460 S&W Magnum might have too much velocity. See Picture...

Hey J E Custom. I have not tried the 325gr Swift A frame bullets in mine. But I do think that would be a great choice based on reviews I've read of those bullets in general. It's at least worth trying!

I'm sure you'll have better luck accuracy wise than I have. My factory TC chamber/barrel has issues. Who is making the barrel you plan to buy?

I would be sincerely interested what velocities you'll see with a 26 inch barrel. I did some research and it seemed like most 45+ caliber straight walled cartridges didn't need very long barrels to reach high velocity.

If you like the heavy bullets and don't mind shooting cast, the Penn 340gr has worked decent for me too. And at 23 cents a piece, they're actually economical also.
https://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html

I tested some of the factory 200 grain hornadys that did 2390 in my 8.5 " pistol barrel in a bolt action 20" barreled rifle and they exceeded 2900 ft/sec, so when I decided to build/buy a longer barrel I wanted to use heaver bullets and get as much velocity as possible and went with 26'' (Could have went with 28" but felt the 26 should be about optimum). I will find out if it was the best choice. I also intend to build a brake for it and that will add another 2.5" inches to the overall length.

Here is the link to the barrel maker I used (MGM) https://matchgrademachine.com/produ...twist-picatinny-rail-heavy-factory-contour-2/ They will make it 28" if you want them to.

I also ordered the bull barrel (No taper) so I could taper it my self to the heaviest taper/contour possible. and bought the varmint laminate stocks so I could customize the barrel channel and the but stock grip. Haven't decided whether or not to checker the stocks yet.

Will post the rifle when complete and the performance. I hope it does well because I really like the performance of the cartridge.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Bought a FA .454 instead of the S&W .460 because I like the single action... that said there are just too many interesting cartridges for my available time and budget!

Nice pic! Thanks for adding to the discussion. I've been interested in the 45 Raptor for quite a while. I'm sincerely surprised it's not more popular. If Winchester had released the cartridge it would be selling like crazy.

It's a cool round. While it's a fair bit faster than the 450, I'm not sure it makes much difference at the distances we shoot these animals. If it weren't for the 450 being ar15 compatible, the raptor would rule the roost. 38k vs 62k spec pressure.
What can go wrong with a straight walled 308 case? Nothing.
I load and have shot the raptor extensively. IMO going beyond 24" (mine is 20") barrel length yields nothing. There isn't enough powder capacity to make it worth while. I've played with 300mp, h110/296, vv110+120, lil gun, enforcer, AA#9, and 1680.
Funny part is that I was looking for a lever 460 when I came upon the raptor. Bighorn made a 460 in a lever, but was like $2K. No thanks.

I'm on a quest now to develop a fast 44 Cal @ 2300-2500 with the 265 ftx bullet. Stay tuned.

It's a cool round. While it's a fair bit faster than the 450, I'm not sure it makes much difference at the distances we shoot these animals. If it weren't for the 450 being ar15 compatible, the raptor would rule the roost. 38k vs 62k spec pressure.
What can go wrong with a straight walled 308 case? Nothing.
I load and have shot the raptor extensively. IMO going beyond 24" (mine is 20") barrel length yields nothing. There isn't enough powder capacity to make it worth while. I've played with 300mp, h110/296, vv110+120, lil gun, enforcer, AA#9, and 1680.
Funny part is that I was looking for a lever 460 when I came upon the raptor. Bighorn made a 460 in a lever, but was like $2K. No thanks.

I'm on a quest now to develop a fast 44 Cal @ 2300-2500 with the 265 ftx bullet. Stay tuned.

The 444 Marlin did this with the factory load @ 2,335fps.

The 444 Marlin did this with the factory load @ 2,335fps.

True. The issue is the case length and the rim. The Midwest states generally have a 1.8" max case length. And rims don't work well in bolt guns/semi auto. Thinking of using a belted case-would make headspacing so much easier.

True. The issue is the case length and the rim. The Midwest states generally have a 1.8" max case length. And rims don't work well in bolt guns/semi auto. Thinking of using a belted case-would make headspacing so much easier.

Sounds like the 458x2inch American necked to .429, or a shortened version of the 450 Marlin necked similar.

Last edited:
Some places require that the cartridge be factory loaded and The 460 S&W fits this requirement. The chamber can also shoot three different cartridges (The 460 S&W, the 454 Casull,And the 45 long colt) making it very versatile for different types of hunting and shoot at the range. Also what I have found is that where the 460 is lacking in bullet choices for factory ammo, the 454 has it. if you reload you can find bullets from 118 grains to 360 grains. I have found 58 different weights and designs of .452 dia bullets and that's a great selection for any needs in my opinion.

