338 Norma Mag VS 338 EDGE VS 338 Laupa???

brando26

Currently I have a Stiller Tac 338 action (Laupa bolt face) and a Stainless Remington 700 with a PTG bolt with a mag face. The barrel I have is a Proof Research that will finish at 28".

I, for the longest time, wanted to build a 338 edge but now I am torn. The more research I do on the 338's the more I am really liking the 338 Norma Mag or LM.

Now, I know this has come up time and time again but I cant seem to find current opinions and thoughts on the 338 Norma Mag. I kinda of feel that it has fallen off the table as of late...is this true? I can go several different ways with this build and am having a hard time pulling the trigger on one or the other.

I guess it comes down to, what 338 would you build and why? I am not interested in the 338 RUM only because I have already had one. I also would really like to hear peoples experience and opinions with the 338 Norma Mag (pro and cons).

In my opinion, the 338 Lapua doesn't have anything on the 338 rum with the exception of better brass. That being said, all of the rounds you have mentioned are very close to the others, so why not step it up a notch and go for the 338 Lapua Improved. 3000 fps with a 300 gr bullet is appealing!

I can only go by my experience.
Due to action choice, my first build was a 338 Edge on a Rem 700 Sendero action. Nice rifle and does everything it's supposed to do, I'm very happy with it.
Recently, I wanted more performance, looked at every concievable cartridge out there, my biggest influence was brass availability, here in Oz, RUM brass is almost non existent. Looked at the Norma, same deal, Lapua Mag, same deal. Looked at Kirby Allen's 338, liked what I saw, but didn't have an action large enough for the Gibbs/Cheytac case, then looked at 338/416 Rigby, more capacity than the Lapua Mag, so, that's what I'm building. It's taken me some time to decide what I want, and, it's coming together quite quickly. Have 200 pieces of brass already, so once it's complete, I should be good to go. Just waiting on my stock, but, it may be months before it arrives.

Cheers.
gun)

I have a .338 Edge and .338 RUM, I agree with both DC and ManumManiac on this. RUM brass of any flavor isn't that great and availability usually sucks. Except maybe the quality of Bertram brass, I haven't tried it. I use it in .408 Cheytac and find it pretty good. For that amount we are talking Lapua brass which would be hard to beat.
I would do an improved .338 Lapua, 300 grains @ 3000 fps is very appealing!

If you already have a Lapua bolt face action, and have had a RUM I'd go with the Lapua or improved version.

My partner has an "EDGE", I have a standard RUM, and can't tell enough difference to make it interesting.

i only have experience with the .338 Lapua. i would go this around solely due to brass and brass availability. my local cabelas even carries lapua brand brass for the 338. its not the cheapest, but they have it if your in a pinch or have a bunch of coupons

I have a 338 RUM and if I was going to build over again I would go with 338 Lapua.
As stated early availability of quality brass would be the main reason. For me of the others cal. mentioned I don't think there is big enough gains for the extra cost/work. But if your a guy that likes to tinker then the Improved Lapua would be my vote.

I hunt with a 338 Edge but that will change for the 2016 season, by Sept I will be out in the Alaskan wilderness with a 338 of my own design....... here is a comparison pic I made a few weeks ago to compare the other 338's to my wildcat 338 Long Range Hunter (338 LRH)............... a long throated design made to run in Accurate mags with Zero impact on case capacity, I can use 338 Norma Mag, 300 Norma Mag, 423 Dakota brass and cut down and formed 338 Lapua brass.......... no shortage of brass there..... unlike the RUM brass of late

Attachments

• 338 EDGE-1.jpg
    338 EDGE-1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 57,278
  • 338 EDGE-9.jpg
    338 EDGE-9.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 5,604
  • 338 EDGE-10.jpg
    338 EDGE-10.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 3,170
The 338 Laupa or lapua improved would be the route I'd go. Once again like everyone else has mention it would be the brass that would sway me this direction. Good brass is important and lapua is hard to beat. The 338 edge would be my second choice mainly because i have zero interest in the 338 RUM and I don't know why. Just one of those things I guess. The 338 Norma catches my attention I just don't think I can sway away from good brass. Just my 2 cents.

I built the 338 rum and have been very happy with it. If I had it to do over I would stay with the 338 Lapua. I have been able to find 338 rum brass and for some reason my 338 likes R-P brass better then Nosler. My friend has a custom 338-378 and a Lapua 338. All of these can be pushed well over 2800 as well as my rum but , we found, that to make them ultra accurate you had to back all of them to between 2700-2750. The 338-378 would push that to 2785 but that is so little for 12 grains more powder. I like the rum and Lapua and have found them to be nearly identical. Just my 2 cents.

I built a 338 Norma a few years back (see sig). The main reason for me going with the 338 Norma Mag over a 338 Lapua was the usable case capacity while DBM feeding, and the positive reviews that I have read about it. I also owned a 338 EDGE and wasn't impressed with any brass that was available at the time(nosler and Rem). My gun liked to chew them up. I know now that better brass is out there but maybe tough to find.

The brass for the 338 Norma,in my opinion, is very good from Norma. I have been using my original brass and have 5 firings on it. Everything seems to be good still on it. That being said my gun shoots the Berger 300 HBH @ 2800 fps, with 91 grains of Retumbo. Consistent .5 MOA gun. I think that speed is right in there with 338 LMs with comparable barrel length. I know it was with my 338 EDGE.

I like the gun a lot, and wouldn't hesitate to build another one. Killed my first elk with it, on the first time out hunting with it, which happened to be a 300+" bull. Two other buddies of mine also have 338 Norma and have had similar results to mine and are also happy with their guns too.

I know that there was an article on LRH that someone did on the 338 NM that was pretty good. Have you read that? It had goo info on it.

Let me know if you got any other questions.

338 hammers are fun, no matter what you build.

Attachments

• PA220040.jpg
    PA220040.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 858
Nearly exact same case with 338 norma i built, almost same load, same speed all of it. Has been a joy to shoot, accurate, magazine feed. Brass is still going after 5 to 6 loadings at 2800 plus. Only reason to really change would be more speed and would maybe do 338limp just cause 300 grains at 3000 plus would be fun.

Great post guys. I'm kinda in the same boat and deciding on what cal for my new build. 300 Norma or 338 Norma improved. This would be a lighter weight hunting rig with ti action and abs barrel. Don't want to rob your thread.

I built a custom light weight packer in 2010.Defiance,Lonewolf,ABS braked.I shoot a 300 otm at 2740.This is a very capable rifle,7-2 oz bare 8 3/4 dressed w March 3-24x52.Taken quite a bit of game at 500+ my son and a friend of his have also.Son took a 200 gross muley with it at 500 this year.I saw a slight heavier model made by same smith and couldnt resist,shot a bull moose,muley and bears with it,same load chamber is within .001.Might IMP that one when shoot out .That on I have a AI 5 rnd clip for.Thats alot of fire power when son and I both pack,when he was young we just shared a rifle.