338 RUM vs 338 Edge?

338 edge couple more sources brass (300rum necked up) hornady, norma,nosler, and BERTRAM. Im building 338 edge match throated long but not for target purpose way to expensive & heavy. Target shooting I do 7mm rem mag since I don't mind taking 50+ rounds to the range.

I had same decision and went with 338 rum. Not a lot of gain of fps with the extra work of a wildcat. I've had a lot of wildcats and have decided I would rather have brass stamped with what it actually is. Just my preferance. Also a 100-150fps is not going to make or break if you hit a target at 1K. If you are wanting to shoot 1500 and beyond that extra fps becomes a little more meaningful.

If I was going to build one today I would build a 338 Lapua with 30in barrel just because of availability of quality brass. Rum brass of any caliber is hard to come by.

They are all good choices in end. Guess I'm no help

The cost alone is enough to at least think about something much smaller for banging paper,steel and rocks...not to many individuals can handle either for any amount of target practice...big difference in bullet cost and the brass situation looks worse by the minute...take a few minutes and think...

I was in the same situation last year as you are. I went with the 338 RUM. i'm happy with it. brass isn't nearly as hard to get as some make it out to be, that is if you are willing to wait a few weeks and shop online. good luck finding local!

I shoot a max load of retumbo with the 300 SMK at 2720 FPS. that's not much slower then the edge.

Plinker147 said it perfectly, they are all good. just go with what your pocket book allows.

So I'm interested in building a 338 edge strictly target. But what about a 338 RUM? Are they comparable?
Thoughts?

I have both, they are kind of comparable: the Edge will hold more powder in a slightly larger case. It will give you a little extra velocity, probably 100fps or a little more if all were equal.
They can be close enough that a fast or slow barrel and proper loading can make them equal or extend the gap.
What I mean:
My 30" Edge will do about 2900 fps with a 300 grain bullet w/RL33. It is run single shot because it's loaded way too long for the mag. This is not a particularly fast barrel.
My .338 RUM had a 26" barrel (now cut back to 22" for maneuverability with a suppressor) and when loaded to feed from the mag, the same 300 grain bullet and a little less RL33 will do right at 2800 fps. This rifle's speed is I think a little faster than most considering I have to load it to basically SAMMI spec to feed from the factory box mag. The long 300 grainers are in there deep.
I expect the gap to lengthen by another 100 fps due to cutting the barrel back. But these are two different rifles for different purposes; the edge is a big heavy sit and shoot LR rifle and the RUM is more of a carry all day do it all with good medium to longer range capability.
In a pinch you can use the same .300 RUM brass for a .338 RUM that you would use for the edge. It will work by just running it through the RUM die and setting the shoulder back...I have done it and it works fine. I do however throw in annealing the neck/shoulder to make the process easier on the brass.

Thx for the opinions. Yeah I did look at the fps, the cost of brass, bullets etc.. but ??
I guess if you get out to 2000 yrds that extra fps would help..
Have some time so I will keep thinking on it..
Maybe 300 win mag with a heavy barrel??

I have been shooting a 338 rum since 2001. I just rebarreled again and still went with the rum. As far as brass goes, I recently bought 100 rounds of Nosler brass and 100 rounds of Bertram. I still have lot of good remington brass also. I have run my 300 gr Bergers all the way up to 2900 fps without pressure. Accuracy node is 99 grs of RL33 and just a bit over 2800. I also shoot 300 gr accubonds to just under 2800 with the same powder charge and both loads are one hole loads if I do my part. When I rebarreled this time, I had the smith install a Wyatts box that allows me to seat to 3.825. I seat my Bergers to 3.800 and my Accubonds to 3.720. My rifle works as a repeater and since I hunt in grizzly country that is pretty important to me. Unless a person wanted to step up to a edge +P or Lapua improved, there is no real gain to be had.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts