Needs some help on picking a scope.

Not from what I have seen. I have shot behind 20+ NXS, and 6 or 7 SHV.

They say the NXS and NX8 glass is the same. I find the newer NXS/NX8 are even better than the older NXS.
Good to know, I bought a SHV years back & was told they had the same glass. Thanks for the insight.

I would echo those that have said SHV or Tenmile. I've got one of each (the Tenmile is on my 280AI) and both see plenty of rounds at the range and get drug through the brush on hunting trips regularly and they've both been great at ringing steel out to 850 and both have put plenty of meat in the freezer. Also, my Tenmile is the HX version in FFP, which is nice and light.

I put a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my rifle. This guy told the Trijicon tenmile didn't have alot of elevation ajust before topping out. I think he was B.S. me. He said Nightforce turrets was build better. They had alot of elevation ajustment up. Would take all the adjusting up and down. I am not planning on shooting steel pass 600 yds.

I have been looking at some new scopes.
Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm
Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm
Trijicon tenmile 4x24x50mm
Zeiss v4 4x16x44mm
Leupold Vx5 3-15x44.
Huskemaw 4x16x42mm
Putting it on my new 280AI.
Going to use it for hunting. And shooting steel out to to 600 yds. Looking for a exposed elevation turret. And a capped windage turret. Could I get a custom turret for each scope? That is custom to my gun and bullet? I have a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my gun.
I have the Amplus 6 and the Tenmile HX, both 3-16x44 with MOA reticles; Tenmile is FFP on a 7 STW, Amplus is SFP on the 260 Rem. Both of these scopes have excellent clarity, light gathering, and have taken their fair share of game in all conditions. The Leica glass is just a little better (maybe) from Germany. The Tenmile has excellent Japanese build quality and glass from LOW. Hard to go wrong with either.

I also have an 4-14x56 SHV on my little .222 varmint gun and its a great scope and does everything I expect it to do. I have a Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 FFP ZF Mri on my .22 LR, look into that one if you want to upgrade a little and stretch your wallet out a little...highly recommended!

I put a 20 MOA 1 piece base on my rifle. This guy told the Trijicon tenmile didn't have alot of elevation ajust before topping out. I think he was B.S. me. He said Nightforce turrets was build better. They had alot of elevation ajustment up. Would take all the adjusting up and down. I am not planning on shooting steel pass 600 yds.
Some of the Trijicon Tenmile have limited elevation adjustment as compared to some of the others but there's plenty there for 600-800 shooting. I just returned 2 of these due to that and also I was not liking the glass as much as my NX8 or my Bushnell LRHS.

This is the model I had and ended up returning. The eyebox was extremely tight also. They were on sale for $860.

Here's one you should consider though that's not on your list. For the price, the glass is flawless IMO.

I own a few of the scopes on your list and have looked through and handled all of them. I would go with the Trijicon ten mile 3-18. Or like the post above mentions don't overlook the bushnell LRHS.

I've hunted with the Leupold VX5 3-15x44 Firedot for the last two years, the gun it's mounted on is a .308win and weighs 8 pounds even with four rounds in the magazine. It rides in a Boyt soft case and in that time it's been on five 600 mile road trips and has ridden down numerous miles of washboard fire roads in the back of a buggy just fine, it's had one accidental three foot drop onto a hardwood floor last month when I took it pig hunting. The scope is mounted into lapped and properly torqued Tally rings and I haven't had the scope or zero move on me. Just my experience. If the gun looses zero like my sons NXS did in Mexico on a ram hunt last year I'll post it.

FFP has nothing to do with Turrets construction. FFP allows you to use the Reticle OR the Turret for making your shot. The reticle subtensions remain the same thought the full zoom range on FFP so the reticle grows in size as you zoom to higher power, a SFP reticle remains the same size all the time but the subtensions are only accurate at one preset zoom setting unless you have done the math on different power levels. I always dial 90% of the time but having the FFP option for a hurried shot is very nice. Each type of reticle has its place and functionality. I use both types.

Last edited:
Never used a FFP scope. One of these scopes. Is the turrets built better than the others?
One persons opinion. If FFP scopes had been made available before SFP we would only have FFP. I really don't understand why you would want anything else. Of course that might be because it's so simple it's a good match for myself 😂

You have some nice scopes listed; I have two Trijicon Tenmile 6-24x50, and the Zeiss. I like them both very much. I just brought an Elment Titan 5-25x56 from Doug at cameralandny.com, and for just over $800 it would be hard to beat. I really like mine.

I looked at a Leica amplus 6 3x18x44mm. That is nice scope I think. Does the Nightforce SHV 5x20x56mm have zero stop? If I decide to go with the Leica. Where can I get a custom turret cut?

Recent Posts