460 S&W Magnum might have too much velocity. See Picture...

I used to use the Barnes in a 454 Casull while hunting is North Carolina. Very good choice for deer and pigs...

Remember that a .452 cal bullet diameter is essentially a .30 cal that has already expanded to 1.5 X its diameter. Although some expansion is essential to help transfer hydrostatic shock, you really don't need much expansion on these large diameter pistol bullets for deer size game.

I counting on that....my cast bullets don't expand much, if at all! memtb

The picture really has me rethinking using the bullet this winter on PA whitetail. Out of 14" barrel, I'd prefer to not see such results! After all - they're only whitetail!

Did you intentionally shoot it square in the shoulder? I could see a pistol bullet exploding against the scapula like that.

Try the 250 bonded shockwave. I shoot the 45 raptor aka rimless 460. They use the same load data. 46.7 h110 215m primer yields 2600 fps in a 20" barrel. Deer take 10 steps or less. Below is a pic from the 240 xtp mags entrance side.
20141129_174233.jpg

I shot a Coues whitetail with my 460 two years ago using the Hornady 200 grain FTX at 2300 FPS … at 25 yards. Bullet went in on the point of the right shoulder and exited just behind the left shoulder. Similar results on the inside but not quite so spectacular on the exit. Both shoulders were reduced to hamburger. I was surprised the bullet held together. There wasn't a speck of metal left in the wound track.

Last edited:
I use the 300 and 325WFN's in my heavy 45Colt+P(revolver and rifle) and 454 loads, and they kill cleanly without the mess. YMMV

I agree. The heavy hard cast bullets do a spectacular job. I hunt alot of public land and I only carried a revolver when my children began hunting. Shot them in the shoulder to put them down quickly. Switched to hard cast after some gruesome shots like that. That looks like what I'd expect from such a light for caliber bullet from a 460. Well, maybe a little more. Lol Nice shooting by the way.

Just out of curiosity, what about swaging .458's down to .452? Does that open up bullet selection enough to matter?

It should give you a lot more options. Do some homework and find the one that works best in your velocity scenario. However, swaging a jacketed bullet may change it's reliable expansion parameters! memtb

Just out of curiosity, what about swaging .458's down to .452? Does that open up bullet selection enough to matter?

Swaging is the process of expanding and drawing is reducing. Drawing cup n core bullets to reduce caliber causes inaccuracy related to the jacket spring back a few 10th's or even a full .001"(rare) This can cause a lose jacket to core fit and poor accuracy. Sometimes acceptable results can be had, but not always.

When a lead core is swaged, expanded, into a copper jacket, the jacket will spring back lightly from the dies dimensions and give a very tight core fit thus improving accuracy.

Last edited:

It is common to swage lead bullets, but with jacketed bullets there are many ways to hurt accuracy so it is not recommended. With the 454 bullets and the 450 bushmaster
also being .452 dia, good bullets can be found.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.