338 RUM to 338 edge?

338RUML

I have a Remington 700 338 rum I've heard it's fairly simple to lengthen the chamber and turn it into a 338 edge can this be done? How hard is it? Would I just need a 338-300 reamer and a lathe? Please school me on this process from start to finish with estimated cost. I have seen a few reamers at midway and a few other sites for about 140.00 thanks

Are you wanting to re-chamber a factory Remington barrel?

With my budget if I can yes. I just had it threaded and put a brake on it so yea. But if it can't be done or would not be the best then I will save and wait. I don't want a future 33 inch heavy match barrel but I would like a 28-30 inch midweight fluted match barrel. Thank you for responding

Yes, it can be done. But for the time and $$ spent, there would be very little gained from a ballistic standpoint. You might gain 50 fps or so. Are you thinking better availability of reloading components? Just wondering about the reason behind the change.

Yes, it can be done. But for the time and $$ spent, there would be very little gained from a ballistic standpoint. You might gain 50 fps or so. Are you thinking better availability of reloading components? Just wondering about the reason behind the change.

azsugarbear said it nicely.

I'll say I think you have a screw loose.:D

A 300 Berger out of a 338 RUM at 2735 takes a backseat to no one not even my 2 buddies with 338 Edges. Animals hit by either of them never know the difference.

I was wondering if I could build a 338 Lapua on a Remington long action? Will the action be long e ough? Will the box be big enough to hold loaded rounds? It will hold 3, 300 WSM.

I was wondering if I could build a 338 Lapua on a Remington long action? Will the action be long e ough? Will the box be big enough to hold loaded rounds? It will hold 3, 300 WSM.
Some gunsmiths will, some won't. The diameter of the Rem. 700 bolt is .700" (+-). The rim diameter of the .338L is .588. .700-.588= .112"/2 = .056". Thats how much "rim" there'd be left around the bolt face. Subtract some more, for clearance, and you're left with even less "rim" around the bolt face. Say Bye, Bye to the "Three Rings of Steel" the Reminginton 700 is famous for! I'm one of those gunsmiths that won't.

Thank you! Maybe a 300 Win Mag. Or 300 WSM. I would like to push a 210 VLD 3000 fps. I could go with 7 mm case that could push the 180 VLD 3000 fps. I already have good stock and glass. Would like to keep the gun 10-13 pounds. I want 27-29 inch barrel to help with the velocity. What do you suggest?

Thank you! Maybe a 300 Win Mag. Or 300 WSM. I would like to push a 210 VLD 3000 fps. I could go with 7 mm case that could push the 180 VLD 3000 fps. I already have good stock and glass. Would like to keep the gun 10-13 pounds. I want 27-29 inch barrel to help with the velocity. What do you suggest?
If you want that kind of velocity w/210VLD you'd better step up to the .300RUM. The Berger manual shows just under 3000fps as max loads in a 26" bbl. Velocity ain't everything. Accuracy........... And best accuracy is usually under max loads. But, back to your first question. The Rem. 700 'shines' with the Edge as it (the Edge) uses a std. mag. bolt face. That's one of the things that make the .338 Edge so attractive,,, it's quit compatible with the 700.

The 300wm typically gets about 2950fps with 210's and a 26" barrel. 215's will be a bit faster. The up side to a 300wm is easier to find brass and a good deal less recoil. If your stuck on your numbers you can do a 300 Weatherby, 30 Nosler (when they release it. Probably in Jan.), or 300 RUM. I have a 30-8mm Rem Mag that shoots 210's 3100fps in a 27" barrel. It's basically the same as the 300 Weatherby.

Ahh. Hmm. What he said.

No. Well, I wouldn't.

I use Wby Mark V actions for most of my builds. I have 2 R700 based xx-Nosler.

I've never had a "sticky bolt" in a Mark V. Meaning the action will not "stretch" beyond the brass yield point. On the R700, happens in testing more than I like.

I put 3 300WSM in the box and it feed them well. I have it in McMillan A5. I could make it 300 WSM and throat it for 210 VLDs and put them in the box. I think I could get 200 fps more velocity with the Win Mag. Can't make up my mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.