338 for elk hunting- Build a lightweight rifle

I have a box full of 375 Rum stuff ..and just scored some 395 gr Hammers ! I have a stock , trigger , and a action ..just need a 26"or 28" carbon 375 barrel !

Dreaming of a Fat Montana Spring Bear ! šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Rum Man

I have two Normas one is 14 lbsā€¦the other 10 lbsā€¦if I would do it again I'd shoot for 9.25 lbs scopedā€¦20 in barrel and a BDL style mag
I tried a lighter 338 but I found I could not shoot it good
My present one is just under 12 pounds

Attachments

• 62525852-875D-4D89-8BC1-3E276FC824EE.jpeg
    62525852-875D-4D89-8BC1-3E276FC824EE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua?
What's your target weight? Maybe I missed it buried in the thread. Build it on a Gunwerks Magnus stock and carbon barrel. The Magnus will handle that size case very well and its recoil. My 7 Allen Mag (338 Lapua Mag Imp parent case) is built on a Magnus stock, Defiance action (by Kirby Allen) and a 26" Bartlein Carbon barrel. It feels very nice - thinking somwhere nigh 11 lbs scoped w/the heavy K525i. Get a lighter scope, and it'd be a dream. Virtually no recoil with the T4 Terminator. I can spot shots at 300 yds, and that's with the bullet going near 3,700 fps. Rifle barely moves.

(Brake performance is rather subjective to muzzle pressure. Photo below shows Kirby's PK. Great brake, but I've since swapped for the Terminator for a small gain in performance.)

Could always get Kirby Allen to build you a 338 on his Stalker platform. Pretty lightweight. Top quality smithing. Just need patience. ;)

Attachments

• 7 Allen Mag - Stalker 3.jpeg
    7 Allen Mag - Stalker 3.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 73
I tried a lighter 338 but I found I could not shoot it good
My present one is 12 pounds
This last 338 Rum 24" barrel is my lightest so far . I was worried it would be tough to keep steady but at 9.6 all in I'm shooting it with no problem. I think we can get our minds wigged out about the push/kick coming when fired . I'm typically a T-3 Termanator guy but this this new ti -3 titanium has been Amazing so far . I'm going to grab a few more here shortly .

Rum Man

I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua

The lighter you go the harder it's going to hit

This last 338 Rum 24" barrel is my lightest so far . I was worried it would be tough to keep steady but at 9.6 all in I'm shooting it with no problem. I think we can get our minds wigged out about the push/kick coming when fired . I'm typically a T-3 Termanator guy but this this new ti -3 titanium has been Amazing so far . I'm going to grab a few more here shortly .

Rum Man

SRS brakes are BOMB!!!

I could be way off base here, but from my experience shooting a lot of big 338's shooting 300 OTM bergers at 2960-3000FPS in lighter hunting configurations (9-11 pounds scoped and loaded) and have shot a lot of animals past 700 yards with them.. obviously not super long range but pretty far still..

I see a lot of attention is put on light weight parts excellent small light glass etc.. but I feel the most important part that a lot of builders and guys forget is the stock and how its designed too use for these uber magnums .. I've shot them all from an original styled KS sporter kevlar stock too a manners PRS2 style and everything in between..

Three of the absolute best for recoil management for larger recoiling rifles and still keep weight down in my opinion are the LPR nimrod, eh1 and MCM A3, all of the attributes of these stocks lend themselves too absolute best control of a heavier recoiling rifle and ability too spot hits at distance, of course all are teamed with either a terminator or the bad *** SRS Ti pro brakes.

The biggest factors for me from actually shooting these larger cartridges in light hunting rifles (and I shoot them a lot) consist of four things
1. straight comb with higher comb height = less face floating gets you a more consistent ,solid cheek weld without added weight of adjustable cheek piece or stock pack.
2. wider flat bottom with tapered sides and shallow degree of angle toe too grip.. =equals straight tracking directly into the shooter
3. little longer fore end so the distance from fore end bipod attachment too rear support contact are spread apart more equaling into a broader stance so too speak .. the closer you get the bipod too the rear support the more finicky these rifles become and you get a lot more muzzle rise!!
4. vertical comfortable grip that's slightly bigger with a palm swell which lends its self well too teach the shooter dont wring its neck let the gun recoil straight.

Just my two cents on my favorite rifles too have and when considering a lightweight 338 smasher that's where I always start!

I had Alex Wheeler build me a sweet set up. Bat HR action, McMillian carbon fiber A3 stock. Weight with scope and bipod is 12.5 lbs.
It's a laser with the Berger 300 grain bullets. 510 yards in November in Wyoming.

Attachments

• 20211201_114834.jpg
    20211201_114834.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20211130_134804.jpg
    20211130_134804.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116