I have had a 444 marlin for many years in a 14'' TC contender and it is devastating on deer but equally devastating to the shooter in the light pistol and with 265 grain Bullets @ 2400 ft/sec (Max Load) but it doesn't fall into the requirements of most of the states that have a cartridge length requirement.

The first 460 S&W rifle I built was built for this requirement and it exceeded the 444 in every way so now with the versatility of the 460 in a rifle or pistol and the recoil management down to a reasonable limit, the tried and true 444 has become a safe queen. I still have my old friend But just don't shoot/hunt with it any more.

J E CUSTOM

Just cut back on the charcoal and add some wet Mesquite to the load.

tJfBvwM.jpg
Charcoal and wet mesquite...aka Trail Boss.:D

I tested some of the factory 200 grain hornadys that did 2390 in my 8.5 " pistol barrel in a bolt action 20" barreled rifle and they exceeded 2900 ft/sec, so when I decided to build/buy a longer barrel I wanted to use heaver bullets and get as much velocity as possible and went with 26'' (Could have went with 28" but felt the 26 should be about optimum). I will find out if it was the best choice. I also intend to build a brake for it and that will add another 2.5" inches to the overall length.

Here is the link to the barrel maker I used (MGM) https://matchgrademachine.com/produ...twist-picatinny-rail-heavy-factory-contour-2/ They will make it 28" if you want them to.

I also ordered the bull barrel (No taper) so I could taper it my self to the heaviest taper/contour possible. and bought the varmint laminate stocks so I could customize the barrel channel and the but stock grip. Haven't decided whether or not to checker the stocks yet.

Will post the rifle when complete and the performance. I hope it does well because I really like the performance of the cartridge.

J E CUSTOM
I had a TC Encore barrel made by MGM. 27 in. Full bull stainless . With integral muzzle brake. Spiral fluted later to remove 6 oz... Very happy with it.
I have other TC Encore barrels. 28 in. Hunters in 6.5 Creed and 243. 26 in 308. And the dreaded 20 inch in 460 S&W... I bought it used . Put a 3x9x40 Leupold on it that had lying around. 7 months later still have not shot it. I've heard they are not pleasant to shoot (20 in.). I was thinking of having a muzzle brake installed but considering on another MGM barrel and get their full length 27 in. With integral or threaded brake. One to get Mike length/weight and less recoil . MGM prefers 450 Bushmaster over 460 I'm sure you were their test. I already have a S&W 460 XVR 8 in. . Why I wanted to stay with 460.
JE, did you finish your 28 in. Build yet and if so what velocities are you getting. Did you brake it ?
Thanks !

I had a TC Encore barrel made by MGM. 27 in. Full bull stainless . With integral muzzle brake. Spiral fluted later to remove 6 oz... Very happy with it.
I have other TC Encore barrels. 28 in. Hunters in 6.5 Creed and 243. 26 in 308. And the dreaded 20 inch in 460 S&W... I bought it used . Put a 3x9x40 Leupold on it that had lying around. 7 months later still have not shot it. I've heard they are not pleasant to shoot (20 in.). I was thinking of having a muzzle brake installed but considering on another MGM barrel and get their full length 27 in. With integral or threaded brake. One to get Mike length/weight and less recoil . MGM prefers 450 Bushmaster over 460 I'm sure you were their test. I already have a S&W 460 XVR 8 in. . Why I wanted to stay with 460.
JE, did you finish your 28 in. Build yet and if so what velocities are you getting. Did you brake it ?
Thanks !

I ordered a 26" because I wanted to install one of My brakes and wanted the overall length to be around 28"

The bolt action rifle I built was 20" and the 460 produced over 500 ft/sec more velocity than the 8.5 pistol did.

With the short action of the Encore, I felt that 26 inches of barrel would be optimum and would produce even more velocity. I have not received the barrel yet and when I receive it I will contour it to a heavy taper that will end up at about .920 at the muzzle.

I calculated the recoil with my brake with the 460 and the rifle weight and total recoil should be less than 10 ft/lbs if I get the tune correct. I would put a brake on the 20" 460 for sure because it will weigh less and should be around 12 to 14 ft/lbs with a good brake and somewhere around 25 ft/lbs without.

These calculations were based on the factory 200 grain loads and with the 300+grain bullets recoil will go up to 30 to 35 ft/lbs depending on your load and rifle weight. With the heavy bullets, you should expect somewhere between 47 and 51% reduction in recoil with a good brake.

I have a 450 bushmaster in an AR and really like it, But when you can change case lengths like you can in the Encore 460 without the feeding problems encountered in Semi autos and leaver guns the 460 just seemed the right choice when i can use 45 long colt, 454 Casull or the 460 cartridges, and the interchangeability of different rounds for the 460 it just seemed like the obvious/right choice for the Encore.

