First time shooting at 1k

I recommend the hornady progressive if you can afford it it's the best I have ever worked with 400 rounds an hour!!! and it's a very accurate powder system too. What weapons do you have? If I know that I can give you an approximate price and a hell ofa lotta help with loads for different calibers. For entry level long range I recommend the 30-06 it worked very very well for Carlos Hathcock!!!! and it has more range than the 308. Also you may find in a few months you may not be able to get a progressive loader!!!

I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 and an AR-15 with a 20" Heavy Bbl ( 1 in 8" twist). The Savage will be getting a new bbl, 22" sporter gets hot in about 1.5 shots and has the tupperware stock. The AR will probably see a lot more use, for the time being at least.

I'll check out the Hornady, thanks!

The savage is the strongest and most accurate out of the box weapon available I suggest a medium heavy BBL. Smiler to the 1903A4 weight BBL. You will be able to do 1000 yds with it and be totally pleased with the performance vs cost issue

The savage is the strongest and most accurate out of the box weapon available I suggest a medium heavy BBL. Smiler to the 1903A4 weight BBL. You will be able to do 1000 yds with it and be totally pleased with the performance vs cost issue

It's not hard to agree on the Savage straight out of the box. I have
a 111 Long range Hunter, 7mm Rem Mag, with a 10x40x50 scope
I am shooting 162 gr Hornady Bpst. I have a 1000 yards on the scope..
We have a 1500 yard target and I use the bottom post and the milldots
for elevation and windage.. I try to keep my loads in the mid range and
not exceed the maximumj load recommendation.

Thats the best Idea keep em accurate vs hot. Carlos Hathcock made 1200-1500 yard shots regularly with the humble 06 so I am sure you can as well w/a 7 mag

Yes, consistent loads are a must. shell casings all the same size. The thing
I can't control is bullet weight and length. I do sort as best I can.

The rest is Practice Practice and Practice.

Again I recommend hornady bullets their accuracy standard is much more stringent than any other companys Their measure is a 9/10 of an inch at 200 minimum. Thats less than 1/2 moa. Sierra's is 1.5 inches at 200.

Again I recommend hornady bullets their accuracy standard is much more stringent than any other companys Their measure is a 9/10 of an inch at 200 minimum. Thats less than 1/2 moa. Sierra's is 1.5 inches at 200.

So let me get this straight...you're recommending Hornady over Berger, JLK, Fowler, Lapua, etc ?

MAN..... I LOVE working with Hornady I just called em to buy replacement primer slides and powder drop tubes expecting to have to pay for em cause they got lost when we moved last month. I told the gentleman this and he said pshaa we will write it up as a warranty replacement and is sending them all free of charge!!!

Last week I called Chrony on a genuine warranty problem and they told me "we don't make mistakes you will have to but a new chrony. The problem? they sent me a chrony WITHOUT THE READOUT BOARD. Thats definitely a warranty issue and definitely their responsibility. They told me to go to hell

Lesson I will NEVER buy another Chrony.

However I WILL work with Hornady for the rest of my days

Apache Sniper

Yes Hunter, I am recommending them over those other companys. Why? their bullets are far and away better than speer and sierra.

Further the cost of Hornadys bullets are half the cost of those others you mentioned. They are excellent match bullets and they have never failed me in performance I have always had one shot kills.

Not everyone can afford to buy those excellent brands that you mentioned. In addition to that The key to accurate shooting is practice If the bullet costs twice as much as Hornadys then you practice half as much if that. 50 to 80 dollars or more for a box of 50 is cost prohibitive particularly when you are shooting several hundred rounds a month. I am not saying anything bad about Berger and the rest simply that Hornadys are more affordable and absolutely sufficient for most all purposes. I would NOT hesitate to carry hornady's 250 grain .338 bullet for Grizzly
or even their 190 grain 30 cal in a sufficient cartridge for grizzly. Where I live we do have em and they WILL steal your elk if you have too many miles to go.

Remember not everyone is affluent enough to be able to spend $200-$300 or more to practice and practice is the key to championship shooting. I have no intention in starting a ruckus with you but the facts of the difference in cost is inarguable.

Apache Sniper

A 270 win Stevens, A 20 moa mount from EGW, A good 4x12 scope. Used is as good as new to start. Box of good ammo. sand bags. most fun you can have with your cloths on. and you will hit that target. I did , you can.

Yes Hunter, I am recommending them over those other companys. Why? their bullets are far and away better than speer and sierra.

Further the cost of Hornadys bullets are half the cost of those others you mentioned. They are excellent match bullets and they have never failed me in performance I have always had one shot kills.

Not everyone can afford to buy those excellent brands that you mentioned. In addition to that The key to accurate shooting is practice If the bullet costs twice as much as Hornadys then you practice half as much if that. 50 to 80 dollars or more for a box of 50 is cost prohibitive particularly when you are shooting several hundred rounds a month. I am not saying anything bad about Berger and the rest simply that Hornadys are more affordable and absolutely sufficient for most all purposes. I would NOT hesitate to carry hornady's 250 grain .338 bullet for Grizzly
or even their 190 grain 30 cal in a sufficient cartridge for grizzly. Where I live we do have em and they WILL steal your elk if you have too many miles to go.

Remember not everyone is affluent enough to be able to spend $200-$300 or more to practice and practice is the key to championship shooting. I have no intention in starting a ruckus with you but the facts of the difference in cost is inarguable.

Apache Sniper

Wont argue the cost aspect, but lets also keep things in context here...this thread was about 1000 yd shooting..not hunting. Thats apples to oranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.