.338-06

For some reason I have always had it in the back of my mind to buy a .338-06. Could be that at one one time I had the Remington 700 Classic in the 35 Whelen.
My son ended up with it and for some strange reason use it for shooting Jackrabbits out here in the Desert.

Does anyone have one?.......... I see that it will easily push a 185gr Hornady GMX @ 3000 FPS.......... and I see that Cooper offers that Cartridge. What a thought with a 24" Barrel.
Could be that Elmer Keith used the .333 OKH, almost the same. Something about the good old days.
I have a .30-06 AI that will push a 185 VLD to 3K. If you went with a .300 Sherman it will push it even faster.

2900fps from a 338 Sherman? I can't get that with a 338 Win Mag

That is because Superformance is unlikely to offer any gains in the Win Mag case capacity. Based on my experience with RL-26 and 250 Bergers in the 338 Sherman, my best guess is that you could come pretty close with that combination and a 26" barrel in a Win Mag.

Greg, I love the 338-06 and in the words of a famous Alaskan named "Murphy" ...."The only rifle cartridge ever built on the 30-06 parent cartridge that was actually better than the 30-06 is the 338-06".
I dunno you from Adam but I always felt sorry for Adam cuz he only had one one woman to choose from and she took up with a snake and we fellers have been paying for it ever since! Don't ask me where that came from...just an old man babbling. Anyway I don't go to the mountains anymore and sold my 338-06 but still have a brand new set of RCBS 338-06 dies and I'll donate them to your project if you like!

If you want them email me.... [email protected]

L:DL! For a babbling old man, you managed to stay on course and your offer to the OP is commendable, WTG. Cheers!

My first full custom rifle is built on a 338-06 barrel, Brno VZ-24 action, Grade 10 English walnut classic american stock, Timney Sportsman Deluxe trigger, Gentry 3 position safety and Rechnagel botton metal.
I love the fact that you can eat right up to the bullet hole with this cartridge, it ruins far less meat than my 30 cals or 6.5's and my 338 WM only bloodshots a little more than the 338-06.

I absolutely LOVE the 338 cal, I have 4 rifles in this calibre, 338-06, 338WM, 338 Edge & 338/416 Rigby Improved.

I am silly though, I built the Edge for F-Class before I ever looked at the rules, here, nothing over .323" is allowed!
Still, it is a wonderful long range monster of a cartridge. The 338/416 RI is a beast, but not practical for most hunting situations unless I shoot from my truck as it weighs over 15lbs.o_O

I have only ever used 210gr Partitions in my 338-06, I was given a lifetime supply of them back when the rifle was built.
They are the old version with the cannelure adjacent the partition. No deer has ever complained from being hit by a 30 year old bullet.

Cheers.
:)

I had my .338-06AI built before I knew about the Sherman, (It is where I would have gone had I known) but I am running 2946 average with a 185 TTSX with excellent accuracy, Reloader 15. PacNor barrel on a Savage action.

I am renewing this thread. The .338-06 or in a modern undated version like the .338-06AI is a cartridge I have always felt fits far more Americans needs when it comes to shooting animals like elk, moose, black bear, and even grizzly that the average American can learn to shoot more accurately and faster that any of the .30 caliber and larger Magnums. The .338 caliber has far more extra premium controlled expansion deep penetrating bullets capable of smashing big bones to choose from than other large calibers. They also have higher ballistic coefficients. This cartridge is capable of taking all of North America's Big Game with far lighter recoil and faster sight recovery. Unfortunately the major rifle manufacturers have favored ever bigger Magnum cartridges that ever fewer Americans can actually shoot accurately much less shoot enough in practice to become second nature in its trajectory at all its practical ranges.

If only the ammo manufacturers and rifle makers cared more about what was practical than what was the latest CRAZE. Yes, the ultra-fast magnums shoot flatter however they also burn barrels out faster. Me, I prefer a heavy for caliber high B.C. bullet at medium velocity out of a medium heavy barrel. It carries its velocity and energy better and hits harder making a bigger wound channel and exiting the animal helping leave better sign if I must trail the animal. It also breaks heavy bone better and penetrates heavy muscle penetrating deeper to do more damage. This another reason I like to get as close as I can before I shoot as it lessens the variables because I want to know I can place the bullet within an inch or two for sure of my aiming point for my first shot. Practice and a great scope with the proper reticle will get you on target just as fast as a flat shooting cartridge.

Even loading the .338 Winchester Mag with very high B.C. 265gr. to 300gr. bullets (0.700+) is possible these days at moderate velocity.

Last edited:
I have a 338/06 /284 switch barrel rifle, it's an accurate cartridge with tolerable recoil. Mine weighs in at 6.8 lbs or 7.5 with Leupold vx11 3-9. I only put it on if I draw a bear tag.

For some reason I have always had it in the back of my mind to buy a .338-06. Could be that at one one time I had the Remington 700 Classic in the 35 Whelen.
My son ended up with it and for some strange reason use it for shooting Jackrabbits out here in the Desert.

Does anyone have one?.......... I see that it will easily push a 185gr Hornady GMX @ 3000 FPS.......... and I see that Cooper offers that Cartridge. What a thought with a 24" Barrel.
Could be that Elmer Keith used the .333 OKH, almost the same. Something about the good old days.

Seems to me, the 338 Win Mag is the one that comes closest to Keith's 333 OKH. I have a friend that got himself a 338-06. He liked it so much, it built another. There's something to be said for a big, slow projectile that busts up everything in it's path. I can tell you, I wouldn't mind a more sedate recoiling rifle than the 338 Win Mag.

You know Mike 338, I have many times considered having a .338-06 built but I really don't want to get into reloading at this point in my life. I hear the .338 Ruger pretty closely duplicates the .338-06. I wonder if anyone has any experience with it?

I really like the Ruger Guide Rifle's handling qualities and its laminated stock.

You know Mike 338, I have many times considered having a .338-06 built but I really don't want to get into reloading at this point in my life. I hear the .338 Ruger pretty closely duplicates the .338-06. I wonder if anyone has any experience with it?

I really like the Ruger Guide Rifle's handling qualities and its laminated stock.

Did some poking around. Seems the 338-06 and the 338 Compact Ruger Magnum have almost the same case capacity with the RCM having just 2 grains of water more case volume. Like the short-mags, short fat cases tend to do more with less. Not sure about recoil.

I love the way Rugers feel. Never had one shoot very well for me though. Tons of guys swear by them though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.