Caliber choice for 600 yards

Toydy

I am going to do a new build and was after some help.
The rifle would be used for game to 600 yards (self imposed limit) up to the occasional Elk.
It will be built on a stiller predator action, carbon wrap or #4 fluted stainless at 26 inches. Don't want it too heavy.
Manners thumbhole stock, trigger tech trigger at around a pound. I already have a Swarovski Z6 3-18 bt.
My question is caliber and projectile?
I have it down to 7mm WSM or 300 PRC. Accubond, Edge tlr, Barnes.
Any thoughts or imput would be greatly appreciated.

I do reload, but have trouble getting good brass, great tip, thanks
I am slowly moving toward cartridges In my rifles where Lapua, Norma or other premium brass is easy to come by. Got bit a couple of times like 7LRM, which is a great round but the crap Hornady brass killed it. Another is the 6.5 SAUM and It's crappy Hornady brass. Yeah, I know ADG is making some brass, but for how long. Just my opinion and word of caution. Good luck.

You're parameters are pretty much where I'm at.

I was planning a 300WM but found tenacity ultra mag for great price. I went with the 30 nosler and couldn't be happier. I think it's an under rated cartridge that doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's nearly identical to the 300 prc performance wise unless you shermanize the prc. Of course you could offset that with the 30-28 nosler as well. I It's been very easy to load for running a 230 berger to 3050 with no pressure signs over H1k. There's more speed with other powders but I prefer the hodgen extreme line in all my shooting. My thoughts are if you want to go faster, get a bigger shell not a hotter powder.

In reality, any magnum in a 6.5 thru 338 running heavies will accomplish your goals. And there's a lot to choose from.

Personally, I wouldn't do the 7mm WSM because the brass options are very limited and they're not the highest quality. You have the same issue with the 300 PRC. You have Hornady or ADG. Hornady is okay and ADG is good but they always seem to be out of stock. I think the PRC is an awesome cartridge, but I would definitely buy 100-200 pieces of brass whenever it's available just to make sure I got some. As others stated, the .300 Win Mag is an amazing option and is right on the heels of the PRC. Tons of brass and data on it already, and if you forget your ammo you can find some anywhere. The 30 Nosler is great too and would probably be what I would lean towards in today's current market. Brass from ADG, Norma, Nosler, Hornady, and Peterson. It's less popular it seems than the PRC, so you can find good brass in stock. It will run with a PRC also. That's just my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't do the 7mm WSM because the brass options are very limited and they're not the highest quality. You have the same issue with the 300 PRC. You have Hornady or ADG. Hornady is okay and ADG is good but they always seem to be out of stock. I think the PRC is an awesome cartridge, but I would definitely buy 100-200 pieces of brass whenever it's available just to make sure I got some. As others stated, the .300 Win Mag is an amazing option and is right on the heels of the PRC. Tons of brass and data on it already, and if you forget your ammo you can find some anywhere. The 30 Nosler is great too and would probably be what I would lean towards in today's current market. Brass from ADG, Norma, Nosler, Hornady, and Peterson. It's less popular it seems than the PRC, so you can find good brass in stock. It will run with a PRC also. That's just my opinion.

Agreed, get a cartridge with better brass options, but if you are set on those options get the 200 pieces of brass that'll last you the life of the barrel.

If you are set on those two cartridges, I'd go with the 7WSW, I'm a 7mm guy

You'd be wise to scratch the 7 wsm of your list. Brass and factory ammo are often difficult to source.
300 prc is the new sexy round, but what does it really offer over there 300 wm? At 600, both cartridges have ample energy to kill. So 50-100fps faster only yields extra recoil.
Its you're call - I'd take a 300 wm because it's arguably the best all around cartridge for hunting.

I am going to do a new build and was after some help.
The rifle would be used for game to 600 yards (self imposed limit) up to the occasional Elk.
It will be built on a stiller predator action, carbon wrap or #4 fluted stainless at 26 inches. Don't want it too heavy.
Manners thumbhole stock, trigger tech trigger at around a pound. I already have a Swarovski Z6 3-18 bt.
My question is caliber and projectile?
I have it down to 7mm WSM or 300 PRC. Accubond, Edge tlr, Barnes.
Any thoughts or imput would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest 280 Ack Imp rifle, 140 Grain Accubond or 155 Federal Edge TLR, great brass w/Nosler. I have a Kreiger barrel, Borden action, Leupold scope, Jewell trigger & McMillian action. I have shot over 250 animals w/shot kills from 100 yards out to 800 yards. Its all about shot placement. If you get a bind, you can always shoot 280 or 280AI store bought rounds. Never look back

Think about all the whiz bang cartridges introduced in the last 15 years that are impossible or nearly so to acquire ammo for or guns to shoot.... Except for one or two they were mostly redundant when introduced. Now think about all the recent new developments and how many of them will be popular enough in ten or more years to get ammo components or rifles to shoot .... Stick with the popular. They are so for a reason. If you want to argue some kind of real improvement it cant be more than a few percent that is at least hard to measure and imperceptible by everyone. Unless you are going to Africa, I personally feel the .270 and the 7mm mag are the two that beat all comers and can do about anything. The ammo prices for these is absurdly cheap compared to the latest boutique cartridge.... Sometimes half. If you are a competition shooter or really really long range fanatic, then disregard everything said.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.