Rifle weight %?

A pound in your hand, is a pound in your hand…. doesn't matter what you weigh, unless you're a toddler. In which case, I'd still go with the sporter weight Nerf Gun.

That being said, I've come to the conclusion that it's a lot easier to carry an 8lb rifle, than it is to shoot a 7lb rifle.

You guys that don't use a Safari sling are missing out. It is the best of both worlds. It is much more comfortable because it goes across your back. The rifle is in your hand, as if it weren't on the sling, but you don't have to hold all of the weight. If you need to make a quick shot (rare for me) you just lift the rifle into position and shoot.

A few years ago, I carried a 10 lb rifle in CO while hiking over the continental divide each day. It was o.k., but would have been nicer with a lighter rifle. I finally bought a Browning Mountain Titanium, that weighs 5-1/2 lbs. With Leupold 3x9 and homemade Safari sling, it weighs 6-1/2. It is a joy to carry. My hunting buddy fondled it at the range and bought himself one just like it.

I've fallen and banged my rifle and scope many times, and amazingly it has always stayed on target. Last time, it was on black ice on a rock after an ice storm. The rock looked normal to me. Hit hard enough to crack the pistol grip on my rifle. Still made the shot.

Last month I went on two aoudad hunts with with a 26 year old kid and a 46 year old. At 69, I could almost still keep up, but it was tough. Ibuprofen is a God send. It isn't my muscles that fail me, it is the joints. Not a lot to be done about that.

The thread about rifle weights made be wonder about rifle weight as a percentage of your body weight. I'm 5' 7" and 160 pounds. O yea, I'm 78 years old. Should I expect to carry the same weight as another guy who 6' and 220 pounds?
I believe that it is what you are comfortable with carrying, how much other gear. For me living at altitude in Colorado it's been tough after the Covid, had asthma already, but never desired to go lighter than the 10-11lbs with rifle, bipod, ammunition, and a full pack, but trying to get my endurance back up has been tough. But now I am going lighter on the rifle for deer, elk. for a couple of bucket list hunts I know I won't get lighter than 11.5-12 lbs. If you are in good shape and have maintained your muscle mass stay safe and have fun, carry what feels good don't overdo it.

HI No;and, What is a Safari Sling?? Where can I see a picture of one?? Does Mid Way or Brownell's sell them?