Hydraulic Form Die

EDIT:
We never used Hydraulic forming before only COW or just shoot a regular cartridge in an AI chamber.
Wanted to get other opinions on Hydraulic Forming before buying a Whidden Hydraulic Form Die.
Also realize that you need a full load to fully form the Case.

I can see a few advantages with Hydraulic Forming apposed to forming with a regular cartridge or COW.
1. Not wasting a bullet each time EDIT: when forming with a regular cartridge.
2. Not putting wear on the barrel EDIT: when forming with a regular cartridge.
3. Time to reload COW
3. Time to shoot COW
4. Hydraulic Formed Brass can get you to almost a full size of your Wildcat or AI Case Form. Forming of the case can become more complete using a sizing die to set the newly formed shoulder back about .010". After this step is taken the new case will be ready for loading.

Now you can use a regular load & brass if forming for AI and get some good accuracy.

Disadvantage
1. Cost for the Hydraulic Die kit can be up to $290.00 with Tax and Shipping.

Last edited:
I can see a few advantages with Hydraulic Forming apposed to COW.
1. Not wasting a bullet each time
2. Not putting wear on the barrel
3. Time to reload COW
3. Time to shoot COW
4. Hydraulic Formed Brass can get you to almost a full size of your Wildcat or AI Case Form. Forming of the case can become more complete using a sizing die to set the newly formed shoulder back about .010". After this step is taken the new case will be ready for loading.

Now you can use a regular load & brass if forming for AI and get some good accuracy.

Disadvantage
1. Cost for the Hydraulic Die kit can be up to $290.00 with Tax and Shipping.
Curious about what you mean "Not wasting a bullet each time"? I use the COW method and I do get cases that are well formed and ready to shoot. Yes I do use a primer, and I do use around 15 grains of pistol powder, and... some paper towel and some time. I have a hydro form die that I used for the .270 Ackley Improved. It too was time consuming and it did make a bit of a mess on the bench. For me I believe that unless a case is formed with a full load it really does not match the chamber of the rifle you are shooting them in. I believe that either process is effective, and it is up to one's personal preference. I will make a comment on the hydro forming dies and that is if purchasing one, purchase the Whidden die as it is a better die than other manufacturers out there on the market.

Curious about what you mean "Not wasting a bullet each time"? I use the COW method and I do get cases that are well formed and ready to shoot. Yes I do use a primer, and I do use around 15 grains of pistol powder, and... some paper towel and some time. I have a hydro form die that I used for the .270 Ackley Improved. It too was time consuming and it did make a bit of a mess on the bench. For me I believe that unless a case is formed with a full load it really does not match the chamber of the rifle you are shooting them in. I believe that either process is effective, and it is up to one's personal preference. I will make a comment on the hydro forming dies and that is if purchasing one, purchase the Whidden die as it is a better die than other manufacturers out there on the market.
I had forming with a regular cartridge on my mind in with COW. No bullet or barrel wear with COW. My Mistake on where I should have put it in the forming. Didn't have any coffee yet this morning!
Thanks much for picking that up. I did edit my post.

I used hydro dies years ago, and they do have their place. However when using numerous wildcats, I found it more convenient and less costly, and sometimes less messy, to just go with either COW or use cheap seconds, pulled or for some calibers, cheap FMJ or even hard lead cast bullets over an appropriate load of pistol powder to get the pressures to levels needed. Lyman Cast Bullet Manual is good for this.

With today's components being more costly an sometimes hard to find, I can see the desire to return to or begin using a hydro, but those too are up in costs.

I used hydro dies years ago, and they do have their place. However when using numerous wildcats, I found it more convenient and less costly, and sometimes less messy, to just go with either COW or use cheap seconds, pulled or for some calibers, cheap FMJ or even hard lead cast bullets over an appropriate load of pistol powder to get the pressures to levels needed. Lyman Cast Bullet Manual is good for this.

With today's components being more costly an sometimes hard to find, I can see the desire to return to or begin using a hydro, but those too are up in costs.
Thanks
I think that COW would be inexpensive with just the primer cost and small amount of pistol powder.

I use mine for my .338 Norma AI. It depends on time and what's going on. I also worked up a load using standard .338 Norma so I can shoot either and makes it fun if I come across loaded ammo. I also use an old barrel to fire form also. But overall love my hydro die, messy at times but fun to pound away!