300 rum to a 338 edge

hodgehodge

i recently got a 300 rum sendero ll with a leopold m4 8.5X25 scope, now what what be some good loads for some 1000 + yards shooting, and or could it be possible to chamber it to 338 edge? i like what im hearing about that setup. if anyone has ideas or input it would great.

i recently got a 300 rum sendero ll with a leopold m4 8.5X25 scope, now what what be some good loads for some 1000 + yards shooting, and or could it be possible to chamber it to 338 edge? i like what im hearing about that setup. if anyone has ideas or input it would great.
I'd try some high bc bullets like Berger VLD's or Sierra Match Kings in the 300 RUM and see how it does for you.
I had the exact same set-up and did rechamber it into a 338 Edge. Never even shot the rifle in the 300 RUM configuration.
I think that 300 RUM should perform great for you. If not , you have a great platform to build on if your after a 338 Edge.

ive tried the 180 gr smk @3200 fps but im not sure if im reloading wrong or maybe my dope is off but i couldnt seem to hit a 24''x24'' target at 800 yds. anymore tips or info would help lots.

try a little longer bullet, maybe a 200 accubond or any of the 210's. they're great bullets for a rum. get it shooting good at 200 or better yet, 300. now move out to 500, then try 800.

I'd try some high bc bullets like Berger VLD's or Sierra Match Kings in the 300 RUM and see how it does for you.
I had the exact same set-up and did rechamber it into a 338 Edge. Never even shot the rifle in the 300 RUM configuration.
I think that 300 RUM should perform great for you. If not , you have a great platform to build on if your after a 338 Edge.

Don't you mean rebarreled to 338 Edge? Never heard of a 300 Rum simply rechambered to 338 Edge, seems that would realy be a high BC bullet by the time the barrel finished swaging it down to .308 dia.

hi,

on my 300rum, I used 200ab bullets, with very good results. of course you have to tried different bulets, and powder as retumbo, h1000, and 200ab or 210vld .
after you will burn out de barell you can rebarell to 338edge.
I did the same, and never look back.
I can shoot all day at 800-1000yards at really small targets, and never miss.
this 300smk's are the key for 338edge.

Not to much to add for the 300 look at the 210 Berger or the 208 Amax both a really good performers. Powders Retumbo, h1000 are solid choices. Once you rebarrel to 338 Edge you will never look back though there is just no comparing the 300 gr bullets to the lighter 30 cal bullets. As far as not hitting at 800 a little more info and maybe we can help you out.

thanks guys for all the help , i think im on my way to pick up some diffrent bullets and powders and ill let you know how it works out. by the way , whould it be expensive to go from 300 rum to 338 edge??

thanks guys for all the help , i think im on my way to pick up some diffrent bullets and powders and ill let you know how it works out. by the way , whould it be expensive to go from 300 rum to 338 edge??

Just a simple rebarrel job cost of a b arrel and installation. Nothing exotic since the 338 Edge uses the same case necked up as the 300 RUM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.