338 Edge+P vs 338 Terminator vs 338 Norma+P

Having been a LRH 338 shooter for sometime now I can offer my opinions
My first 338 was a 15 pound 30" barreled 338 edge. Thing was a hammer out to 1300 yards. But what a PIA to pack in the backcountry of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. Tried a 338 Lapua with No gains is overall packability or performance. Then went to a 13 pound 30-338 Lapua improved with a 26 inch barrel. But to get the case overall length in the mag I had to use a detachable mag. It too proved to be a PIA to pack for me. Than many lighter smaller caliber rifles trying to find the best combo for overall performance for me. The 338 I have now is about as close to my goals as I can get. Figuring in performance, weight and packability. Plus be a repeater. Shoot close as well as 1k plus.
Present rig weighs 11 lbs 9.2 ounces ready to hunt with 3 rounds in the mag. That includes bipod sling and scope cover.
24" inch 9.4 twist Proof barrel with a APA fat bastard gen3 brake in a Manners MCS stock topped with a Nightforce ATACR built by Travis at RBROS rifles. It pushes 260 hammers @ 3000fps, 250 elites @ 2950fps and 300 elites @ 2850 fps.
It's bad medicine for deer and elk. 865 yards is it's longest take on a bull elk with the 260 HH. I'm still testing different bullet load combinations in it as I'm never satisfied and always searching.
So to the OP. What I'm saying is there is a give and take for the search. If you want all out performance then that probably will come at a price of weight and/or single feed. As you stated in your opening post "single feed is not an option " so that takes you to the Rum and Norma cases. My experience led me to the Norma case but I had a HUGE amount invested in the project already so I was committed. I hope you will consider this and good luck.

The BATs will run Lapua's, Lapua AI, Terminator as repeaters with 300 Bergers . 3.930-3.990 no problem.

I don't know that "lasts longer" is part of the discussion, but Paladin has 1k rounds down the tube with little sign of wear. That's a pretty good gauge of barrel life.
Have you got experience to back up the shortened life expectancy claim?
Not trying to pick a fight but I've been looking at the +P as well. The last thing I want to do is intentionally do something that will shorten the life of the barrel.
The extra speed would be great but not if it means changing barrels out more often.
Just personal experience. People dont pay attention too barrel life, most dont even know how to guage it and shoot enough to see a barrel go bad. Ive built a lot of lapuas and normas and noslers and shoot them a lot. You cant beat physics if you add more powder your adding more fuel. With a gun thats more heat. And your removing half your rifling at the beginning closest to your throat. Less material & more heat. It works though to get the velocity out of a gun. if you got a gun that you shoot 40 times a year do it worth it in my opinion most people dont shoot that much. Me i burn my lapua's up in 2-3 months sometimes longer if im busy but typically im shooting 3-400 rounds a weekend. So not worth it to me.

if you are shooting 3-400 times a weekend don't walk, run away from this thread to the 6bra threads.
Do not expect over 1000 round barrel life on these big mags.

I have also been on the fence of the +P throat.
So after all the above comments in a hunting rifle for a guy looking for most out of his rifle ..the +P is definitely worth it .

I have messaged Shawn a few times ..but now I'm going to try it out . It should serve me well for my hunting time left .

Rum Man

Just personal experience. People dont pay attention too barrel life, most dont even know how to guage it and shoot enough to see a barrel go bad. Ive built a lot of lapuas and normas and noslers and shoot them a lot. You cant beat physics if you add more powder your adding more fuel. With a gun thats more heat. And your removing half your rifling at the beginning closest to your throat. Less material & more heat. It works though to get the velocity out of a gun. if you got a gun that you shoot 40 times a year do it worth it in my opinion most people dont shoot that much. Me i burn my lapua's up in 2-3 months sometimes longer if im busy but typically im shooting 3-400 rounds a weekend. So not worth it to me.
Thank you.

If you want 3000 in a 26" barrel with 300 Bergers then the obviius choice is the 338 Terminator. Broz has been running that combo for years and has seen results on hundreds of elk. Don't over think it. OAL is 3.930 so repeater works in BAT. Im running a Lapua and Lapua Improved with 30" Proof barrels. Node on Lapua is 2850 with H1000, on Lapua Imp its 2980 with n570. Both shoot 10 shot 1 moa groups at 1000. Shoot 3" three shot groups. Forget the silencer you need a brake. I fireform 50 pieces of brass and have 10 reloads on em in my AI.
I really want another suppressor but worried it wouldn't tame a big 338 without being 15 pounds. If I decide to run a brake I would probably jump up to a 28" tube. What's the weight on your Lapua's?

@DirtNap35 look into the XC case.

We've done them all.

RUM, Edge, Norma, Lapua, Lapua Ai. 3100 FPS w/300 Grain bullets in 26 inch barrels is not as easily attainable as you think at normal working pressures & conventional throat designs.

338 Lapua Ai 40* can get you into that 2900-3000 territory, in our experiences anything beyond that you're pushing the envelope!~