338 RUM vs 338 Edge

Nimrodmar10

What's the difference between a 338RUM and a 338 Edge? Would any difference between the two be a deciding factor for one or the other? A factory rifle and ammo in the 338 RUM would defintely be less trouble.

As far as I know the 338 Edge is built on the 300 RUM case, before the "edge" it was called the 338-300 RUM (or that's what my reamer says). The 338 RUM is a shorter case than the 300 RUM, but not by much. I believe that I read that Remington made it shorter to fit in their magazine boxes better. If it were me - I'd go with the factory .338 RUM....

If you don't need the extra performance you get from the Edge, then you might want to stick with 300 RUM or 338 RUM so that you can use standard dies and factory ammo.

In other words, consider your target & distance. Then, figure out what bullet, barrel twist, and MV you need to get the job done. That will pretty much determine the cartridge and barrel length.

-- richard

if you already reload its no trouble at all. Not sure if the 338rum magazine box works better or not when you are sticking the 300gn bullets out to get closer to the lands, I would guess that you will have to modify either one to throw the big bullets, not sure though. If you are gonna shoot lighter bullets and don't care about seating depth then neither one should be an issue. Edge is gonna have to be a somewhat custom built gun, thats an advantage to an out of the box Rem I think. If you reload I don't see any advantages to the RUM. Like said earlier, depends on the application....

I think I would go with the edge purely because it seems like 338 rum brass is hard to find, while 300 rum brass is pretty plentiful. Other than that, ballistics are going to be about the same.

You can get about 100 fps more out of the edge. The 338 rum is a outstanding round and is easier to have as a repeater with 300 gr bullets. I have owned both and both are excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.