460 S&W Magnum might have too much velocity. See Picture...

The picture really has me rethinking using the bullet this winter on PA whitetail. Out of 14" barrel, I'd prefer to not see such results! After all - they're only whitetail!
Make a decent shot to the vitals and you'll be fine.

I like the .452 caliber, 240 grain, Hornady XTP Magnum bullet. I've used it in 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casull, and hot 45 Colt loads.

But in 460 S&W Magnum, I might be pushing it a little too fast... NEVER seen results like this before.

Silver lining is it didn't suffer and didn't have to track. :)

View attachment 158688

What are you shooting it out of?

I like the .452 caliber, 240 grain, Hornady XTP Magnum bullet. I've used it in 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casull, and hot 45 Colt loads.

But in 460 S&W Magnum, I might be pushing it a little too fast... NEVER seen results like this before.

Silver lining is it didn't suffer and didn't have to track. :)

View attachment 158688
Nicely done. Is that out of a pistol? If so what powder/ primer are you using? I have the 200 grain hornadys for my .460 and the Barnes. I may need to try the bullets your using.

If you shoot a coyote with that load please please post the pics

I'm using 300 gr xtp mag bullets out of my .454. Have killed a couple elk and a bunch of turkeys and marmots with them but nothing was destroyed like that. The bullets have held together nicely.

Just cut back on the charcoal and add some wet Mesquite to the load.

tJfBvwM.jpg

IMG_20170103_125823_987 v2.jpg
What bullet and what distance were you. I have had good performance with mine and I don't need/want these results. Thanks
J E CUSTOM

what distance was that?!?!

What are you shooting it out of?

Hello everyone. Sorry it took me a few days to respond. They story is actually that my cousin shot this deer using my Thompson Center Katahdin 18 inch barrel 460S&W Magnum rifle. He was also using my reloads. I primarily hunt with my 450 Bushmaster, so this deer was the first shot with my 460SW mag as that is usually my backup rifle I bring to deer camp. He said it was probably 40 yards.

This rifle is SUPER picky on ammo. This shot was with a Hornady 240gr XTP Magnum bullet with 51.0gr of Lil Gun. Which is on the hotter side for a load but didn't show any pressure signs. I've tested this 240gr XTP Mag, 300gr XTP Mag, 275gr Barnes, 200gr Hornady, 340gr Penn hardcast, and multiple 45 caliber muzzle loader bullets. Honestly, most loads are horrible. I decided on the 240gr XTP Magnum with 51gr of Lil Gun because it was the most accurate. It just happened to also be a fairly hot load. The 240gr XTP Magnum is rated for 460SW Mag pressure and velocity. So even though it's a "pistol" bullet. It's still a "pistol" bullet that can handle 65K PSI.

I have chronographed some loads with this rifle but have yet to chrono this load used. From memory the 200gr Hornady factory ammo was north of 2,900fps. I remember thinking, dang that's almost 3,800ft lbs of energy out of a super short single shot that weighs 4lbs. Lol. I would expect that a 300 Win Mag would have similar energy if shooting a 200gr bullet and if it only had an 18 inch barrel.

I think about selling the rifle at least once a year because I had such a hard time finding an accurate load. But I'll admit, it's quite fun to shoot. Always draws some attention and questions at the gun range.

I tend to avoid shoulder shots as much as possible, so I'm not sure the same case would apply as the stated picture. I was just a it surprised!

Myself and most of my family do take shoulder shots. Even though we whitetail hunt a large piece of private property, the adjoining property owners are very uptight about us tracking deer onto their land. Even if we ask permission. So in our specific case we sacrifice some meat for less hunting drama. However, if I use this rifle in the future, I will not be taking a shoulder shot. If my cousin borrows it again, I'm assuming he will also reconsider! :)

Last edited:
In my 454 Casull I shot the 300gr Swift A-Frame bullets. You'll never see that bullet go to pieces. They've got a 265gr too.

I had one of those T/C Katahdin rifles in 45-70. It made an excellent treestand rifle for hunting bears over bait. Sorry I sold it.

