338 test bullets?

Longshotjames

I am loading for a 338federal, I tried some 230eldX with marginal groups. I am not giving up yet on the eldX but I want to see some better accuracy before I settle on a load.

Does anyone have any 225accubonds, 210 Swift ScorrocoII, 210 partitions, 225interbond or other 338 bullets in the 210-225gr weight range they would sell or give me for testing? I would be interested in open boxes or just a dozen or so for load development. Please post up or PM if you have anything on your bench.
Thank you
James

ADMIN: if this is in the wrong forum, please notify me where it belongs, Thank you :)

Last edited:
Buy a box of 186 gr Hammer bullets to try and if you don't like them I will buy your leftovers.

Steve we need to get those Hammer bullets North of the boarder I've heard nothing but good about your bullets and the 265gr 338 really interest me.

Steve we need to get those Hammer bullets North of the boarder I've heard nothing but good about your bullets and the 265gr 338 really interest me.
I know. It's going to take getting set up with a distributor that can ship in high quantities to offset the export tax. It's stupid b.s. that if Congress would get off their butts could be quickly taken care of. ITAR reform needs to be passed.

Not to hijack but we need to make a social media push to get people to call their reps and push for it.

What is your plan with this rifle? What can you tell us about the rifle itself? I've loaded for 338 federal for years now. 225-230 is heavy for the little round. I save those for my 338-06.

My go to load is H335 with 180gr Accubond's, shoots great, getting about 2730 fps out of it in my Ruger M77. 200gr HotCor with RL15 do well in the DPMS.

What is your plan with this rifle? What can you tell us about the rifle itself? I've loaded for 338 federal for years now. 225-230 is heavy for the little round. I save those for my 338-06.

My go to load is H335 with 180gr Accubond's, shoots great, getting about 2730 fps out of it in my Ruger M77. 200gr HotCor with RL15 do well in the DPMS.

First, I prefer heavy for caliber bullets in every cartridge I shoot. I agree 225gr is on the heavy end of the spectrum for a 338Federal but Hodgdons and Alliant data both show +2500fps should be achievable in a 24" barrel. (I realize I may not reach this with my 22" barrel)

I have a Tikka T3 1:10twist and I dont intend on shooting below 210grains or I will use a smaller caliber. That's why I want to test some different bullets in the 210-225Gr weight range.
Thank you for asking
James

I don't disagree with a heavy for caliber approach, but I've modified my thinking as bullet technology has improved.

I can't think of much the 213 Hammer Hunter won't do for you.

I would look into the 210 Partition, 225 SST and 215 Gameking then, stick to cup and core since you are dealing with the smallest 338 still chambered. Most of the bullets in 338 caliber are designed for at minimum 338 Winchester velocities.

I would look into the 210 Partition, 225 SST and 215 Gameking then, stick to cup and core since you are dealing with the smallest 338 still chambered. Most of the bullets in 338 caliber are designed for at minimum 338 Winchester velocities.
Out to what distance?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.