338 EDGE at 1000 yards

remingtonman_25_06

My dad and I were finally able to get out and shoot our new rifle at 1000 yards. The wind was blowing about 10 MPH, but was more of a quartering wind, it would have to do. We were shooting out of the back of the truck, laying prone with harris bi-pod and a bag of shot for a rear rest. I have a 15" and 10" plate set up at 1000 yards.

Exbal called for 25.5 MOA from a 100 yard zero with a MV of 2800fps with the 300g SMK. I also dialed in 3 MOA for the wind. With my dad spotting, I let the first shot go at the 15" plate. Way low and way right! I way over compensated for the wind, man these 300g really buck the wind!! I never over compensate for wind. My dad said it appeared to be at least a couple feet low. I added 3 MOA and dropped the wind down to 2 MOA. I let the 2nd shot go and this time it landed way high and still to the right quite a bit. I was still over compensating for the wind. I dropped the wind down to 1 MOA and then dropped my elevation down 1.5 MOA from the previous setting. My 3rd shot was dang close to the 15" plate, landing just right and a little high. Ok I thought, I got it now, the 4th shot is going to ring true. I let the barrel cool for a couple minutes cut my wind 1 more click so I was only at 3/4 MOA, and I was now at 27.5 MOA for elevation. I let the 4th shot go and a little more then a second later heard that great sound of bullet slapping steel. My shot was perfect for wind, but about 4" low of the center of the plate. I added 1 click for elevation and considered 27.75 MOA to be the 1000 yard zero. After that, I told my dad to get up here and sling one downrange. He hasn't ever shot 1000 yards and he didn't think he ever could really. Well he got all set up, I was spotting. I told him to just aim dead center and squeeze the trigger. I heard the rifle go off, and once again heard that great sound of bullet slapping steel. His first shot at 1000 yards was a hit, in a double kind of way! He jumped up and was cussing like a sailor. He let that 338 EDGE free recoil and he ended up scoping himself pretty dang good. Needless to say, he was done for the day. 1 for 1 aint to bad though, lol. I was laughing so hard. Probly wasn't to funny to him though. After that, I decided to try my luck at the 10" plate. My first shot just barely missed the left edge, dead center. My 2nd shot just barely missed the right edge, dead center. I really concentrated on my 3rd shot and finally I heard that great sound I love to hear. Almost a perfect dead center hit! It almost ripped my gong off my frame, actually it was hanging by 1 piece of string. I need to figure something different out for supporting the hits of that 300g slug. Needless to say, all 3 shots would have killed a deer, bear, or elk most definately so I was tickled pink! All in all, it was a good day of shooting IMO. Here are a couple pics. Hope you all enjoy.

This is my shot on the 10" plate.

20i6xxw.jpg

This was the first hit on the 15" plate. Dead center, but a little low.

29lmvb9.jpg

This is my dads first attempt at 1000 yards, and was successfull!!! Can you see the battle wound? LOL.

fwm62a.jpg

You had better bring that thing to the Ione T.V shoot this year, those other guys won't stand a chance against that beast.

I went the last two years, they have actually stopped shooting T.V's, and shoot at gongs....I don't know how they can even call it a T.V. shoot??

Anyways, good shooting guys. Sounds like theres alot of energy on the target when the bullet gets there :D

Now that's a good day indeed. Well your dad may not be as excited as you but when that wound heals and he realizes what he did, he may cheer up a bit :)

Any idea on it's velocity at 1,000 and if so, have you figured out the energy yet? I guess I could always ask Shawn for a ballpark figure, or even look it up on here. It's Sunday though so I'm in a lazy mood.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.