338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

One more tidbit of information on RL33. Yesterday, my brother and I tested our drop charts and fine tuned things to the point we are ready to roll. It was 60 degrees yesterday.

Last night, I left my rifle and ammunition for my 300 Allen Xpress in the truck. It got down to 25 degrees last night.

After first light, I ran back up to test the results of a first shot, cold barrel would be. On the way up, I put my ammunition box in the back of the truck and I put the cold rifle in a hard case that had also been sitting out all night so they were all roughly 25 degrees by the time I got to the range. Set up, found a very small target rock. Measured it at 893 yards. Looked up the hold over on my drop chart that I had just attached to the scope the day before. There was more wind today and I set up intentionally having to deal with a near full value wind to test my windage dopes as well. Took the recommended hold over and estimated the windage dope and let the first and only shot go. Landed perfect height wise and on the right edge of a rock that was 7" tall x 10" long. So from a cold barrel at nearly 900 yards, RL33 was dead on the money. The day before, in the 60 degree temps, the 300 AX was dead on at 380, 590, 890 and 1030. Today with ammo and rifle +30 degrees colder, there was no measurable change in point of impact.

Next up was my Raptor LRSS single shot chambered in my new 338 Raptor driving the 300 gr Berger to 3150 fps. I only bring this up because I am using another RL powder in this one, RL50. Same test set up, ammo, rifle cold. Set up at a measured 1098 yards. Again, height was as perfect as it could be, wind got me a bit more then I expected but shot impacted 6" to the right of point of aim. PLENTY close enough to point of aim to be a great killing shot on any big game animal.

Both RL33 and RL50 seem to do pretty well with temp changes what one would see normally in a single location hunting situation. Now if you went from the top of a mountain in the rockies at 10 degrees and 9000 ft elevation and then went to hunt just off the coast of the gulf for Texas Whitetails where its 80 degrees and 100 feet above sea level, you may see more variation that may require some adjustment but for realisitic one area situations, I have not seen any real issues yet.

Confidence building for sure.

All of this RL-33 talk makes me want to re-test my new Edge, which currently shoots very well with H1000. I already have the powder. My problem....Lack of bullets. My testing will have to wait....well..maybe FOREVER!!!:cool:

Today I settled for .005" jump and 97.5gr RL-33. Three cold bore shots at 300 were taken with ten to fifteen minutes between shots to confirm zero. Cold bore group measured 1.1" with MV 3171 and ES in the teens. Time to conduct drop chart shooting first thing in the morning followed by goat hunting mid morning.

300 yards.jpg

Look's like all you need is the goat!

Yea I wish...I will be behind the gun spotting for other hunters with their tags pulling the trigger. All this after confirming drop chart data. Good thing the goats will only be 2-3 miles from where I confirm data!:D There is a 15" goat out there waiting for a 230gr.....hopefully.

Both RL33 and RL50 seem to do pretty well with temp changes what one would see normally in a single location hunting situation.

All this talk about Hodgdon Extreme. It makes you wonder. All powders are sensitive to temperature, some more than others. I use two main powders Hodgdon and RL. If you can make either of them work and you are aware of the pressure changes with temperature go for it...Right now the 300 RUM has changed from Hodgdon to RL. I'm not favoring one over the other but will take what works best for me.

Wow. These RL33 MVs are impressive. The Alliant version of Superperformance powder.

Seems to be similar to that. I will say one thing, RL33 does produce more carbon fouling then I am used to in the 300 AX when using a stick powder. Not extreme amounts of fouling but more then say Retumbo or similar powders. Again, not a problem, just have to stay on top of it every 40 shots or so, not a bad thing.

Today I settled for .005" jump and 97.5gr RL-33. Three cold bore shots at 300 were taken with ten to fifteen minutes between shots to confirm zero. Cold bore group measured 1.1" with MV 3171 and ES in the teens. Time to conduct drop chart shooting first thing in the morning followed by goat hunting mid morning.

View attachment 26449

Could not ask for much better there, I think you have found the proper combination of jump and powder charge with RL33.

Group shape is just what we want!!!

I think you will not have much trouble getting a good pronghorn!!!

All this talk about Hodgdon Extreme. It makes you wonder. All powders are sensitive to temperature, some more than others. I use two main powders Hodgdon and RL. If you can make either of them work and you are aware of the pressure changes with temperature go for it...Right now the 300 RUM has changed from Hodgdon to RL. I'm not favoring one over the other but will take what works best for me.

In the past, I have found that when using modern high performance stick powders, temp really was not the biggest factor in variation with muzzle velocity and chamber pressures. It has always seemed that elevation had a larger effect on chamber pressure which comes down to bar pressure. I have not tested this ALOT as its more difficult to do testing at a wide range of elevations but on several occasions, I had developed top end loads at my 3400 ft elevation and then took the same loads up on a camping trip to an elevation of around 7000 ft and would see more pressure signs even in cooler temps.....

Not dramatically higher but they seemed to produce more chamber pressure at higher elevation and I can not really explain why exactly.

Kirby,

Thanks for posting your load data with RL 33 and your 338 AX...

had no idea where to start with this powder,
I can now safely use your max load of 106 gr as a fire forming load and starting point in developing loads for my wildcat the 338 Wolverine....

Seems to be similar to that. I will say one thing, RL33 does produce more carbon fouling then I am used to in the 300 AX when using a stick powder. Not extreme amounts of fouling but more then say Retumbo or similar powders. Again, not a problem, just have to stay on top of it every 40 shots or so, not a bad thing.

Do you have a preferred method to remove carbon fouling or is it inclusive in standard cleaning?

OK, guys...this thread is a year old and I haven't seen any new info for RL33 in heavy bullets in big chamberings in the .308 or .338 calibers. Specifically, does anyone have any further good temp regression data in the 338 AX or similar chamberings?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.