16" barrel/caliber combo for 1K yards

Lapua904

Hey guys,

looking for advice/suggestions
Want to build a 16 inch barreled bolt gun for shooting 800-1k with enough energy and speed for deer sized animals
Let me here it

Lapua904

That's going to depend a lot on what you determine to be enough energy and speed for deer sized animals. My first thought would be 6.5 PRC Bullets and brass are available for it, so you will have options, lots of options. This will likely be important when choosing to go with a non-standard length. My load developed for a 24.3" Tikka is projected to push a 156 EOL at 2575 fps in a 16". That would get you to 800 with about 1700 fps and 1000 ft/lbs of energy. I would personally call that a cutoff point (if not slightly sooner). If you wanted to get to 1000, I think you're going to need to get a bunch more case capacity, and you're gonna lose a ton of efficiency then. Are you looking to run suppressed? If so, you will likely be bumping up against barrel length restrictions for your can.

I was thinking maybe a 7 PRC
7 PRC will result in pretty much the same velocities as the 6.5 but with about 100 ft/lbs more energy. I don't think the animal would notice. The problem is you really are going to struggle to accelerate ANYTHING up to speed in that short of a barrel while still having decent ballistics at that range...

I will not a suppressor
I'll run a brake on it as I will use it for steel shooting also
Which calculator do you suggest?

Everything is a trade off when it comes to barrel length, caliber choice and velocity.

I did this mental battle with my (hopefully soon to be delivered) 6.5 PRC. Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT. It's going to wear a can and I want a gun that isn't unwieldy to hunt with.

I have a 20" 308 and that is (to me) the best balance of length, velocity loss (over a 24-26" tube) and weight. Add an Omega and you have a 26" overall length gun

My choice was all about length as my 26" 7mag was a pita to hunt with wearing a can.