for just about anyone. Because of the light recoil it is very accurate as
well.

Zeke

I think the real secret is a muzzle brake. My Son shoots a .340 Weatherby
and it has a brake on it. Even over the bench it is no problem to shoot
for just about anyone. Because of the light recoil it is very accurate as
well.

Zeke
I am all in for muzzle brakes (I am already deaf as a post however). I have them on all my barrels 243 and larger. My 338 EDGE pushes pretty hard with a brake but is rough without it. Currently my 45-70 is the roughest kicker Hi Wall single shot, too pretty to put a brake on but I will definitely have one on the 416/300RUM I am building. I keep earmuffs with me when hunting. Ears on, safety off, take the shot.

I can sympathize, I have had Sinus Problems for seventy years and do not enjoy the effects of a hearty muzzle blast, to me it's just like being hit in the head with a long handle shovel. It really makes shooting multiple rounds aggravating say the least. I really feel sorry for those who suffer from sinuses then climb up in the mountains.

I got a 300wm build in the works that I think should end up around 8.75-9lbs scoped. With a bipod and ammo it'll add a bit of weight. I backpack hunt and want this gun to be good out to 800 to 1000 max. Won't necessarily be a dedicated long range (1000 yard+) rifle but more of a well rounded rifle with the ability to stretch it out when I want to. Sounds like I'm about where I should be as far as weight goes. Can't wait to send those 215s down range. Really want to try that Berger factory ammo out.

I don't enjoy recoil, lots of guys act macho about that kind of thing but I don't care. I want to enjoy my shooting experience and as a result I shoot heavier rifles. I have a 7lb 30-06AI and it is not a pleasure to shoot more than a couple times. I was firefoming brass a couple weeks ago and after 30rounds from the bipod on the bench I was done and so was the sling swivel stud that held the bipod, It sheared off. I would rather carry a 12lb rifle all day and have confidence of making the shot every time than a 6lb rifle with a flinch. I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes either because I don't hunt with hearing protection and I don't like the concussion in my face. But that just me. My unbreaked 300win recoils less with 212gr bullets at 2950 than my 30-06ai shooting 178grbullets.
You are right Weight is your friend. I like the heavy side. I have about 11 lb FAL and it is a pleasure to shoot, not carry but shoot. That is what slings are for carry rifles that are on the heavy side.

My 300 is 11lbs, braked and shoots like a 243w from a bench or prone and I consider that too heavy to carry any great distance, especially if I have all the other gear. I like something around the 8 - 8.5lbs in a hunting rifle up to 300wm (same as my 270w Rem700).
I will go with a Tikka T3x 300wm next lightweight rifle, Limbsaver fixes a lot of the recoil issues and a brake if I need it.

Last edited:
What do you guys think is the perfect scoped weight for a 300wm hunting rig? Yes heavier is nicer to shoot, lighter is nicer to carry. But what is juuust right?
**For a HUNTING rig in .300WM, 8.5lbs total weight. NO MUZZLE BRAKE! But YES to the Limbsaver pad and I wouldn't be opposed to a mercury recoil reducer in the butt, as long as you don't go over 8.5lbs (loaded, with scope.)

For a BENCH SHOOTING rig, there isn't such a thing as 'too much' weight.

The problem is we want the 'everything' rifle. And that is always a compromise.

For sighting in that hunting rig, or load development, get a PAST pad to make the bench time less brutal.

My 300 Win Mags range from 7.5 to 19 pounds (scoped weight). I currently have 5 of them. What can I say except I love the caliber? They all have recoil pads and muzzle brakes on them. they are all comfortable to shoot, the 2 heavy rigs being my bench/prone Long Range rifles weighing 19 and 15 pounds, I can be behind all day long and actually alternate shooting them to keep them cool. The lighter 3 at 7.5, 8.5 and 10 pounds are the the ones I actually hunt with. The 10 pounder (Sendero) actually sees use for hunting and long range target.
When I was younger and my shoulder was in better shape, I had no need for the muzzle brakes, and used to chide that if the recoil was too much, guys should just put their purse on their shoulder and try shooting them.

Nice thing about muzzle brakes, they can come off for hunting if you don't like wearing hearing protection. Just sight it in without the brake.

I wear electronic ear muffs that help me hear and keep my ears warm while hunting or shooting in cold weather. The electronics cut out when the rifle is fired, protecting my hearing.

Anyway, it all depends on you as an individual how you want to set it up or what weight you run. Just takes a little thought and practice to establish how to do things and what works for you.

I've shoot and owned 300wm from 8- im guessing 15lb, weight is not as much of a factor as a balanced rifle. A fried had savage 110 tactical that weighed about 12 lb that would kick the crap out of you, it was way front heavy, added a little over 1lb to stock and it turned into a ***** cat, and I've shoot others the same way. A 300 pushes more than kicks, it will move you but more of a push, 30-06 kicks like a stubborn mule hard and swift. For hunting u would go with something 8-9 lb, limbsaver recoil pad and get a linear break all blast goes forward no louder to shooter than not having one, it doesnt reduce recoil as much as blast back break does but does do a good job, and make sure gun with scope and fully loaded is balanced and you will be able to shoot from bench more than that 30-06

My .300 Winnie is an ultra-ultra light—with light Swarovski 3-10 fully loaded, it tips the scale at 6 lbs 4 oz. it is a beast from the bench that punishes me for the sins of all Mankind—and I am a wuss. Hunting, I don't notice it.

I will soon be increasing its weight to slightly above 8 lbs, by replacing the scope with a Swarovski dS that just arrived—which is in itself a war club. We shall see if that lessens felt recoil.

Best regards,

Russ

Balance has more to me with shooting and handling than weight .To me a we'll setup break can stop rise where you can look through your shoots in the scope with confidence. I don't like a gun heavy on the barrel end hard to hold on target. A light weight rifle setup right can be just as effective for hunting in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.