Bullet weight for 300WM.

timblevins

I know this is a variable rifle question but I'm looking for a bullet weight to start out with for an accurate long range hunting round to start with. I have several weights to load from 147gr to 214gr. I'll be using it for elk to moose size animals and appreciate any input.

I've shot everything in 300WM from 110gr VMAX up to 200gr....these were loads developed years ago before the heavies were available. I love the 200gr Accubond for long range hunting. Now, I wish they made a heavier one. Since they don't, I've re-barreled and will now give the 212gr ELD-X a shot.

I've shot everything in 300WM from 110gr VMAX up to 200gr....these were loads developed years ago before the heavies were available. I love the 200gr Accubond for long range hunting. Now, I wish they made a heavier one. Since they don't, I've re-barreled and will now give the 212gr ELD-X a shot.
Thanks ATH I appreciate your input So far it seems like the heavier bullets are the key to long range accuracy.

I know this is a variable rifle question but I'm looking for a bullet weight to start out with for an accurate long range hunting round to start with. I have several weights to load from 147gr to 214gr. I'll be using it for elk to moose size animals and appreciate any input.
What ranges are you going to be working at and is this just for plinking or for hunting as well?

I would agree with 200 plus grain bullets for hunting large animals, assuming a 10 twist. I prefer not to go under 178. I'm getting flat trajectories, high velocities, moderate recoil & good accuracy with 178 ELDM's but have no plans to hunt with that load.

A bullet weight to start out with for long range hunting?
I have tested 180 gr Nosler accubonds and ballistic tips, at roughly 3000 FPS mv.
On Enough elk ,to recommend them .
so far out to 500 yds . With no problems

What ranges are you going to be working at and is this just for plinking or for hunting as well?
I'm going to load out to 1000 yds and this will be for taking down big game. I have several powders and bullets but wanted to know what the majority of the crew is using at this range.

I have run 212 eldx, 208s and 215s. I prefer the 215s. 1-9 twist 28" with h1000 at 3030 ish FPS. 15 elk and 6 mule deer from 50 yds to 800+. It works. Plenty of documented performance with this combo. Not the only way to get it done but we'll proven.
Kyle

Out to 1000 stay above 180gr. Those 181 hammers snox mentioned are great bullets in a win mag. I personally use the 199 hammers in mine for hunting and 185 Berger hybrids for practice since they are nearly identical in terms of velocity and ballistic coefficient in my rifle.

Other good bullets to check out if your not a big mono fan would be accubonds, eld x or eld m, various weight Berger's.

I have run 212 eldx, 208s and 215s. I prefer the 215s. 1-9 twist 28" with h1000 at 3030 ish FPS. 15 elk and 6 mule deer from 50 yds to 800+. It works. Plenty of documented performance with this combo. Not the only way to get it done but we'll proven.
Kyle
Thanks for the info Kyle, my rifle has the 1 in 9 rifling too with a 26" barrel. I'm definitely going to give those a try. Much appreciated.