. If you can find some methodologies which can tone down the potential velocities for light or lead bullets, have at it. There are probably others with a handle on this who will speak up just to be contrarians.

Enjoy the process!:)

Think I will talk with Jess some more about twist . Have already decided on a 3 grove. I have wanted one for about 15-20 years,just never have got one made. Had planned on the 14 but now wondering about a 12/or 13 twist. I like to plink with light cast loads when we get overrun with Jack rabbits. Make for great and cheap practice. Planning on a 225 all around load with the ability to go to 280-310 heavy loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.