338 RUM vs 338 Edge questions

My 338 RUM's run a 300 OTM at 2800 fps and 250 OTM's at 3100 fps with excellent brass life and accuracy while maintaining under a 3.9 COAL and I can use factory fodder if needed which is readily available locally. The EDGE is awesome, the Lapua is awesome, it's really in the little things that a guy would go any of the three.

I used to think getting 300 rum brass was easier, but I have been able to find 338 rum and not find 300 rum lately. At cabelas you can order 338 rum brass even if back ordered, but not 300 rum. Last year about this time, Midway had 338 rum brass available, it seems that the runs are seasonal from Remington. While nosler brass is very consistent, it is too soft for full power loads, much like Federal Brass. I bought a case of loaded Federal premium 225 accubonds with nickel brass several years ago, couldn't beat the price, the same a bare brass, but the primer pockets are loose after one firing in my match chamber. I don't have that issue with the Remington brass. FWIW, I run the 300 gr berger otm at 2850 with a 27 1/2 Broughton 5c and 9.3 twist. I also run 225 accubonds at 3300 and all my loads fit in my magazine and function as a repeater with a COAL of 3.670 I will stay with the rum unless I want to go way bigger!

it seems that the runs are seasonal from Remington.

There is some truth to this. Have a buddy that works at the Remington ammo plant, he said that they are behind on more popular cartridges and that the RUM is basically considered a specialty. They just did a run so maybe you'll see some before hunting season. Keep an eye out because it'll go fast.

Here is how I see the comparison between the .338 RUM and .338 Edge:
I see the Edge as basically an "improved" .338 RUM. Even though it isn't the exact same case it is an improvent with more case capacity. To me it's like comparing a standard case to an AI'ed version (again, I know they aren't the same case). Given everything else exact, the improved version will always outperform the standard (as far as muzzle velocity, energy, etc) even if by a small margin. Some improved versions just don't improve performance by a large margin because there wasn't a lot to improve on.
Given some .338 RUMs will perform with or even outperform some .338 Edges, that is just a result of barrel differences (fast/slow, length, etc) and loading (some people are more conservative than others and some like to push things to the outer limits). Even lot to lot differences in the powder I use (H1000) have given me 100fps variations. But if you take a .338 RUM and see how it performs and then punch the chamber out to a .338 Edge, with everything the same the Edge will have the better ballistics.

My 338 RUM's run a 300 OTM at 2800 fps and 250 OTM's at 3100 fps with excellent brass life and accuracy while maintaining under a 3.9 COAL and I can use factory fodder if needed which is readily available locally. The EDGE is awesome, the Lapua is awesome, it's really in the little things that a guy would go any of the three.

I can't improve on that!

What barrel length are you running 28" or more I assume? Not disputing your info but I have never heard of a RUM pushing a 250g to that velocity. Both of my Kreiger barreled RUMs opened primer pockets in several firings @3000 FPS in 27" long throated barrels.

Thanks everyone for the responses. My email obviously was not working and it never told me that anyone had replied, for a while there I thought I had asked an incredibly stupid question. Right now I shoot the 300 RUM (rem700 sps, pillar bedded stock, factory 26" barrel) I use the gun primarily for hunting, although its kinda cool knowing how far its capable of reaching out there. I just recently found a load for it that shoots pretty well and Im only about 225ish rounds through the barrel. I think when the barrel is worn out and I'm out of college I'll probably drop another $1000ish into the gun and make it an Edge or a 300 Tomahawk but for right now, Im very happy with what the 300 RUM is giving me.

Mostly, I like to talk guns with my friends and no one really knew what the difference between the 338s were. So I figured I would take the question to people who knew more than we did.

It might interest you to hear that a 300 win mag with the 230 gr Berger hybrid is contrasted with the 338 Lapua in Bryan Litz's most recent book. He said only the 300 gr Berger launched from the 338 Lapua surpasses the 30 cal 230 grain for LR performance out to 1500 yds. The all lighter bullets and even 300 gr Sierra MK are beaten by the 300 win mag and that 230.

Imagine how the 230 will perform downrange with your 300 RUM! I haven't actually crunched the numbers but I believer the 338 Edge with the 300 gr Berger and a 300 RUM with a 230 Berger should be very close. Naturally the 300 gr bullet will have more energy. On the other side of the coin the 300 RUM will have less recoil.

What barrel length are you running 28" or more I assume? Not disputing your info but I have never heard of a RUM pushing a 250g to that velocity. Both of my Kreiger barreled RUMs opened primer pockets in several firings @3000 FPS in 27" long throated barrels.

All 28 inch Brux barrels, standard 338 RUM reamer with seems to be about right on the money, two different rifles configured the same shooting the same loads, we can even swap loads between the two rifles, have yet to loose a piece of brass and all have 5+ rounds on them with good pockets still. Using Retumbo, haven't used R33 yet but it's on the to do list soon. Velocity validated over my Magneto speed and Broz magneto and Ohler as well as shooting to 2000 yards so I'm pretty solid on both rifles!!

It might interest you to hear that a 300 win mag with the 230 gr Berger hybrid is contrasted with the 338 Lapua in Bryan Litz's most recent book. He said only the 300 gr Berger launched from the 338 Lapua surpasses the 30 cal 230 grain for LR performance out to 1500 yds. The all lighter bullets and even 300 gr Sierra MK are beaten by the 300 win mag and that 230.

Imagine how the 230 will perform downrange with your 300 RUM! I haven't actually crunched the numbers but I believer the 338 Edge with the 300 gr Berger and a 300 RUM with a 230 Berger should be very close. Naturally the 300 gr bullet will have more energy. On the other side of the coin the 300 RUM will have less recoil.

This is why I chose the 300RUM instead of a 300win mag for my custom build. I liked the winmag but wanted that extra performance the 300RUM and 230gr Berger Hybrid is capable of. And, for now, I don't have any desire to move to the .338 Maybe when my barrel is gone I will go for the edge but for now I like knowing that the only caliber/bullet combo that will out perform me is a .338 with 300gr pills. And when I say outperform, it is not much if at all....

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.