460 S&W Magnum might have too much velocity. See Picture...

engineer40

I like the .452 caliber, 240 grain, Hornady XTP Magnum bullet. I've used it in 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casull, and hot 45 Colt loads.

But in 460 S&W Magnum, I might be pushing it a little too fast... NEVER seen results like this before.

Silver lining is it didn't suffer and didn't have to track. :)

Deer shot with 460SW Mag.jpg

As stated, the Barnes or the 300gr bonded will reduce the fragmentation and meat loss. Even a 300 hardcast will be a very effective killer and reduce the destruction. I use the 300 and 325WFN's in my heavy 45Colt+P(revolver and rifle) and 454 loads, and they kill cleanly without the mess. YMMV

Or, maybe....not enough bullet! :) I'm running a 400 grain wide metplat cast through mine! I think they'll work, while I hope to salvage some meat! ;) Nice bullet placement, by the way! memtb

What bullet and what distance were you. I have had good performance with mine and I don't need/want these results. Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Hmmm.... Guess maybe I shouldn't shoot a deer with my little 454 carbine? I've shot that bullet into a bucket full of sand and gravel at an impact velocity of just short of 2100 FPS and it didn't expand far enough to shed its core.
What velocity were you getting?

Until the 460 S&W, My most powerful hand gun was a 444 marlin contender and once I used a 240 HP (Pistol bullet)@ 2400 ft/sec in it, and blew the opposite shoulder completely off a deer so at that point I decided to use rifle bullets. Hornady makes XTPs and XTP mags, if you shoot at 454 velocities and especially the 460 velocities you must/should use the XTP Mags for proper performance because the standard pistol bullets will not hold up to the higher velocities.

Most pistol bullets have a designed maximum velocity of around 1800 ft/sec so the 454 and the 460, like other high velocity pistols with velocities of 1800 ft/sec plus, need rifle bullets to perform their best. I have found the 250 grain FTX 450 bushmaster bullets to do very well in the 460, and the 300 grain plus bullets for the 454 or rifles also do very well. But make sure that the bullets are .452 dia and not .458.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I like the .452 caliber, 240 grain, Hornady XTP Magnum bullet. I've used it in 450 Bushmaster, 454 Casull, and hot 45 Colt loads.

But in 460 S&W Magnum, I might be pushing it a little too fast... NEVER seen results like this before.

Silver lining is it didn't suffer and didn't have to track. :)

I used to use the Barnes in a 454 Casull while hunting is North Carolina. Very good choice for deer and pigs...

Remember that a .452 cal bullet diameter is essentially a .30 cal that has already expanded to 1.5 X its diameter. Although some expansion is essential to help transfer hydrostatic shock, you really don't need much expansion on these large diameter pistol bullets for deer size game.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.