300wm Rifle Weight

You need two rifles, one for shooting at the range >10lbs with a good muzzle brake and maybe a stiff shooting jacket and good ear protection. Shoot a lot. Think about the elk shot when you practice. Then if you are going on foot in the mountains, get a light rifle, shoot it only to verify the zero. When the big elk steps out you will not mind the recoil for one shot, you won't even remember it. Or or you could go fishing...

I don't need a suppressor either, for the same reasons I like it light.

With the new recoil pads, there is no need to be macho at all or to have a brake.
Now a 12lb rifle thru the low scrub oak elk beds at 11000 ft... that would be macho in my book.

With a nice big Nightforce scope on it just to be sure things are not too easy.

I don't enjoy recoil, lots of guys act macho about that kind of thing but I don't care. I want to enjoy my shooting experience and as a result I shoot heavier rifles. I have a 7lb 30-06AI and it is not a pleasure to shoot more than a couple times. I was firefoming brass a couple weeks ago and after 30rounds from the bipod on the bench I was done and so was the sling swivel stud that held the bipod, It sheared off. I would rather carry a 12lb rifle all day and have confidence of making the shot every time than a 6lb rifle with a flinch. I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes either because I don't hunt with hearing protection and I don't like the concussion in my face. But that just me. My unbreaked 300win recoils less with 212gr bullets at 2950 than my 30-06ai shooting 178grbullets.
try a lead sled while fire forming , that will take oyt the recoil ! i use the lead sled for all sighting in of my magnums! hearng protection is a must for shooting as you will damage your hearing ! you can buy muzzle brakes that push the noise away from you and solve the blast factor !

I had never shot a rifle bigger than 30-06 until last year when I bought a 300WM. I waffled back and forth about having a brake fitted and finally decided I would. It was a good decision for me as I can (and have) shot multiple boxes of the heaviest loads off the bench without discomfort. It recoils like a 308. An added benefit is that the absolutely obnoxious back blast means I am very rarely crowded on the firing line! LOL!

my old AI was 22 1/2 lbs with brake easy b yo shot carryed it from 07 till last fall now new one is 8 1/2 lbs bare 11 1/4 with scope bottom metal and clip holland brake easy on the shooter and a lot easyer to carry proof barrel and AG carbonfiber stock

I built a .300 Win Mag hunting rifle that in my opinion is just the right balance between light and "shootable". It weighs right at 10.5 lbs with the bipod. Proof Research Barrel, Manners EH1A elite shell stock, Leupold MK5 3-18 are the meat and potatoes of the build. One thing I have found extremely helpful is to load 185-190 grain bullets to help mitigate recoil. I have an affinity for the big 215s, but I do notice more recoil when I shoot that load. For my effective hunting range, the 185s and 190s do just fine when put in the right spot. I do shoot suppressed, so that is also a factor. Less recoil if you have a brake for sure.

Everyones guns and ideas are great. The first question you have to answer is what is you budget on the gun, scope, and anything else you want to ad on to it. The caliber of gun doesn't really matter to much just depends on how comfortable you are shooting it. Some people like lite weight guns I shoot heavier guns but you can shoot them in a t-shirt all day long. My daughters gun for elk is a Weatherby mark V accumark 257 with a Leopold VX3 4.5-14. She is 5'5 117 lbs she doesn't complain about weight or recoil and she shoots elk out to 450.

I shoot a Rem Sendero SF II in 300 Win Mag, Huskemaw 5x20 scope, muzzle brake, bipod, and a recoil sleeve over the stock recoil pad.
Recoil impulse is less than my 270.
I love shooting my 300wm!
I don't reload, and have recently tried Sig Sauer Elite ammo and have been very very impressed with accuracy.
First ten rounds on a steel plate at 500 yards grouped about 4".

A great barrel, properly chambered is the key. It does not seem to matter with my guns be it a Savage 110, a Ruger American or a Remington. A floating barrel, good scope and smooth trigger finger makes them all shoot good.

Out of the all the rifles I have had this is by far the best balanced rifle I have had and just comfortable weight to not only carry but also shoot. Proof, manners T3, full SAC build. With NF, atlas, and tbac ultra 9 is right at 11 lbs. love me some 300 win!
80A43485-1C77-4473-9F83-D7F8F980B644.png
1A65CA2D-6808-4862-8DCD-5B318AA9991B.jpeg

Last edited:
i'm shooting one at 10.5 unloaded, no bipod. its very reasonable off the bench. i could see a pound or 2 less not being a problem in the field. I do love a heavy gun since they settle in so well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.