View attachment 159406

Hello everyone. Sorry it took me a few days to respond. They story is actually that my cousin shot this deer using my Thompson Center Katahdin 18 inch barrel 460S&W Magnum rifle. He was also using my reloads. I primarily hunt with my 450 Bushmaster, so this deer was the first shot with my 460SW mag as that is usually my backup rifle I bring to deer camp. He said it was probably 40 yards.

This rifle is SUPER picky on ammo. This shot was with a Hornady 240gr XTP Magnum bullet with 51.0gr of Lil Gun. Which is on the hotter side for a load but didn't show any pressure signs. I've tested this 240gr XTP Mag, 300gr XTP Mag, 275gr Barnes, 200gr Hornady, 340gr Penn hardcast, and multiple 45 caliber muzzle loader bullets. Honestly, most loads are horrible. I decided on the 240gr XTP Magnum with 51gr of Lil Gun because it was the most accurate. It just happened to also be a fairly hot load. The 240gr XTP Magnum is rated for 460SW Mag pressure and velocity. So even though it's a "pistol" bullet. It's still a "pistol" bullet that can handle 65K PSI.

I have chronographed some loads with this rifle but have yet to chrono this load used. From memory the 200gr Hornady factory ammo was north of 2,900fps. I remember thinking, dang that's almost 3,800ft lbs of energy out of a super short single shot that weighs 4lbs. Lol. I would expect that a 300 Win Mag would have similar energy if shooting a 200gr bullet and if it only had an 18 inch barrel.

I think about selling the rifle at least once a year because I had such a hard time finding an accurate load. But I'll admit, it's quite fun to shoot. Always draws some attention and questions at the gun range.

I'm putting together a 460 S&W on the same frame except with a 26" barrel and laminated stocks.

I am hoping to shoot 300+grain bullets out of it with good accuracy.

Have you tried the 325 grain Swift A Frame ? if so how did it do.

J E CUSTOM

Attach6162_20190912_095033.jpg
I'm putting together a 460 S&W on the same frame except with a 26" barrel and laminated stocks.

J E CUSTOM

If you have the budget, look at Parker bullets. They are amazingly accurate, but spendy.
IMO the case doesn't have enough volume to move heavy bullets. You can drive a 200 GR Barnes xpb at 2900+. That addresses penetration.
The 275 Barnes is accurately driven at 2100-2300.
In my experience with the 45 raptor, I can't justify shooting anything over 250 GR. Going higher only adds recoil.
I've shot animals with 250 shockwave bonded, 240+300 xtp mag, 300 Parker ballistic extreme.
The perfect bullet would be a 240 partition.
Attached is the entrance of the 250 TC bonded shockwave 2600 MV. Shot was 50 yards. Notice the blow back.

J E CUSTOM

Hey J E Custom. I have not tried the 325gr Swift A frame bullets in mine. But I do think that would be a great choice based on reviews I've read of those bullets in general. It's at least worth trying!

I'm sure you'll have better luck accuracy wise than I have. My factory TC chamber/barrel has issues. Who is making the barrel you plan to buy?

I would be sincerely interested what velocities you'll see with a 26 inch barrel. I did some research and it seemed like most 45+ caliber straight walled cartridges didn't need very long barrels to reach high velocity.

If you like the heavy bullets and don't mind shooting cast, the Penn 340gr has worked decent for me too. And at 23 cents a piece, they're actually economical also.
https://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html

View attachment 159438
If you have the budget, look at Parker bullets. They are amazingly accurate, but spendy.
IMO the case doesn't have enough volume to move heavy bullets. You can drive a 200 GR Barnes xpb at 2900+. That addresses penetration.
The 275 Barnes is accurately driven at 2100-2300.
In my experience with the 45 raptor, I can't justify shooting anything over 250 GR. Going higher only adds recoil.
I've shot animals with 250 shockwave bonded, 240+300 xtp mag, 300 Parker ballistic extreme.
The perfect bullet would be a 240 partition.
Attached is the entrance of the 250 TC bonded shockwave 2600 MV. Shot was 50 yards. Notice the blow back.

Nice pic! Thanks for adding to the discussion. I've been interested in the 45 Raptor for quite a while. I'm sincerely surprised it's not more popular. If Winchester had released the cartridge it would be selling like crazy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.