Best Deer Caliber out to 1K

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> is the man asked a simple question about calibers
"best deer caliber out to 1K" , not what rifle , what smith to build it but what caliber.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you again....

Chris

You wrote;
Rings 145
bases 135
Bottom metal 290
Barrel 350
break 125
stock 425
teflon finish 250
fluting 110
bolt knob 95
jewel 245
recoil lug 25

NXS scope---$1350.00 and now the price goes to $3545.00.

That's where we got the $3500.00 price because that's what it is.

As far as what Ray charged you, I haven't a clue except, I do know what I paid other gunsmiths who build some fine 1000 yard bench guns and I don't have anywhere near $2195.00 in those rifles. Neither does anybody else that I know of, especially if I give them my own action to build it on.

As was mentioned at the start of all this, what caliber for elk out to 1000 yards.
My answer was the 300 RUM in the Sendaro at a price tag of from $600.00 to $750.00.

We are all here to try and help newbies get into the sport of Longrange hunting amd not try to scare him away with guns that cost $2195.00 and then add a $1300.00 scope on it to.
It's simply not needed to kill that big old elk at 1000 yards when a factory rifle will do it nicely as one poster just wrote.

Point is, there are many calibers that will do it at 1000 yards and that's all that should have been mentioned at the start, "JUST THE CALIBER".

Later
DC

Best caliber for long range deer woudl be .308", if for no other reason than the amazing selection of bullets.
You'll have a better chence at finding one your gun likes to shoot well.
You could easily find a great combo from 6.5mm or 7mm, so more important than caliber is probably horsepower.
Just make sure it has a high BC and a pretty swift start out of the gate.
1k shots wouldn't seem to require as much in the way of immediate follow-up, so the recoil factor isn't quite as much of an issue.
Seems like a Sendero in 300 RUM would fill the bill perfectly.

Oh now I see where you were headed..trying to.. umm what would you call it .....identify a fraud, or someone who you think is lying. or whatever..... that's right this "big" guy from Wyoming hasn't killed and Elk or mule deer .. so what would he know about rifles or caliber's right? Well, Mr. Heaton if you remember correctly I have guided numerous people..( I can provide an endless list of names ) which is just like hunting for someone! I have owned and experimented with numerous calibers. Let stop to think a bit.. maybe I haven't been been behind the trigger but I have been there! I have witnessed it first hand. Seeing it first hand is what made me decide to look more into a 300WSM in the first place. I have seen/witnessed numerous other caliber's FAIL at various distances.. caliber's that many swear by...and fail more than once! You don't' always have to pull the trigger to learn about ballistics and calibers...
I have killed whitetail at various distances with a few different calibers...
I have killed a lot a varmints at distances you havn't even accomplished...

Since we are trying to dispell people.. and you seem to be very hell bent on frauding me... we could always ask the questions about what happened to you lest Sept. I have heard so many stories now, about what your excuses' were that I don't know what to believe anymore...

Hey if you don't belive in my abilities show up here in Aug.... I have nothing to hide.. but I'm sure your busy...

I'll be glad to take this off the board if you wish....

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> As far as what Ray charged you, I haven't a clue except, I do know what I paid other gunsmiths who build some fine 1000 yard bench guns and I don't have anywhere near $2195.00 in those rifles. Neither does anybody else that I know of, especially if I give them my own action to build it on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Darryl-- So what you're saying is I got ripped off by Ray? I have a receipt that shows what I paid him($1025), and if you or anyone else pays him less for the same work, maybe I did get ripped....
I know for a fact I could have had the same work done for at least $400 less, but I took your advice that Ray was good and would treat me right... So don't tell me that we should try to help the newbies get started as cheaply as possible, because that rule didn't apply when I was building my Tommy...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Oh now I see where you were headed..trying to.. umm what would you call it .....identify a fraud, or someone who you think is lying. or whatever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ric,I ask you a simple question.By you becoming defensive you gave me an answer.I will let it go at that.I think you should have also. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I have killed a lot a varmints at distances you havn't even accomplished <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>WELL!!!!You must have read my Book.The Life and Times of Boyd Heaton to even know at what distance I have killed dem varmits
confused.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Since we are trying to dispell people.. and you seem to be very hell bent on frauding me... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am not sure where that came from.But what I am doing defrauding <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>what happened to you lest Sept. and why you left everyone hanging when so many were counting on you....? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well Ric,although it is none of you business.I will tell you anyway.The day we were to leave my 3 year old daughter had major nose and throat surgery.And my family is much more important than a hunting trip.But I would not expect you to understand. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Hey if you don't belive in my abilities show up here in Aug.... I have nothing to hide.. but I'm sure your busy...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ric I have seen your abilities
wink.gif
Ric I am sorry but I can not afford to take the time off work.And I am not willing to give up a bench rest match to watch you try to prove yourself to everybody else..

