300wm Rifle Weight

I think some of this depends on a persons physical size. I am on the smaller size so I like weight not to exceed 8 1/2 or 9 lbs fully dressed out.

I have two lightweight 300WM's with brakes, less than 9 lbs total. I find that if I keep the ammo under 180gr. it is OK off the bench. I have shot the heavier loads but only a few at a time.

Mine feels just right to me. Finished at 10 lb 2 oz. Borden action, McMillan gamescout, #3 Brux, Holland brake, BDL, jewel, tally rings, NF SHV. Shoots the 215 Berger right at 3000 fps.

I go superlight. My Tikka T3 Lite in 338WM, stock, is 6.4lb. Heavier means nothing to me since I refit it with a great recoil pad and the light weight does not affect my accuracy. Really nice when hiking at elevation.

I don't enjoy recoil, lots of guys act macho about that kind of thing but I don't care. I want to enjoy my shooting experience and as a result I shoot heavier rifles. I have a 7lb 30-06AI and it is not a pleasure to shoot more than a couple times. I was firefoming brass a couple weeks ago and after 30rounds from the bipod on the bench I was done and so was the sling swivel stud that held the bipod, It sheared off. I would rather carry a 12lb rifle all day and have confidence of making the shot every time than a 6lb rifle with a flinch. I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes either because I don't hunt with hearing protection and I don't like the concussion in my face. But that just me. My unbreaked 300win recoils less with 212gr bullets at 2950 than my 30-06ai shooting 178grbullets.

I don't need a suppressor either, for the same reasons I like it light.

With the new recoil pads, there is no need to be macho at all or to have a brake.
Now a 12lb rifle thru the low scrub oak elk beds at 11000 ft... that would be macho in my book.

I don't need a suppressor either, for the same reasons I like it light.

With the new recoil pads, there is no need to be macho at all or to have a brake.
Now a 12lb rifle thru the low scrub oak elk beds at 11000 ft... that would be macho in my book.
Lol, I wasn't trying to call you out on your opinion I was trying to make myself not look like a wuss for not liking recoil. I started shooting without any good instruction and a heavy recoiling rifle and developed a bad flinch. It took lots of proper practice to break that flinch that I developed early on.

My CA Mesa weighs in a 9.2 lbs with scope, rings and ammo. The recoil isn't bad with my load (168 barnes at 3060 fps). However, in the realm of the 300wm, that is a very mild load. I've done the 212 eldx with 77gr of H1000. That is a pretty stout load. The 168 moving "slow" is plenty capable out to 600 yards which is all I really need. I also don't use the brake because I find myself in tight timber fairly often and don't like the extra 2 inches of barrel lenght. In the future im considering going to a lighter optic and hopefully get it under 9 lbs.

I don't enjoy recoil, lots of guys act macho about that kind of thing but I don't care. I want to enjoy my shooting experience and as a result I shoot heavier rifles. I have a 7lb 30-06AI and it is not a pleasure to shoot more than a couple times. I was firefoming brass a couple weeks ago and after 30rounds from the bipod on the bench I was done and so was the sling swivel stud that held the bipod, It sheared off. I would rather carry a 12lb rifle all day and have confidence of making the shot every time than a 6lb rifle with a flinch. I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes either because I don't hunt with hearing protection and I don't like the concussion in my face. But that just me. My unbreaked 300win recoils less with 212gr bullets at 2950 than my 30-06ai shooting 178grbullets.
Bench shooting exaserbates recoil on any caliber. I dont enjoy any extended sessions without a "past pad" and a nice
Muzzle brake. But in the field a 8 - 9lb rifle in 300 win mag is a ***** cat. Off of sticks, prone, however, dont get caught up on going to a 10lb plus rifle less ur going extreme long range in a specific build meant for that purpose...you can use a 30-06 effectively out to 300-400 yards n kill most anything in the lower 48..just practice

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.