I hope my barrel is a good one because I have never had one of their barrels but their acceptance tolerances for their barrels seemed good to me.

J E CUSTOM

Just another observation about some of these huge wound exits. Most of the time that I have seen this amount of damage, has been when I hit the game in the shoulder blade not behind it. This type of hit will test any bullets construction. I have purposely chosen this shot when I needed something hard to start the expansion process and at other times avoided this location for bullet placement. Sometimes we don't have a choice if it is running or we wan't to drop the game in its tracks for recovery.

If we know the strengths and weakness of the bullet used, we can make the placement choice based on the outcome we want. Many times while hunting, I have been presented with a long shot that would reduce the expansion of the bullet used and I elected to just clip one shoulder or end up against the opposite shoulder for best bullet performance at that range.

I try not to judge a bullet if I haven't placed it in the optimum location, But when I repeatedly make a good shot (Where I wanted it) and the results are not as expected, I can evaluate it and decide what use would be better for it. As i have said before, There is no golden bullet that will do everything.

If I am using a bullet that will expand rapidly, I try to place the bullet where it will hit only soft tissue (Behind the shoulder And only a few ribs) Bullet selection for the game and distance is very important and can make a huge difference. So shot placement becomes very important to evaluate a Bullet.

Just a comment and an observation based on my years of hunting.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I ordered a 26" because I wanted to install one of My brakes and wanted the overall length to be around 28"

The bolt action rifle I built was 20" and the 460 produced over 500 ft/sec more velocity than the 8.5 pistol did.

With the short action of the Encore, I felt that 26 inches of barrel would be optimum and would produce even more velocity. I have not received the barrel yet and when I receive it I will contour it to a heavy taper that will end up at about .920 at the muzzle.

I calculated the recoil with my brake with the 460 and the rifle weight and total recoil should be less than 10 ft/lbs if I get the tune correct. I would put a brake on the 20" 460 for sure because it will weigh less and should be around 12 to 14 ft/lbs with a good brake and somewhere around 25 ft/lbs without.

These calculations were based on the factory 200 grain loads and with the 300+grain bullets recoil will go up to 30 to 35 ft/lbs depending on your load and rifle weight. With the heavy bullets, you should expect somewhere between 47 and 51% reduction in recoil with a good brake.

I have a 450 bushmaster in an AR and really like it, But when you can change case lengths like you can in the Encore 460 without the feeding problems encountered in Semi autos and leaver guns the 460 just seemed the right choice when i can use 45 long colt, 454 Casull or the 460 cartridges, and the interchangeability of different rounds for the 460 it just seemed like the obvious/right choice for the Encore.

I hope my barrel is a good one because I have never had one of their barrels but their acceptance tolerances for their barrels seemed good to me.

J E CUSTOM
Thank you for the info JE. I think you will be pleased with their barrel. They have a pretty good reputation and great customer service . I also chose 460 so I could shoot all 3 cartridges . I also have a Ruger Redhawk 9 in. In .454 Cassul and a S&W 460 XVR. I think I'm going to go with threaded barrel so I can put whatever brake I want on it.
I'm anxious to hear how yours turns out. It will be done before I get mine made I'm sure. Keep us posted !

Last edited:
J E CUSTOM

Please do post when you get it all put together! I'm interested. I went with an 18 inch barrel because i wanted the shortest lightest rifle possible. If I ever get a 45 caliber suppressor, it would be fun to try on this compact single shot.

I have other TC Encore barrels. 28 in. Hunters in 6.5 Creed and 243. 26 in 308. And the dreaded 20 inch in 460 S&W... I bought it used . Put a 3x9x40 Leupold on it that had lying around. 7 months later still have not shot it. I've heard they are not pleasant to shoot (20 in.).

Mine started as the factory 20 inch. I had it cut 2 inches and threaded for a muzzle brake because it was a violent recoil. I sometimes see people compare it to a 20 gauge. That's laughable. 460SW Mag can have up to 3,800ft lbs of energy in a rifle that weighs 4.1 pounds. It certainly has significant recoil when it doesn't have a brake. It's not unbearable without a brake, but it's not enjoyable either. I'd say it has more recoil (and sharper recoil) than a 3 inch 12 gauge slug.

J E CUSTOM

I also have a 450BM in an AR and also really like it! I also got my 460SW Mag for the same reason... flexibility of shooting 45 Colt and 454 Casull out of it also. What's funny to me is when I originally bought this 460SW Mag I assumed it would barely get used except for hunting. But it's such an event to shoot it... So loud and powerful in a tiny package, I end up bringing it to the range quite often! It really is a lot of fun to shoot off hand at steel, water jugs, or anything besides paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts