338 edge, 300 rum, 7 rum

Gentlemen,

I am way late to the party here, so I will try to keep this to only my opinions based on what we see with these exact same calibers, during our testing, and rifle classes hosted by McMillan with a significant amount of shooters in one spot at the time.

I read a couple of the posts that were down on the 7mm RUM? Not sure how this is the general consensus? This cartridge with our shortened throat design is usually the show stopper at every rifle course once you start to stretch its legs, say 800 and beyond. This round in our opinion is by far the one to beat right now. With some of the most potential for the length and weight you can build the rifles, this should be in everyone's thoughts and we have not even thrown in the threat of the new 195 grain EOL/Berger Heavy Hybrid line in this conversation yet!

As for the 30 and 338 calibers. The normal perceived thought that the 338 was always going to out perform the 30 has been thrown out the window with the 230 Berger Hybrid Target. Now as you guys already know the only difference in the Target and the OTM is the nose shape. This is why the B.C. is higher in the Target line. We also know that the Jacket is thicker then the VLD bullets that have impressed all of us. With that said there are two things to mention. First Berger is going to be making the 230 in the hunting jackets very soon. Second is I have killed over 25 animals just his year alone with the 230 Target, and it has yet to fail to absolutely impress us!

Long Time Long Ranger and I have had this conversation a time or two already, but to share a bit from these conversations. With the speed you can push the 230's from a 300 Ultra no matter your throat design, it is a serious contender, or does better then the 338's at normal speeds. Now I suppose if you are one to carry 15 lb rifles with 30"+ bbl's then you could get the speed out of the 338 needed to put away the heavy 30 cal, but if not then the 230 out of a 26" or 28" bbl is going to give you almost the same results with much less recoil, and a handier rifle in the field.

I hope I did not jump in anyone's lunch box, or offend, as these are just our findings through a ton of testing that we have already done at the range and in the field.

i also have a 300 win mag along with the edge and i have been thinking of rechambering it to a 300 rum it has a 26 in bull barrel with a 1:10 will it handle the 230 and 240 30 cal bullets i shoot 208 a max now and i have it right on all the way from 100-500yds for hunting. was thinking of rechamber the 300 sell the edge and build a light easy to handel 375 ruger for hunting any ideas?

Big Bore,

I do not have any experience with the 375.

Yes the 1-10 twist will work great for the 230 Berger's.

Bob,

I plugged in the info for my 338-300 RUM (Edge) with 300 gr OTM and the 300 RUM
using 230 gr. OTM ....
The 230 flying at 2950 out of a 26 Inch barrel and the 300 flying at 2800 fps out of
a 28" barrel.

My results say the Big mama continues being the big mama...

Eaglet,

You are exactly correct. Please by no means think I am hating on the "big mama". However what I was trying to say is, that with the giant upsides to the new 230 Berger 30 cal, a guy has other options. I prefer a "handier rifle". To be exact I am getting 2975 fps out of our 26" rifles, and they weigh just over 9 lbs scoped up with our NightForce top end. To get the magical 2800 fps out of the 338 you need at least 28" + to get there like you mentioned. This is why i said "almost beats" the 338. This also supports the bases of my comment for the "handier hunting rifle". I was trying to keep my post in the context that for the 400 ft lb difference, and only a 1/10 MOA wind at 1000, it is nice to have such a great offering in the new 230 Berger in a package that is much more pleasant to carry in the field, with much less recoil. As well as that if we ran them both straight up through 28" bbl's the gap would narrow even more.

Thanks Bob, good answer!

I understand now! No only that but your points are very valid indeed. I'm glad I have
both calibers and can use both bullets! :)

Good Shooting!

bob beck

if you dont mind whats the load that you use to get 2975 with the 230 and do you use a match chamber or standerd my 300 mag hase a heavy 26in barrel and i am realy consedering a rechamber to 300rum or sell my 338 edge barrel and buy a new one in 300rum. I have herd that the 300rum is alot harder on the barrel than the 338 have you noteced this as well with your 300s ?
thanks allan

Big bore,

We are using a chamber design that is working extremely well in our EOL rifles. In the 300 it is long enough to give us a good case capacity to work with for several loads from the 185's up to the 230's. Also loaded cartridges fit and feed perfectly in our magazine boxes. We only use a polygon rifled bbl's made by Gary Schneider. These bbl's we have found through testing are a bit faster then many of the other bbl's made. Which is nice for squeezing a extra 25-50 fps out of some of the heavy bullets. We like to refer to the rifling as flats and grooves vs lands and grooves. This also helps with less throat wear, and less chamber pressure. Of course work up on your own load in your personal rifle with attention to pressure signs, but I am using H1000 at 91 grains in my 300 with the 230's at 2975 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.