.338-06..?

Barrell finally got here. I picked up a Kreiger. 338 barrels are tough to get...224-308 caliber by the dozen but something larger is like chicken teeth.

Anyway to get everything boxed up and packed in tight and send to my gunsmith for him to make his magic on it.

Sully

I had planned on having a .338/280 Improved made up, back in the early '90s. I had an opportunity to hunt in south Africa in '95, and didn't really have the time (or money) to have the rifle made up. Instead, I happened upon a Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelan. I had it reamed to the Ackley Improved, set it up with the old Barnes 250X and had a ball on plains game, ha. I was 'ruined" then for a 338/06 derivative, jumped straight up to the 340 w from there,etc. I used that Whelan AI a lot, but recently had the rifle converted/rebarreled to the 358 Norma Mag. So far, it has been a shooter. I think you will absolutely "love" your 338/06, especially with the 210s, but don't neglect the Barnes 160TTSX...I get a solid 3000fps from my 338 Federal with it and TAC. Your 338/06 will send it along much faster! Good luck to you Pard!

I think I'm pretty positive that I'll be building a 338-06 AI sometime this year. The 338-06 sounds like a heck of a round and should be a great game getter.

I am thinking about getting a 338 Sherman reamer if you are interested. Pretty sure I can reach 3000 with a 225......Rich

Last edited:
I am thinking about getting a 338 Sherman reamer if you are interested. Pretty sure I can exceed 3000 with a 225......Rich

Now THAT sounds VERY interesting. Shortgrass is building a 338-06AI for me. If you do get a .338 Sherman reamer, I would be interested in stepping up to the Sherman after my rifle is built. With the AI, I estimate 2850 with a 225 from a 26" barrel. I have also been taking a hard look at the CE 200 MTH. Looks like I should be able to run it @ 3050ish loaded to mag length. It also looks to me like I may be able to run the 285 Hornadys almost as fast as the Berger 250's (2600ish), with a better bc.

It would be interesting to see what the Sherman could offer. 3k with 225's would be darned impressive (and slightly above .338 Win Mag numbers I have seen produced by experienced members here, such as LTLR).

I have a barrel that was JUNK on my 6.5 Sherman, so I was thinking strongly about doing a 338 Sherman instead of a 6.5 re barrel. I wanted to do one anyway so this would give me an excuse. If there were a couple more guys interested, I would have a reamer ordered.......Rich

I'll pass on a positive vote for the 338-06. I built one on a savage action and loved it. Kick is way less than my 338 win and it shot EVERYTHING 1 MOA or less. I shot 185 tsx, 200 Speer shy, 215 Sierra, and 225 hornady spbt interlock out of it. Wish I would have kept it. Met a guy who had to have it and I had an itch for a new project anyways:cool:.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts