Hydraulic Case form Die

Hydroforming doesn't get you as close as shooting once, maybe 80% formed. Wasted money for AIs in my book because you still have to shoot them to get the full capacity increase - you won't be able to load a full-house AI load into a hydroformed case. Something like a Dasher level of modification where the neck is shortened and shoulder junction moved forward they made sense because the alternative was necking up and down to false shoulder the case into the chamber so it wouldn't move.

I recently bought several extractors for Rem700 (.308 size) from PTG. Nobody (Remington, Brownell's, etc) else had them. Ebay was thru the roof on price! Delivery was 3 weeks, compared to 2 months predicted. I have always been very happy with PTG quality and delivery.
My GS also has pretty good luck working /using PT&G products. My GS ordered a sizing reamer based on my mansion reamer blueprint to make my resizing die.

QuietTexan, for that very reason Is why I will try reaming the die deeper by a few thousandths to start and see if once hydro formed then sized in a the actual Sizing die will bring it much closer to spec. Many people believe you don't actually get fully fireformed until your second or third firing anyway. I tended to believe that but after I started annealing every firing I believe I have gotten much better results. I believe that will also help the hydro form process. As I said most of this is time with manageable expense. I f I had to hire everything done I probably would just keep on fireforming. Also these dies can be reused to make sizing dies if this doesn't work out so no real loss.

My GS also has pretty good luck working /using PT&G products. My GS ordered a sizing reamer based on my mansion reamer blueprint to make my resizing die.
I did call and they said they are 8 weeks out on die blanks. I imagine Manson could be up to that on a reamer as well. If they say they will be faster then I will just get a blank from Midway.

just for info, the 2 rifles I want to build off the 7mm-08Improved is a lighter weight short barreled Full Stock, Mauser action probably. Second will be Savage threaded heavy varmint barrel for informal bench shooting and blind hunting. Probably 8-9 twist on both. Keep thinking about getting an Origin action so I can cross barrels over from Savage to the Origin.

PT&G is 8 weeks out so I'm guessing 8-12 with the way things have been.

I don't like how short the Newton dies are. they do look like very nice quality though.

I just got gauges in that took 24 weeks. 6 after they were "out of production" and 4 after "they're on the dock to ship".

for that very reason Is why I will try reaming the die deeper by a few thousandths to start and see if once hydro formed then sized in a the actual Sizing die will bring it much closer to spec.
I'd think you'd need at least .005 to get the setback on the edge of the shoulder, that's the hard part to get sharp. Anneal, 5 whacks in the die, see if that's enough to get repeatable shoulder set back.

I use a lab pipette that can be set to a particular volume to bulk fill cases faster. Click and dip the tip, put in the case and push to dispense, should get you 95% of the way a lot faster than missing with a dropper.

Pipette

I don't like how short the Newton dies are. they do look like very nice quality though.
Here's the hydraulic forming die that my GS built me per #4. You will also need a modified(plugged shellholder, see picture.

Hydraulic forming die.jpg

Below is my first attempt from a few minutes ago.

Hydraulic forming 1st attempt.jpg

L-R
- Virgin Lapua .338 NM brass
- After running through the hydraulic forming die: it needs adjustment so the neck is not too far forward.
- After running through the sizing die.

Contrary to what you have heard about insufficient force pressure to form using a hydraulic forming die, some of us have had very good success with it.

Below is my .30 LARA

1677980055565.png

L-R

- Virgin 8MM RM brass.
- After running through hydraulic forming die (Whidden).
- Fire formed off the chamber with a full load.

Good luck!

Here's the hydraulic forming die that my GS built me per #4. You will also need a modified(plugged shellholder, see picture.

View attachment 444146

Below is my first attempt from a few minutes ago.

View attachment 444147
L-R
- Virgin Lapua .338 NM brass
- After running through the hydraulic forming die: it needs adjustment so the neck is not too far forward.

Contrary to what you have heard about insufficient force pressure to form using a hydraulic forming die, some of us have had very good success with it.

Below is my .30 LARA

View attachment 444150

L-R

- Virgin 8MM RM brass.
- After running through hydraulic forming die (Whidden).
- Fire formed off the chamber with a full load.

Good luck!
Any idea what pressures you are needing to properly form your brass?