Making your own hydraulic forming die?

TheDerkster

I was just thinking that it might be nice to make my own hydraulic forming die if its possible. I work at a machine shop at my college part time and it wouldn't take much to form a crude die with the reamer I chambered my barrel, thread it to the appropriate size, ream the ram hole, and make a stainless ram that will have maybe a .5-1 thou fit with an o ring groove in the die body. Thinking that a .282 rod would pretty nice since most cases run about 2 to 3 thou under bullet diameter after being sized. Therefore I could get a .001 interference fit around the ram from the case neck and hopefully speed up the hyrdoforming process a little over repeated hits. I believe with the pressures that are gonna be created, the neck is gonna get stretched no matter how I do it.

This is just so I dont have to spend time loading up rounds to fire form them all the time. Itd be pretty awesome just to say I made one as well :)

I dont know what I want to use for the body. Regular steel would be a lot easier then SS just for making it, but then theres more maintenance to keep it from rusting. I just think it would be an interesting project and wondered what you all thought or if somebody has made one.

This is just so I dont have to spend time loading up rounds to fire form them all the time. Itd be pretty awesome just to say I made one as well :)

That's always nice!

If I have the time, money, know-how, and equipment, I might do the same.

Having said that, I'm having a custom build by Whidden Gunworks for $150.

That's always nice!

If I have the time, money, know-how, and equipment, I might do the same.

Having said that, I'm having a custom build by Whidden Gunworks for $150.

Ed, what is John charging for a Hyrdo die? Also, what is the current wait time? I have thought about getting a couple for my Ackleys...

TheDerkster,

Go for it. I'm not a machinist and I make things a lot. You being a machinists should be able to make it correctly the first try.

Id say me being a machinist is quite a stretch :) I work at the machine shop and basically am just learning and working between classes

I made up a hundred 338 Terminator brass from 338 Lapua brass using the Whidden Hydro-Die. I couldn't be happier with it.

I use water, a Rock Chucker press on a separate work bench/table on wheels, and after EVERY use I Kroil it thoroughly. I also learned quickly that three medium/light strikes are more consistent and are less likely to damage the piston. I ruined the first piston due that; fortunately Whidden included a spare and I continued on uninterrupted. Great quality work and great people to work with.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.