.338-06

Greg Duerr

For some reason I have always had it in the back of my mind to buy a .338-06. Could be that at one one time I had the Remington 700 Classic in the 35 Whelen.
My son ended up with it and for some strange reason use it for shooting Jackrabbits out here in the Desert.

Does anyone have one?.......... I see that it will easily push a 185gr Hornady GMX @ 3000 FPS.......... and I see that Cooper offers that Cartridge. What a thought with a 24" Barrel.
Could be that Elmer Keith used the .333 OKH, almost the same. Something about the good old days.

I have one that I use for hunting sometimes and I absolutely love it. Required minimal load work up (I got lucky) and if I do my part it will consistently print 1" to 1 & 1/4" groups at 200 yards. I use 225 gr Speer Boat-tails, H414 powder, CCI Magnum primers and Winchester 30-06 brass necked up for 2600 F.P.S. Platform is a Savage 110 in 30-06 that I had re-barreled with a 24" Green Mountain barrel, pillar and glass bedded the action. Also threw in a Timney Trigger. Shoots Great!

225 grain accubond sitting on top of 59-61 grains of h4350 for 2600-2700fps.

I don't have a .338-06 like the above posters but I was in the same boat as you are a few years ago and went with .338 Win instead. When my -06 is due for a re-barrel, it is going to be a .338-06/improved.

I shoot one in a Savage/Stevens and love it. Reloader 17 and 225 Accubonds tend to shoot very small groups for me and hah impressive velocity. I don't have the numbers on me but if I remember correctly it's right around 2700.

Just did some load work up with 200gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and H380. Used a Winchester Magnum primer and it is scary accurate. Put four shots through the MagSpeed and got 2778 fps with an SD of 2.2

Rifle is a Stevens m200, 25" Green Mountain barrel, sits in a Hogue Overmold stock, Timney trigger, Vortex Diamondback HP.

Tried used Norma brass but got doughnuts just necking up so stuck with Winchester brass.

You guys should really consider the 338 sherman. It's the same build requirement with a lot more velocity and super accuracy. We are reaching 2900 with a 250 Berger using Superformance and mid 2800's with H100V and RL17. 338/06 on left and Sherman on right. We have 4 different builds that all shoot the same velocities. Mine has a 24" barrel!
IMG_20180215_154026808.jpg

You guys should really consider the 338 sherman. It's the same build requirement with a lot more velocity and super accuracy. We are reaching 2900 with a 250 Berger using Superformance and mid 2800's with H100V and RL17. 338/06 on left and Sherman on right. We have 4 different builds that all shoot the same velocities. Mine has a 24" barrel!
View attachment 92493

Is that basically a 280 Ackley case necked up?

Once I got the email showing a response and it was Rich, I knew where this post was going!

I'm just a fan of simplicity and will be sticking with the simple 338-06 for now. I like those numbers though and have been eye balling a bigger capacity 33, never know what will happen down the road.

Haha no worries Rich! You need to talk to a computer nerd and get a website though! ;) You've probably forgotten more about firearms then I'll ever know. Love that we can pass the knowledge and store it here.

To the OP: 3k with a 185? Forgot about that as I reread your initial. How do you plan on getting there? I use 60ish grains for the 338-06 across most powders that are suitable. I haven't put together the 180 NAB and the 338-06, but that seems awfully high. Just seeing if I am missing something I need to try.

Haha no worries Rich! You need to talk to a computer nerd and get a website though! ;) You've probably forgotten more about firearms then I'll ever know. Love that we can pass the knowledge and store it here.

To the OP: 3k with a 185? Forgot about that as I reread your initial. How do you plan on getting there? I use 60ish grains for the 338-06 across most powders that are suitable. I haven't put together the 180 NAB and the 338-06, but that seems awfully high. Just seeing if I am missing something I need to try.

I never did run 185s in the few 338-06 I've had but nosler has quite a few loads for 180s that are 2950+. I wouldn't think 3000 with 185 is out of the question

Greg, I love the 338-06 and in the words of a famous Alaskan named "Murphy" ...."The only rifle cartridge ever built on the 30-06 parent cartridge that was actually better than the 30-06 is the 338-06".
I dunno you from Adam but I always felt sorry for Adam cuz he only had one one woman to choose from and she took up with a snake and we fellers have been paying for it ever since! Don't ask me where that came from...just an old man babbling. Anyway I don't go to the mountains anymore and sold my 338-06 but still have a brand new set of RCBS 338-06 dies and I'll donate them to your project if you like!

If you want them email me.... [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.