338 Win Mag help

cavtrooper94

I'm trying to get my 338 ready for some shooting. I have 50 pieces of new Remington brass, 100 Hornady 225grain SST, Federal 215 primers, and assorted powders including RL19. I've loaded for years but never for the 338 Win so I'm looking for some pet loads or a good starting place. Im shooting a 26 inch barreled Savage 116 with muzzle break. I'd like to push em around 2800 fps I think.

Thanks Much

Also thought I would mention that I am hunting Alaska game. I want one round to hunt everything. I plan to use it on Moose on down to Goat and Sheep. I might even use it for Grizzly if I get the chance.

You will find RE19 to be the best powder for your 338!

My pet load for the 225gr Nosler BT bullets is 76gr's of RE19, Fed 215 primer in Rem brass, this load gives me 2890fps in my 26" barreled Win Mod70.
The Speer max load for this is 78gr's, which was safe in my rifle, but 76gr's gave the best accuracy, 5 shots into a ragged hole @ 100yrds.

The trajectory of this load is awesome and, I bet your SST's will have a very similar trajectory. 3" high @ 100yrds will give you a 8" MPBR of 330yrds, near enough, and should be zeroed at 280yrds and good for all the game you mentioned.

My hornady manual says 73.3 grains is danger close with the 225 grain SST. Is there that much difference between a 225 grain SST and the Noslers that allow you to use so much more powder.

My hornady manual says 73.3 grains is danger close with the 225 grain SST. Is there that much difference between a 225 grain SST and the Noslers that allow you to use so much more powder.
I have seen so many variations in max loads that I take every recent manuals info with a large grain of salt!

I work up to max in MY RIFLE. I will load to the max taken in several manuals, if it's 5gr's more as in this case, I carefully work up to max closely watching for any pressure signs, excessively flattened primers, ejector marks, primer cratering and hard bolt lift. I had none of these signs with this load and a few 225gr bullets.

I have also noticed that a lot of data for the 338 does not approach a compressed powder charge, why this is I'm not sure, but I have had very uniform velocities and pressures with compressed loads in this calibre, moreso than non compressed loads.

You can only try it carefully in your rifle and see how it pans out, it was perfectly safe in my rifle, and obviously in the Speer test barrel!
gun)

I would suggest a different bullet, it's been my experience that the SST in .338 is to fragile for anything bigger than deer, even at ranges over 400yds. They tend to "explode" on elk and buffalo. The 225 Hornady spire point shoot's almost as well (accurate) as the SST but will hold up MUCH better. As far as powder, just test 'em until you find the best for your rifle.

338 Win

Reloader 19 @ 78.0
225gr Bullet Nosler Accubond
FC 215 Match Primer
WW Brass

2950 FPS in my Win 70

Matches Fed and Hornady HE loads

Last edited:
I am shooting the Hornady SST 225gr out of my Win M70 24" tube. I load 76's of RL19 and get 2890FPS out of my rifle. It is also a very accurate load. Matter of fact, I started at 74 and stopped at 76 and none of them went over an 1". I am not sure if I would use the 225gr SST on grizzly's, but I think it will work fine with game up to the size of elk. Good luck, RL19 and the 338 Win Mag were made for one another. Scotty

I am waiting for my new 338 win mag to be shipped from Savage. I am planning to load some with the 225 gr SST for practice and then switch over to the Hornady GMX bullet. In my 30-06 the SSt and GMX are interchangable. POI was the same.
I think the Hornady manual tends to be on the conservative side. In my 06 with IMR 4350, Hornady shows a max around 57 grains but the IMR website goes as high as 60 grains.

Love that 338 Win up here in Alaska!

My favorite load Moose which is a MAX load and should work great in the Savage

338 Win Mag
Reloader 19 @ 78.0 MAX
WW Brass
Fed 215GM primers
225gr Nosler AB.......you can also use your Hornady 225gr SP but bullet expansion will excessive.

This load dupicates Hornady Factory High Energy Load!

Make sure you clean the Bore!

COL: 3.340"
Vel 2950 FPS

Just got my Savage Model 116 " Bear Hunter" SS barrel and action, 23 inch barrel medium heavy contour with Savages muzzle break. Well the new model action is so long the regular long action single piece scops mounts are about 1 inch to short so needed to go with 2 piece. Will get out in the am to get that bad boy sited in.

Some of those nosler loads are really good for an all purpose rifle. Just to throw another one at you. Last year I tried the new 185 Barnes ttsx with H-414 powder and got 3220 fps. This bullet will shoot through and drop anything in Alaska. I shot sheep, grizzly and caribou with it with great success. The bc is higher than listed. I don't have my load in front of me. But to 700-800 yards this is a very good combo for the 338 winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.