338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

Just trying to get this rifle up and running in time for big game season!!! Pronghorn season starts this weekend and I am still working up a new load for my rifles. Typical gunsmith, waiting for the last minute to get my own rifle up and running!!!

Geeez, I'm not much different. I have four evenings left to develop the 230's in a RUM. So far the RL-33 looks good but if it dosn't produce what I want it's back to the 338 Lapua for this weekend. I don't have a tag but will be spotting behind the gun east of Ulm.

Geeez, I'm not much different. I have four evenings left to develop the 230's in a RUM. So far the RL-33 looks good but if it dosn't produce what I want it's back to the 338 Lapua for this weekend. I don't have a tag but will be spotting behind the gun east of Ulm.

We hunt west of Simms and the pronghorn numbers have been falling noticeably over the past 3-4 years. Used to be we could drive our loop and see 100 head, now, you might see 30.

How are your numbers holding up east of Ulm?

Found out tonight we will not be able to get on the property we usually hunt the first week of the season but will get the second 10 days which will have a lot less pressure anyway. Also gives me some more time to fine tune the load and more importantly get the drops worked out well before heading to the field.

I suspect if you do not get the 230s working for you, your 338 Lapua will get the job done just fine!!! :D

If you want, feel free to post your RL33 results. Maybe we need to get Len to do a sticky with RL33 load data in any chambering. Would be interesting to see load data from a lot of us members with several different chamberings.

Good luck on your hunt and hope whoever is on the trigger sends one true down range on a huge buck!!!

Kirby,
Some interesting comments there. We've been working with Rl33 a lot lately in 338Lapua improveds and have noticed the same thing now you mention it. The 250 and 300gn Elite Hunters with the Hybrid ogive shape that is usually quite setting depth forgiving have definitely shot worse as you seat them deeper. We have settled on a 5 thou jump for both and been getting good accuracy there. We haven't tried a just touch or jam though. The ES thing has been interesting. We got great ES's with the 250gn with 116 to 117gns at 3290fps, but have been struggling a little with the 300gn at 2990fps. They are shooting great accuracy wise, but the ES's are not what we're used to. Although we haven't noticed powder temperature sensitivity, we have noticed barrel temp is making quite a difference. The first shot down a ambient temp but well fouled barrel is always quite slow compared with follow up shots.
More testing required to try and figure what's happening here.
Greg

PLENTY of room, have some on order, they are just a bit hard to get your hands on now!!! When they show up in shop, there will be one on this rifle!!!!

Kirby,

What sort of throat would you think it would take to seat the 230's out to where only the BT is below the neck? I'm thinking about .300 or so. My 300 RUM has a .200 throat with about .100 of the shank into the case. It just barely fits the 2.820 box just off the lands.

Kirby,
Some interesting comments there. We've been working with Rl33 a lot lately in 338Lapua improveds and have noticed the same thing now you mention it. The 250 and 300gn Elite Hunters with the Hybrid ogive shape that is usually quite setting depth forgiving have definitely shot worse as you seat them deeper. We have settled on a 5 thou jump for both and been getting good accuracy there. We haven't tried a just touch or jam though. The ES thing has been interesting. We got great ES's with the 250gn with 116 to 117gns at 3290fps, but have been struggling a little with the 300gn at 2990fps. They are shooting great accuracy wise, but the ES's are not what we're used to. Although we haven't noticed powder temperature sensitivity, we have noticed barrel temp is making quite a difference. The first shot down a ambient temp but well fouled barrel is always quite slow compared with follow up shots.
More testing required to try and figure what's happening here.
Greg

I too have been seeing a relationship between barrel temp and velocity results. Been seeing it just enough that it has just caught my attention and was going to start watching it more closely. Luckily, this is really not a huge problem as in the field, how hot do we ever get our barrels but for casual shooting at long range, it could be an issue to deal with.

In all honesty, I am loving the performance increase with RL33 but it is proving to have a few issues that makes it a bit tricky to work with. I think they are things we can work with and get fine results but it does seem a bit more finicky then say Retumbo.

Not uncommon with a brand new powder and its fun to work with something like this and work out the issues. Great to hear your results. If you want to post your test results on this thread, feel free to add anything you want with RL33.

Kirby,

What sort of throat would you think it would take to seat the 230's out to where only the BT is below the neck? I'm thinking about .300 or so. My 300 RUM has a .200 throat with about .100 of the shank into the case. It just barely fits the 2.820 box just off the lands.

I would have to take some measurements to offer you anything meaningful but off the top of my head and just guessing, I would say a .300" throat length would probably be pretty close with the 230 gr in the 300 RUM.

If I can manage to remember tomorrow, I will take some measurements and try to get you a more accurate number. Again, I WILL TRY!!! Sometimes between now and then, I forget what I was supposed to do:D!!!

Maybe we need to get Len to do a sticky with RL33 load data in any chambering. Would be interesting to see load data from a lot of us members with several different chamberings.

I would like to see a 300 RUM/RL33 thread. I know there are a lot of guys going to be experimenting with it in that chambering. It could be really helpful to all of us.

Kirby, I appreciate your observations on the apparent need of 33 for a little "extra" pressure for more consistent burn rate. That is helpful. I'm going to give it a go with some 200 gr CEB's and see what happens, as well as the 230 Hybrids.

I would have to take some measurements to offer you anything meaningful but off the top of my head and just guessing, I would say a .300" throat length would probably be pretty close with the 230 gr in the 300 RUM.

If I can manage to remember tomorrow, I will take some measurements and try to get you a more accurate number. Again, I WILL TRY!!! Sometimes between now and then, I forget what I was supposed to do:D!!!

Don't get wrapped around the axle about it... you've got other priorities before hunting season :)

I would like to see a 300 RUM/RL33 thread. I know there are a lot of guys going to be experimenting with it in that chambering. It could be really helpful to all of us.

Kirby, I appreciate your observations on the apparent need of 33 for a little "extra" pressure for more consistent burn rate. That is helpful. I'm going to give it a go with some 200 gr CEB's and see what happens, as well as the 230 Hybrids.

I will be very curious to see what happens with the CE bullets. I have seen some interesting issues with bullets that had lower engraving force required to get them started down the bore, especially with hard to ignite powders.

My testing was with the 338 AM using custom bore riders and surplus ball powders. The results were terrible as there simply was not enough resistance to get these large powder charges of very slow burning ball powder burning consistently.

Now, I realize the CE is not a bore rider design but its design does result in a bit lower engraving force needed to start down the bore. Will be interested to see your results with what we are starting to see with RL33 needing to have heavy bullets seated to the lands.

Look forward to it.

Don't get wrapped around the axle about it... you've got other priorities before hunting season :)

It will only take a couple minutes if I can manage to remember when I get to the shop. Walk through the door and see 10 projects staring me in the eye that need to be finished last month and tend to forget other things. So far, I have not forgotten to pick up my little girl from school!!!!:D

Kirby,

Mark,

My OAL is 3.9" right now with .008" jump. Close to what you are asking. In about three more days I should have more data. 100gr is no problem with pressure signs and will be working up from here.

Mark,

My OAL is 3.9" right now with .008" jump. Close to what you are asking. In about three more days I should have more data. 100gr is no problem with pressure signs and will be working up from here.

My Coal is 3.813 with about a .010 jump with a .200 throat... so you have about a .290 throat?

I'll be very interested in your results.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.