338-06

birdrl

I am planning on building a 338-06 using an older rem 700 ADL 30-06 I have. I currently shoot a 338WM and a 358NM. I shoot every weekend and don't mind the recoil, but it is causing me some neck problems. From what I have researched the 338-06 doesn't have the heavy recoil the 338WM and the 358NM have. I really do not like muzzle breaks, and don't want to use one. Other than target shooting I do use the rifles for elk hunting every fall. I'm thinking about a 28 inch barrel with a 1 in 10 twist for the Barnes 210 gr ttsx. Was wondering if any one here had any advice on this project. Thanks

The 338-06 is very close to the well-proven 35 Whelan (also based on 30-06 case) in terms of ballistics. More people seem to be gravitating to the 338-06 because of better bullet selection. You shouldn't need a 28" barrel unless you are looking for marginal increased velocity. I would think 24"-26" is all you need.

If you can get the TSX to shoot well through your barrel, they are absolutely leathal. I love 'em, but they don't always give me the accuracy I need in many rifles. A fantastic elk round.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on the barrel length, you are right it doesn't appear I would gain much in velocity. Regarding the 210 gr tsx. I have shot a couple of hundred thru my A-Bolt 338WM. It took a while to find the right load and seating depth. When I did the accuracy really came in. 74.5 gr RL19, Fed gm215m primers and .070 off the lands. Hoping I can come up with the same accuracy in the 338-06. Thanks Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.