338 Rum Test at 1k Yards

mike33

Finally got a chance to test my factory 338 Rum this evening at loosesnipers range. I previosly bought a nib rem 700 338 rum several months ago installed a de bake, rifle basix trigger, B&C alaskian stock topped it with a 5.5 x 22 nfx. I worked up a load with the 250 sbt spitzer and shot well thought i would try the 300 smk. I found 91 grains of H-1000 to work well had 1 3 shot group in the 3's even though some was 2 in and 1 out figured shooter error from recoil. We started off with a jug at 1060 yards not knowing vel. since i have bad luck with chronohgraphs. I normally dial in 26 moa with my rbros custom 338 edge but thinking different case and 2 less grains of powder i better try 28 moa. First shot high i redialed 1 less moa and dead on elevation. We ran in house and run the numbers on nf program including all info from my kestrall. Wecame up with 2760 fps then ran a chart. Went back out dialed in on a gong at 1100 and right there she was. Left the barrel cool down since it was 84 degree then dialed in on a jug at 1140, again elevation was there. So after 3 different range incriments thing i have it figured out at 2760 fps. I am very impressed with the 338 Rum it ill go along to Colorad this fall since it weighs in at 9.5 lbs. Pretty impressing for a factory 26" barrel i feel i have a pretty good light weight LR rife.
Mike

You are right in the velocity range for 91 grains H-1000 in a 26" barrel. I have run them over 2800 fps with 93 grains which is the sierra load but best accuracy is 2730-2780 fps in most I have tested. Which is identical to the 338-300 rum best accuracy with a 26" barrel although it also will go over 2800 in a 26" barrel. They are basically twins in performance.

I think we had this talk earlier, lol. I was so impressed with a factory rifle tweeked out a little. This gun weighs in at 9.5 lbs with a 5.5 nfx making it a super nice carry rifle. For only around 1 moa difference at these ranges the 13 lb. edge might stay at camp. I had slight pressure with 92 grains and re settled with 91. I had to get used to shooting this rifle off of the rest the control but when you cut 2 and loose 1 slightly you know where the problem is. I had several 1/2 " groups at 100 witht he one in the 3's thought its time to go long range. And still, im very happy and impressed witht he plain old Rum.
Mike

Mike,

My Rem factory 338 RUM is as yours is. Though it has the fancy Rem tupperware stock it shoot lights out. My only handicap is a mil dot scope with 1/8 minute clicks.
My accuracy load is 101.5 grains of 50 BMG (compressed) with 300 gr Bergers. Groups are unmentionably small.

Its a wonderful carry rifle that can reach out.

Good luck and good shooting on your CO trip.

I have a plain jane .338 RUM XCR. Its in the same boat. Under 10lbs with a MArk 4 4.5-14 and bi-pod. I havent shot much past 1000 yards but inside that its awesome (well once at almost 1100). I really think that remington dropped the ball with this on when they let it fall out of production. Ive only seen a few of them, but nobody lets them go... wonder why:D.

92 grains Retumbo 300 grain SMK- won't mention how small, but never ever over .75 MOA. Good enough for a light wieght I'd say.

With the old H-1000 the load was 93 grains. Now that is to hot with new batches of H-1000 and you are right on with 91 grains. I like retumbo in mine. I was shooting it this morning with the 225 Cutting Edge .64 BC at 3364 fps with 8 fps spread. It was holding 8 inch groups at 1000 yards. I put three in 1.85" at 500 yards. 101.5 grains Retumbo. It is a stainless remington 700. That is my go to bullet now in 338. I don't hunt with the light carry rifle beyond 1000 yards and ballistics with this bullet far exceed any other in this rifle inside that range. Recoil is much lighter than the 300 grain bullets.

I lucked out bought this gun last Jan. nib from a guy who won it at a gun bash several years ago and had tucked away. I paid 500 sure didnt go wrong. Of course threw the tupperware away and replace with the bc alaskian stock and riflr basix trigger. Bought a de brake and local gunsmith installed along with a wyatt box.
Mike

Sounds like that rig is working out well Mike! Surprised at the velocity in the factory barrel, but its hard not to like it.

You did well with that deal. I got mine in a similar good deal.

Travis, that velocity is right in there with all the ones I have shot. Have seen a few over 2800 in a 26" barrel and good accuracy but most are right in the range where Mike is to down around 2730 or so.

Travis, I enjoy the big gun you built for me but you cant cut those remington barrels short. I get a laugh out of people saying remmys are junk and wont shoot. I was at the beach all week hoping to take it back out this weekend. I still have that broughton 338 blank you will be fitting up one day but it might be a rum.
Long Time Long Ranger, i know you know these 338's inside and out but im going to stick with the 300 smk. It is definity going west this year just got my OTc bull tag along with a bear tag hoping hoping to connect on a clean lr shot. Going to throw some more lead at some jugs this weekend out to 1100. Thanks for your help.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts