300wm Rifle Weight

While I can't speak for others setups, My Ruger M77, with scope and loaded comes in at just 8lbs. 9ozs. It's stainless with a synthetic stock and a Leopold on top.

I have 3 hunting rifles in 300WM that all weigh completely differently.
My Kimber 8400 weighs in at 8lbs 4oz scoped and loaded with 4 rounds. My Winchester Model 70 EW weighs 8lbs exactly scoped and 4 rounds. My Rem 700 Sendero II weighs 11lbs 14oz with one piece PT&G Stainless bottom metal, scope, bi-pod and 4 rounds.
Adding a sling to each adds a little more, but they don't weigh much.
I also use my comp rifle every now and then, it weighs 2oz less than 15lbs loaded and all accessories attached. Not easy to carry at all, mainly use it from a portable bench for across canyon/gully type hunting for animal population control. My other comp rifle in 264WM is also used for this, it weighs 8oz more.

Cheers.

Are you guys including your bipod weight in your total weight? I am thinking that a heavier bipod could help keep muzzle rise down by adding weight towards the front of the rifle. Do heavier bipods help decrease felt recoil? I've never really thought it if like this...

Are you guys including your bipod weight in your total weight? I am thinking that a heavier bipod could help keep muzzle rise down by adding weight towards the front of the rifle. Do heavier bipods help decrease felt recoil? I've never really thought it if like this...
It won't be noticeable. Bipods aren't that heavy. Find a weight you are comfortable with carrying whether it is a factory gun or a custom. Have the barrel threaded and put on a self timing muzzle brake that will tame your range sessions and not beat you up. Then take the brake off when you go hunting. In the hunting atmosphere you won't notice recoil because your focused way more on the animal you are hunting. Also, IMHO it is a terrible idea to shoot a rifle in a lead sled or any other device that does not let your rifle recoil properly. It puts way too much torque on the rifle number one, and number two you are essentially sighting in one way and actually hunting another. Practice with what you buy and don't fall for this, you need two guns bs
either.

300 Winmag is great for old guys at 10lb with scope for all the above. I don't have custom, just Sako and Weatherby in 300s.

It won't be noticeable. Bipods aren't that heavy. Find a weight you are comfortable with carrying whether it is a factory gun or a custom. Have the barrel threaded and put on a self timing muzzle brake that will tame your range sessions and not beat you up. Then take the brake off when you go hunting. In the hunting atmosphere you won't notice recoil because your focused way more on the animal you are hunting. Also, IMHO it is a terrible idea to shoot a rifle in a lead sled or any other device that does not let your rifle recoil properly. It puts way too much torque on the rifle number one, and number two you are essentially sighting in one way and actually hunting another. Practice with what you buy and don't fall for this, you need two guns bs
either.
Right on the 2 gun B.S........better to have 20+

either.
Would you help me out here.....what the heck does IMHO stand for folks....been trying to figure it out for months

What do you guys think is the perfect scoped weight for a 300wm hunting rig? Yes heavier is nicer to shoot, lighter is nicer to carry. But what is juuust right?
I have a Browning x-bolt 26" barrel with factory Swiss cheese muzzle brake. I think it weighs 6lb 9 ounces bare. It has a very good recoil pad. The felt recoil itself is not bad but I'm not very recoil sensitive. It's very shootable for such a lighter rifle and balances well. I can hold 5/8 moa from a bipod with 180gr bullets pretty easy. When I get heavier bullets like 200gr & up, it takes alot of skill for me to manage the recoil enough to hold around 3/4 moa and under.

For me 7 lbs fully loaded ready to hunt with brake. I am a high altitude backpack sheep hunter and often will hunt for 10 to 14 days and only shoot once. After the first day or two of climbing an excessively heavy rifle will really start to get obnoxious. I have one very accurate 300 WM that fully loaded (3 in mag and 5 on stock) with scope weighs in at 6 lb 10 oz that kicks like a mule. It takes several range sessions before I can shoot an entire box loaded with 180 gr at a single session - currently shopping for a muzzle brake for this one.

Rifle came in and weighs 8lbs 13oz scoped. I plan on shooting the 181gr hammer hunters. Living in Ca, this seems to be the best bullet to comply with the lead free law and be able to hunt effectively at long range.
Do you guys see a noticeable difference in recoil between the 181s and 215s?

I have a 4 port beast brake on it. So it should reduce recoil quite a bit. I'm assuming the 181s would be lighter recoiling but they would be pushed at a much higher velocity as well...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.