375 Ruger... to build or buy?

... With the 23" barrel you would get the velocity for the heavier high bc bullets... The 1-6 range scopes will cover all the normal hunting ranges. And keep the weight down.
An illuminated reticle would be a good asset for hunting also.
I've seen some 375s with Aim Point type red dots on them also.

Which heavier, high BC bullets are you referring to? Accubonds or something else?
I'm also interested in the VX6 1-6, but the 2-12 is barely heavier which is why I'm considering it as well.
I live in Washington state and am not legally allowed to hunt with an illuminated reticle, even though I agree that it would be an excellent asset for hunting the thick dark timber we've got here.

I'm also interested in the VX6 1-6, but the 2-12 is barely heavier which is why I'm considering it as well.

I live in Washington state and am not legally allowed to hunt with an illuminated reticle, even though I agree that it would be an excellent asset for hunting the thick dark timber we've got here.

I like my 2-12. I do wish it could be converted to the TMR reticle. Mine is on a .223 though and the more open center of the TMR exposes enough sage rat, the Firedot both the dot and reticle are a little thick.

My understanding is the illuminated reticle is legal here in Washington Page 80 in the regs. What is prohibited is the night vision, and laser sights, anything that projects a beam onto the animal.

With F&G's speed trap mentality, they sometimes write tickets, because most people just pay them.

Thanks for the additional information and pictures, Brent. Great pics by the way! I love how the rifle turned out and the grouping shot is very helpful. Is it a 3, 4, or 5 shot group? I'm assuming it's at 100 yards...?
That's the stock I figure I'd eventually put the Ruger in if I go that direction. That setup looks amazing!
Does the Teflon coating increase the hardness/durability of the metal or is it strictly for waterproofing?

Group is three shots at 150. The Teflon isn't necessarily marketed as a hard coating but I've used the crap out of that coating on several rifles and it's stood up well. Plus, I have the guarantee that if it ever flakes or chips off, he'll reapply. I've never had to reapply though.

Picked up a Ruger. The older model without the barrel band for the sling swivel that came with the beautiful dark brown stock! Got a killer deal on it and supposedly it's only been fired 5 times! It looks brand new and even came with a scope mounted too =) Will post pics when I pick it up.
Really looking forward to the journey with this new round!

Picked up a Ruger. The older model without the barrel band for the sling swivel that came with the beautiful dark brown stock! Got a killer deal on it and supposedly it's only been fired 5 times! It looks brand new and even came with a scope mounted too =) Will post pics when I pick it up.
Really looking forward to the journey with this new round!

Cool! That's how mine started. Now go out and find some components and get to loading. I have a whole bunch of loads that will get you going in the right direction. Let me know if you'd like me to share them with you.

Once I get the components together and receive my new rifle, I'll for sure get some load advice from you. I'm hoping to use Barnes TTSX 250 grainers and the two Nosler Accubond offerings (260 & 300).
I think the Barnes would cover everything I want to hunt out to 600 yards though.

Well, I have tried to purchase 2 different Ruger Hawkeyes off Armslist in the past few weeks to no avail. Each seller has been listed as a scammer!
I'm happy to say I was able to retain all my money because I insisted on using PayPal, which is attached to a VISA used strictly for online purchases!
In the interim, I ended up ordering a Tikka T3 Hunter in 30-06 to play with and satisfy my addiction ;)
The 375 Ruger fixation is going to have to take a back seat for awhile now...

The Teflon isn't necessarily marketed as a hard coating but I've used the crap out of that coating on several rifles and it's stood up well. Plus, I have the guarantee that if it ever flakes or chips off, he'll reapply.

I went online to check out the product and was surprised to see how expensive it is. It's more expensive than what I've been quoted for a Cerakote job! Do you have any experience with Cerakote or the various forms of nitriding compared to the Black Ice product?
Anyone else?

Which heavier, high BC bullets are you referring to? Accubonds or something else?
You need to re-read Washington hunting Pamphlet on pg.80.
2. Using night vision and laser sights.
illuminated reticles don't protrude from the scope like a laser beam so it would be legal. I have hunted with red dot scope in the State of Washington on a handgun and was checked by game warden. Perfectly legal. lightbulb

I have a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm on my 375Ruger Guide Gun and very happy with it. Last Sunday took it out on a damage deer control hunt. Using factory Hornady 270gr. ammo made a 150yd. off hand 1-shot kill on a doe. High shoulder shot. 375 caliber entrance just in front of the right shoulder and exit was just behind the left shoulder. No blood shot meat. Her ears folded and she went straight down. No tracking involved. If I had to choose a 1 rifle battery for big game it would be a 375 Ruger. Going to have a Timney trigger installed. All my rifles are set at a 2# weight trigger pull. Guide gun is pulling right at 4# pounds. Overall real happy with it.:)

OP, Have you looked at the Steyr Pro Alaskan? That's the one I'm getting. More money than other factory guns but as good shooting and the best customs...(from what my research says and other Steyr Prohunters have proven).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.