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Boyd

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Ric,Just wondering,with the deer,elk and MuleDeer you've shot over 500 yards what case have you used????....300wsm,308win????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> This I would love to hear....
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this a serious question or are you headed somewhere with this..? In light of the recent postings.. I wonder? If it is an honest question the answer is the same from me.. and I'll answer honestly..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You already gave me my answer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Ric,I ask you a simple question.By you becoming defensive you gave me an answer.I will let it go at that.I think you should have also. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boyd, as hard you your try to be very anit-antagonistic or passive aggresive.. you have proved on this board and MANY others you are very antagonistic ..so your nice guy , humble BS ain't gonna fly.....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I am not sure where that came from.But what I am doing defrauding <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

reference the above....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Well Ric,although it is none of you business.I will tell you anyway.The day we were to leave my 3 year old daughter had major nose and throat surgery.And my family is much more important than a hunting trip.But I would not expect you to understand <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of my business maybe not..and YES FAMILY IS ALWAYS FIRST!!

but there were 7 people on the line who were counting on you for their hunt, and for you to tell me 2 days before you were to be in WY and then not even tell me the truth and leave it up to Butch to try to find a replacement for you and let the whole thing possibbly fold and NOT tell anyone what was going at at the very least me who organized the whole thing for POINT BLANK as much as anyone else is COMPLETE BS!!! Not until today did I find out the truth.. 7 months later....

although I have heard, you changed jobs, your wife didn't want you to go, you just changed you mind, and numerous other things... wow man, one call is all I am, and it is toll FREE.. thats why I gave you and Butch my 800 number...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Ric I have seen your abilities Ric I am sorry but I can not afford to take the time off work.And I am not willing to give up a bench rest match to watch you try to prove yourself to everybody else.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That in itself is BS too I'm not inviting anyone here to show off too.. I'll most likely be the WORST shooter of the bunch! Matter of fact I am sure of it. I am going to try to get eveyone together to just learn and share stuff.. that's it in a nut shell.. HEll it might even be fun what a novel idea....

I have nothing to hide and I never claimed more than I am ... others here might not know what you were after..but it was obvious where you were headed.. but, I know and you know... and WE both know what your intentions were,thats all that matters ...

Man to think all I did was post specs of a rifle.... it led to this.. F'ing pityful...

Chris

You said;
Darryl-- So what you're saying is I got ripped off by Ray? I have a receipt that shows what I paid him($1025), and if you or anyone else pays him less for the same work, maybe I did get ripped....
I know for a fact I could have had the same work done for at least $400 less, but I took your advice that Ray was good and would treat me right... So don't tell me that we should try to help the newbies get started as cheaply as possible, because that rule didn't apply when I was building my Tommy...

First off, lets get something clear here.
I "never" said you got ripped off by Ray.
He in fact was helping a newbie when he built or chambered "your" new 300 Tommahawk. You didn't spend over $2000.00 either now did you. I think $1000.00 is just a little less then half of the figures you posted for a rifle done by someone else, regardless.

I believe you even said the one Ray did for you was the "best" shooting rifle you had ever shot when you posted the pics of the groups and also the deer it killed. It was a nice group to.

If you weren't happy with Ray's work, I'm sure you would have said someything about it and not posted any pics at all on how well it indeed does shoot, now would you?

If you check some of the Post here you will see just "who" doesn't give up now. Get the point?

I'll repeat again. Before a newbie (or anyone) goes out and spends over $2100.00 (not counting a scope) for a rifle, please consider a factory Sendaro, Larado, Coyote or 40X before you do.
These guns will kill at 1000 yards with the correct chambering and bullet.

As for the other poster stating about the 308 Winchester and the selection of bullets----The 300 RUM,and the 300 WSM does use the SAME bullets and those two cartridges will kill alot faster and further then that straight 308 Win will.

Later
DC
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd, as hard you your try to be very anit-antagonistic or passive aggresive.. you have proved on this board and MANY others you are very antagonistic ..so your nice guy , humble BS ain't gonna fly.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am a nice guy.You started this whole thing.I would help anyone on this board that needs it.And I will also call b.s. when I see it.And I done seen B.S.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>but there were 7 people on the line who were counting on you for their hunt, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't even go there buddy.I in fact did change job's a few weeks before the hunt.And no my wife did'nt want me to go.But the MAIN REASON was the one I listed above.7 people????Who idea was that???? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>and WE both know what your intentions were,thats all that matters .. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just what are my intentions Ric???I would really like to know....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I'm just sittin here wondering what in the H3ll is goin on with this board. Bullets flyin everywhere <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Just stay BEHIND ME Butch.That way you won't have to worry about being hit
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Let me know when and where. I'm off the 13th and 14th and the week ends after that for the rest of the month.
smile.gif

OPS. AHHHH a "light" ya the Zippo is around here some where.
grin.gif

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.