338-300 RUM 225 Cutting Edge 4.63" 1000 yards

Long Time Long Ranger

I tested the 225 grain D62 Cutting Edge bullet .64 bc over the weekend in one of my 338-300 RUM's. This rifle was built when I was developing the cartridge back in late 1998 and throated to shoot the new 300 SMK I was helping test for Sierra. I tested several throats with different rifling and bullets to see what was optimum for the cartridge. This rifle has a 28" 1-10 twist three groove Pac-Nor barrel on a Sako action. I pull this rifle out on occasion to test new bullets coming out since it has always been a shooter. The way this barrel was throated the 225 CE made contact at 4.07" oal. The bullets were loaded at 4.045" oal.

I tried loads of 102, 103 and 104 grains of Retumbo at this seating depth. All shot very well up close at the 400 yard target. The 102 and 103 grain loads were mild in this rifle and the 104 grain load hit just right. All had extremely low velocity spreads under 10 fps. The 104 grain load shot a 1.1" group at 400 yards with a velocity spread of 4 fps so I decided to take that one to 1000 yards. It shot the best 1000 yard group I can remember in this rifle ever. I had four bullets and they shot 3376, 3374, 3379 and 3377 fps. The group measured 4.63" at the 1000 yard target.

For guys looking for an alternative to the heavy kicking 300 grainers this bullet offers several benefits over the 300 SMK the rifle was built for. It kicks quite a bit less and shoots better in the wind with a huge advantage in drop to well beyond where anyone would be shooting at game with a reasonable chance to hit it. For instance at 1200 yards this bullet combination has 110 inches less drop and 3.5" less wind drift than the 300 grainer. The accuracy load with the 300 SMK shoots 2812 fps in this rifle for comparison. This puts you in the critical kill zone for a few more yards at long range as your bullet drops through it. I would suggest this bullet as one to try if your looking for every advantage when you get that once in a lifetime shot at a true trophy animal. The accuracy of these perfect cnc cut bullets are amazing. I have tried them in several rifles now and all have shot extreme accuracy. The only drawback is that they are expensive. However for the guy who is looking for a top bullet for his hunting rifle to work up a good load and hunt with it the cost is negligible and well worth it. They would get expensive for target shooting.

Last edited:
I'm having a rifle built in this caliber and have already purchased Berger bullets, brass, powder and primers. Seven months early I now but couldn't wait. Are the bullets you are referencing more accurate? is the BC better than Berger?

Berger bullets are also very accurate. I have several targets posted in here on several forums showing excellent groups with Berger bullets. They have made several 300 grain bullets in 338. Which one did you oder? Your rifle may shoot one or the other more accurately or may shoot both equally accurate. The main thing you will notice with these bullets in comparison with the 300 grainers is less recoil and a much flatter trajectory. These bullets will also have less wind drift at ranges most hunters shoot. I test a lot of stuff and just post my results. Most top bullet companies make good bullets these days and I don't recomend one over the other. I just report my results and can help you make a decision based on your expected shooting with your rifle. i quit shooting 300 grain bullets when the new high bc lighter bullets came out because of the reasons I stated. If you plan on shooting a mile or further the new 300 grain tactical bullet from Berger is an excellent choice. Inside of 1200 yards the 225 CE shown here will outperform it.

I forgot to add the pictures. this shows the 338-300 RUM loaded with the 225 grain D62 Cutting Edge bullet with the 338-378 WBY loaded with the 260 grain Cutting Edge bullet.

mcmln fmly 043.jpg

This picture shows from left to Right the 225 grain Accubond, 225 grain Cutting edge, 252 grain cutting edge, 260 grain cutting edge and the 300 grain SMK for comparison. If you noticethe 225 grain CE bullet is about as long as the 300 grain SMK. The 252 and 260 grain CE bullets are a bit longer. The CE bullets are the best looking long sleek mini-missiles I have ever shot. That design gives them the super high bc per weight. Thank goodness some actually shoot as good as they look.

mcmln fmly 045.jpg

LTLR, Have you used the 225 C.E. in the 338win mag? If so, what was the fps and how much flatter than say the 225 AB's did they shoot? Just curious how they would work in the 600yd range for hunting.

Gene

I have shot it and the 225 AB in the 338 win mag but not done direct drop comparisons. The advantage is two fold as I have been able to shoot the CE bullets faster than the same weight lead core bullets with what appears to be same pressure loads in numerous rifles. The .64 bc of the 225 CE certainly gives it an advantage over the 225 AB in both trajectory and wind drift. I would just have to use a ballistics calculator to determine how much since I have not shot direct comparisons with the same conditions. To 600 yards both will easily do the job. The primary difference would be the effect on game since the bullets perform very different. The CE bullet I have never recovered from game as they always have complete pass throughs like the Barnes ttsx bullets I like to shoot also. The AB is a fast expanding bullet that typically remains in elk size animals with performance ranging from complete disenegration of the bullet shedding it's jacket to a perfect double caliber mushroom depending on what you hit inside the animal and what velocity you hit it.

I have loads for both bullets and velocities in my loading notes but they are down in the loading room. I will bring them up sometime today.

LTLR, is there any chance we could get you to do a test with this bullet in some wet phone books and gallon jugs to see how this bullet is expanding and penetrating? I'd like to try this bullet, just a little nervous about performance on game.

Franklin, I plan to line up a few water jugs and do exactly that in the near future. With all the animals I have seen this bullet take down all were complete pass throughs so I have yet to see a fired bullet. I want to see one so this test is in the works. I am kinda like mythbusters. I go out and test it and post the results. You will see it on here good, bad or ugly.

Berger bullets are also very accurate. I have several targets posted in here on several forums showing excellent groups with Berger bullets. They have made several 300 grain bullets in 338. Which one did you oder? Your rifle may shoot one or the other more accurately or may shoot both equally accurate. The main thing you will notice with these bullets in comparison with the 300 grainers is less recoil and a much flatter trajectory. These bullets will also have less wind drift at ranges most hunters shoot. I test a lot of stuff and just post my results. Most top bullet companies make good bullets these days and I don't recomend one over the other. I just report my results and can help you make a decision based on your expected shooting with your rifle. i quit shooting 300 grain bullets when the new high bc lighter bullets came out because of the reasons I stated. If you plan on shooting a mile or further the new 300 grain tactical bullet from Berger is an excellent choice. Inside of 1200 yards the 225 CE shown here will outperform it.

I have the 300 gr OTM Hybr

That is the new offering from Berger with the highest BC at .818. It is as good an extreme long range bullet as there is and whoever recomended it to you made a good choice if your plans are to shoot targets to near a mile and beyond. For hunting there are other factors that must be considered and you just need to run the ballistics and see what bullet is best for your type of shooting. Best of luck with your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.