.338-06..?

Sully2

Anyone use one or have one? Any experience with this caliber? Im pondering it because it fills certain gaps I have in my gun safe

Thanks

My in law uses a 338/06 for his western hunting. He has dope to 500yds and if he gets inside that range stuff dies. He built it on a Springfield 03A3. He folded up a 4x4 mule deer last year in Mt at 280 but missed out on an elk he wouldn't shoot at over his 500yd self imposed limit

I think I'm pretty positive that I'll be building a 338-06 AI sometime this year. The 338-06 sounds like a heck of a round and should be a great game getter.

I've got both a 35 whelen and a 338win. Unless you are recoil intolerant, I'd go with the 338win or even bigger like the Lapua... I like my whelen a lot, but it just isn't good for more than a few hundred yards...

I have had a 338-06AI, on a VZ-24 mauser action, in the works for quite some time. I think the 338-06 (and/or the AI version) is essentially a niche cartridge. Whether or not it makes sense depends on what you are putting it in and what you want the cartridge to do. From a mauser action, using the right bullets, I believe I can get performance roughly equivalent to standard factory .300 Win Mag ballistics, from a cartridge whose geometry is more of a natural fit to the mauser action.

To really take advantage of the potential to be had in .338, one needs to go with a cartridge capable of pushing the 300 grain bullets to 2900 or so. Neither the Win Mag, nor the 338-06, can come anywhere close to doing that. Both cartridges are really at their best with bullets in the 200 to 225 grain class. It looks to me like the 338-06 benefits more from the powders and bullets currently available than the .338 Win Mag does, making the performance gap between the two even narrower than it already was. In something like a Remington 700, where there is enough length to run the 250's long, there may be enough of a performance edge to tip the scales in favor of the Win Mag.

However, current powders and bullets have elevated the performance of the .300 Win Mag, and even the 30-06, to the point that it makes the smaller cased .338's hard to justify from a pure ballistic standpoint. None of them can run with a .300 Win Mag set up to shoot Berger 215's or the newer bullets from Hornady. To beat that performance, you pretty much have to step up to something in the .338 Lapua class. Done right, the .338 Lapua really needs beefier, more expensive actions, making a considerable leap in cost over a .300 Win Mag.

I plan to tinker with my 338-06AI a lot and I expect to enjoy shooting it, within its limitations. It will never be a .338 Lapua, or even the equal of a .300 Win Mag with the 215 Berger class bullets. Whether or not a person would be happy with the 338-06 really depends on pesonal desires and expectations.

I have one built on a 1916 built VZ24 Brno '98 Mauser. It is my fave cartridge for deer. I use 210gr Partitions exclusively. It takes everything it touches without fuss, doesn't ruin meat and prints little clovers regularly without trying very hard.
I used mine in Canada just after I built it, it took a Kodiak bear cleanly with a 250gr Partition, no follow up shot was required or used.
The recoil is like that of the 30-06 with 220gr bullets. Not tiresome in any way. It really is a pussycat to use and load for.
I really like the 33 cal, that's why I have several.

Cheers.
gun)

I have one built on a 1916 built VZ24 Brno '98 Mauser. It is my fave cartridge for deer. I use 210gr Partitions exclusively. It takes everything it touches without fuss, doesn't ruin meat and prints little clovers regularly without trying very hard.
I used mine in Canada just after I built it, it took a Kodiak bear cleanly with a 250gr Partition, no follow up shot was required or used.
The recoil is like that of the 30-06 with 220gr bullets. Not tiresome in any way. It really is a pussycat to use and load for.
I really like the 33 cal, that's why I have several.

Cheers.
gun)

I finally got my action and Jewel trigger. The action is a Stiller with bolt and it has the "308" boltface....so true magnums are out. My intent is to make a "moose" gun shooting say 250 gr slugs. I have the 300 Win mag for long distance elk shooting.
Ive got a stock already purchased and trying my damness to decide on caliber to get a barrel bought and installed

Thanks to all for their info

I finally got my action and Jewel trigger. The action is a Stiller with bolt and it has the "308" boltface....so true magnums are out. My intent is to make a "moose" gun shooting say 250 gr slugs. I have the 300 Win mag for long distance elk shooting.
Ive got a stock already purchased and trying my damness to decide on caliber to get a barrel bought and installed

Thanks to all for their info

In that case, it sure looks like the 338-06 would be a good fit for what you want. It might be interesting to get with elkaholic and see about going with a .338 variant of his Sherman cartridge. I would expect the Stiller action to easily accommodate a .338 Sherman loaded long, which would get you everything there is to be had from a 30-06/.270/.280 class cartridge case.

This looks like an interesting build. Please keep us posted!

I believe I had rather have a plain ol' 30-06.

Game weight and hence, preferred bullet weights are key when comparing 308 vs 338 on the -06 case. If typical 30-06 bullet weights are ideal for the target, no need to go out of the way for the 338-06. However, if one wishes to move 225-250 grains about as fast as the 30-06 moves 180-210 grains for bigger effect on large big game, it's a very attractive cartridge. Performance wise, it has more in common with the 338 win mag than the 30-06 but with the same amount of powder as the latter. It makes a whole lot of sense if you want a light weight moose gun for up to about 500 yards. Other benefits are that it won't kick as hard, will hold more rounds than, and does better with a shorter barrel than the 338 win mag.

Though, since you mentioned you have a 300 win mag for longer range, did you consider going with a 358 win? Could be an even handier large big game rifle for up to around 300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.