does this factory load have too much pressure?

I don't see anything to worry about, I would just have a gumsmith check it out, put a firing pin spring or Tubbs/Callahan speedlock and check the protrusion, won't cost a lot.

Hey blacknzr1 i had a 223 that had the same issue turned out to be a tight chamber got a 1/2 thou more headspace and i was away laughing what did the gunsmith say about head space.

well i thought my gunsmith was pretty good until i showed him the rounds. i had the gun with me in its case too. but he just said it was a hot round. he did say there was some thing in the action (cant remember what he called it) that can catch and not help feeding. he said the random round he picked up did show evidence of it. but he wasnt worried.
(the scuff mark was just above the magnum belt, running length ways. but only about 3 or 4 mm long)
but he never once mentioned head space.

i wonder.. would i expect the same problem with a more mild hornady round/case.... as in would it still be a bit tight.

i must say, i can definatly feel its a bit tight, but it doesnt really bother me much. its just the point that its like that. im kind of used to it.

Is it just the Hornady ammo that's tight? The scuff mark is where its being pushed over the feed lip, that's normal, a tight factory round isn't. Most remingtons I've dealt with were the opposite, they had excessive headspace, some will say that if a .006" or .008" no go gauge will go in it, its still ok, which isn't horrible if you reload, but if you always shoot factory, that's a good bit for the case to have to grow.

Is it just the Hornady ammo that's tight? The scuff mark is where its being pushed over the feed lip, that's normal, a tight factory round isn't. Most remingtons I've dealt with were the opposite, they had excessive headspace, some will say that if a .006" or .008" no go gauge will go in it, its still ok, which isn't horrible if you reload, but if you always shoot factory, that's a good bit for the case to have to grow.

there fine to chamber, its once its fired or gone off then when i eject it, its tight to come out.

Sounds like excessive headspace, take 2 live rounds, put 3 pieces of trimmed scotch tape on the case head of one and 4 pieces on the other, that's .006 and .008" thousands, try to chamber them, don't force them, and be extremely careful. If your not comfortable doing this, don't. Find a new gunsmith with gauges. You can also measure a factory vs fired case with a caliper if you have one.

this is what the tech department at hornady said...

, looking at the pictures, I would say that the primers look good. They still have a good amount of radius at the edge of the primer. The slightly raised portion could be the result of a firing pin channel that is on the larger side. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. Thank you

Well they are right about both things, primers are fine, pin hole could be a little sloppy, but this still doesn't explain the heavy extration, id still check the head space if it were me, 3150 with a 154 in a 26" barrel is mild to me, I can run 162s and 168s that fast in a 24" barrel.

Well they are right about both things, primers are fine, pin hole could be a little sloppy, but this still doesn't explain the heavy extration, id still check the head space if it were me, 3150 with a 154 in a 26" barrel is mild to me, I can run 162s and 168s that fast in a 24" barrel.

yes, i think thats my next plan, get the head space checked at.

In my rem 700 in. 308 win. the primmers look the same as yours, evan with very light loads. My local smith confirmed it has a larger than normal fireing pin hole. It still shoots great, so what the primmers ring like that.

Have a gunsmith put a go gauge in it and check it.
Just to get back to you i did take it in and yes you were correct the headspace was very tight. Thanks so much for all the info you folks have passed on throughout this thread. gettin' fixed proper as we speak!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.