300 WSM AR10

Must have been a good while back. We stopped using that gum, it didn't work-someones idea of cost saving...
VN era vet 73 through 81 later on desert storm from the navy reserve activated. We had quality m-14's with select fire option my first enlistment. The first m16 I ever saw I thought was pretty phony other than the over and under 40mm grenade launcher version, That is the war machine to have other than a belt fed m60. we carried extra barrels and being young and invincible

VN era vet 73 through 81 later on desert storm from the navy reserve activated. We had quality m-14's with select fire option my first enlistment. The first m16 I ever saw I thought was pretty phony other than the over and under 40mm grenade launcher version, That is the war machine to have other than a belt fed m60. we carried extra barrels and being young and invincible
Yup. Sounds about right. Served 76-98. Active AF. The Mattel plastic A1. I actually thought it was a training aid or some such when i first got my hands on it. The m203, military version of the over and under. What a hoot. We were made from rubber back then, bounced but never broke.

We learned to control our fire rate. The heat was so bad you could not hold the forward hand guard. We didn't wear gloves like soldiers do today.
I really still enjoy the semi auto versions we build today. It is surprising how accurate they can be.

We learned to control our fire rate. The heat was so bad you could not hold the forward hand guard. We didn't wear gloves like soldiers do today.
I really still enjoy the semi auto versions we build today. It is surprising how accurate they can be.
Yes it is. My AR15 is a SS 18 inch putting down .38 moa at 100 yds on most days.

That is really good grouping. My 20" heavy barrel SS does about 1.5" 10 shot groups at 300. Probably as good as I shoot now that I'm old. Twist is 1:7 and It likes 77s.
It is a bench gun but I have others that are light. When i did the rebarrel, I kept the new 1:9 barrel (factory Armalite). Gave me an excuse to build another rifle that likes
lighter bullets.

Question: what could possibly cause a jam on the side of the cartridge? Actually bends the neck, and horribly collapses the body below the shoulder. Hope some one here can help steer me in the rite direction. DPMS 308

Question: what could possibly cause a jam on the side of the cartridge? Actually bends the neck, and horribly collapses the body below the shoulder. Hope some one here can help steer me in the rite direction. DPMS 308
Hand loads or factory? Is the cartridge stopping before chamber insertion? Or is it part way in? Are you getting double feed,? Might take a look at the round sticking one of the feed ramps causing mangled cases. Look for burrs on feed ramps. Is this a new or well fired gun? Have you changed parts recently? If so what?

Since I chamber 18 to 20 barrels a year for TX Juniors I came up with a Remington bolt gun on a wide wood stock for bench testing. Screwed on to the bolt gun front end is an adapter with proper dimension to screw on AR 15 barrels I just finished without the barrel extensions. The rig is topped off with a March benchrest scope donated by my brother.

Mike Pharr of Tumbleweeds Custom Rifles provided the bedding job, pro bono.

The stock is short enough that we can unscrew the barrel like a bench gun without taking the barreled receiver off the stock.

This set up allowed our coaches to test barrels for precision quite easily. Much much quicker than assembling an upper even using the Geiselle service rifle handguard.

Before, we issued barrels to the Juniors without knowing what each barrel is capable of precision. Now, we issue the barrels capable of best precision to the top shooters, accuracy belongs to them.

Factory. Military, in fact. New rifle, about 200rds thru it. Not factory built. I don't think it's double feeding...thats trying to strip two cases at once from the mag, yes? Feed ramps are kind of rough. It's almost like the ramp is so steep that the case head goes back down into the mag and the bolt continues on its happy way past the rim into the cartridge body. My very first AR, so don't know much about them.

Sounds like the top cartridge is not high enough in the magazine. Have you tried other magazines? If the bolt misses the cartridge base as it comes forward, what you described can happen. If you lock the bolt back with the stop, does it feed ok when releasing the bolt manually? Also, if the bolt does not come completely to the rear upon ejecting a fired round this same condition can occur.

Recent Posts