338-06

trueblue

Wanted to know if anyone on this forum has owned or reloaded for a 338-06. I have a 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard with a bad barrel, i was thinking of rebarreling for 338-06 , or just going back with a new 26" barrel in the same 30-06 caliber. This would be a lite carry gun for elk. Any thoughts?

A 30-06 with a 26" barrel would be an excellent way to go IMHO that will give plenty of power and a reasonable amount of long range ability.

+1 bump as I would love to know more about the 338-06. Surely there are some shooters out there with experience shooting this round.

I had one. Did not have a good smith to build it so it drove me a little crazy trying to get trying to get it to shoot. I ended up having it reworked after that it was okay. I used 180 grain bullets the best I remember around 2800fps. If you decide to build one contact me I still have the dies. Dan

The 338-06 is about 100 FPS slower than the 338 Win. Mag. both are good general purpose hunting cartridges but, neither are great long range hunting cartridges. Since this site is devoted to Long Range Hunting you probable will not get much play here.

I've had one for 26 years and think it's a great elk and moose cartridge. My rifle is a pre-64 Win M70 that started as a .30-06. It was rebored and then stocked in French walnut. I load 210 gr. Nosler Partitions and IMR 4064 powder. Moose and elk here in Wyoming and Colorado have fallen to it and all with one shot. It's a very efficient cartridge, gets the job done without the recoil of a magnum.

I appreciate the replies. While I understand this is a long range hunting site I was curious what to do with my Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 that needs to be rebarreled. I have been looking at other caliber options as well. In the opinion of this forum, what would be a long range caliber that I could rebarrel this rifle to that would work on this action? The 30-06 ballistically seems effective to say 400-500 yards, correct me if I am wrong. I am looking for something farther with this rifle. Would the 6.5-06, 6.5-284 possibly be an option ?

The 30-06 has made many a winner at 1000 yard matches...
As for a single cartridge the 06 has put down animals past
600 yards with one shot kills quickly and humanly.
Looking at other bullets the 280 AI is a good choice.

I would not hesitate to take Deer with an 06 to 700 yards or maybe farther. Dave King and Ian McMurchy have taken Deer to at least 700 yards with the 308 Win. I have a 30-06 with a 26 3/4" Krieger barrel that gets 3020 FPS with 168 grain bullets and just shy of 2900 with 175, 180 grains. That is the type of purformance that a properly set up 06 can get.
Also a 6.5-284 or 6.5-06 are both excelent options as well as is the 280 AI. The 280 AI will nearly equal the 7mm Rem mag in performance. Many options to choose from.

Thanks for the response. I am only getting about 2700 fps out of this rig at present , because of the barrel only being 22". So, I guess a rebarrel at 26" would be the ticket. I think I will research the 280AI, and 6.5-06 just for kicks though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.