Hydraulic Form Die

My experience with the hydro die I had was that it was a waist of money.šŸ˜³ I didn't like the fact that I had to hit it with hammer (rather hard) while it was in my press (the thing I expected to load precision ammo with). That and the fact that I had to fire from the cases anyways to get the shoulder right, killed the whole concept to me. Had to do this even when oversizing a bit (as stated by another) and setting the shoulders back. And it was messy and added way too much work.
Neat idea, but a dud to me.

If whacking the spindle of a hydraulic die causes concern for a high end press use a low cost press for this type of work. Something like: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013005426?pid=176078 $87

176078.jpg

I suspect that if the shoulder isn't pretty darned close that you're not hitting it hard enough or often enough. The whole point of the process is to develop a pressure close to that of firing the case w/o actually firing the case. The harder that you hit it, the more pressure you're going to make.

I'd consider getting on if I had some type of fixture or block I could put the die/case in and secure it in my bench vise. I'm not going to hammer on my loading press and not spending an additional 75+ for a press to put them in.

We have (5) Rock Chuckers IV set up. One for depiriming and will setup the Hydraulic on that one. Rock Chuckers can take a pounding!!!
Also with the Hydraulic Die you have to hit it HARD and FAST just a few times. That process makes the pressure SPIKE fast to expand the brass to the custom shape of the die to match your chamber. If done correctly the Hydraulic Formed Brass should have almost if not the same volume as a fire formed case. That way you can start working up your load for the Powder, Bullet & Barrel you are using.

Not worth it in my opinion- the die is fairly expensive and brass doesn't come out completely formed anyway. Most of my forming loads are used on prairie dogs, rock chucks, etc so I don't feel the components are wasted at all. Also, use quality brass and 100 pieces of formed cases will last a long time.

Not worth it in my opinion- the die is fairly expensive and brass doesn't come out completely formed anyway. Most of my forming loads are used on prairie dogs, rock chucks, etc so I don't feel the components are wasted at all. Also, use quality brass and 100 pieces of formed cases will last a long time.
How hard did you hit it, and with what weight hammer? This isn't a finesse exercise.

Hydraulic dies provide a useful process to reform brass for some wildcat cartridges. However, in my experience, Ackley Improved cartridges don't need them. Standard loads perform adequately while also fire forming modified brass. I described using them as a necessary step to produce brass for the wide variety of Gibbs calibers made from 30-06 brass in those days. Those transformations actually require multiple steps in some cases. There are so many commercially available cartridge options today with properly stamped brass, that I don't do much with wildcats now. More likely, I'm just too old. For youngsters that enjoy wildcats, you might find hydraulic dies still have a place. We never did this at our loading bench in our presses. This messy process was typically done outside using die holders, special oil pumps, and striking surfaces. Occasionally, an air bubble formed in the case and the piston pin would launch like a missile. Sometimes I found them, other times I didn't. Fortunately, none ever hit me. Use safety goggles and a face shield!!

If whacking the spindle of a hydraulic die causes concern for a high end press use a low cost press for this type of work. Something like: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013005426?pid=176078 $87

View attachment 570989

I suspect that if the shoulder isn't pretty darned close that you're not hitting it hard enough or often enough. The whole point of the process is to develop a pressure close to that of firing the case w/o actually firing the case. The harder that you hit it, the more pressure you're going to make.
I agree that if I ever did it again I'd get a dedicated press for it. But that is also adding to the cost.

We have (5) Rock Chuckers IV set up. One for depiriming and will setup the Hydraulic on that one. Rock Chuckers can take a pounding!!!
Also with the Hydraulic Die you have to hit it HARD and FAST just a few times. That process makes the pressure SPIKE fast to expand the brass to the custom shape of the die to match your chamber. If done correctly the Hydraulic Formed Brass should have almost if not the same volume as a fire formed case. That way you can start working up your load for the Powder, Bullet & Barrel you are using.
Although we have (5) Rock Chuckers and can dedicate one just for Hydraulic Forming and decaping I decided to look for just a cheap press like ntsqd mentioned in post #30. I found this RCBS Short Handle Summit on Amazon for $18.99. I read the reviews and a few people bought and when they only received the "SHORT Handle" they were mighty upset.