AR10 barrels

Something to be aware of with using a Proof Research barrel and their +2 gas port, if you're putting this on a Seekins SP10, is with Proofs gas port being +2 further toward the muzzle, the handguard will no longer cover the gas block. Not only with 3/4 of the gas block be forward of the handguard, but the adjusting screw for the gas block is now in a real PITA location and I'm probably going to drill a small hole in the handguard so I can get a Allen wrench in there to adjust it. I already contacted Seekins and they only make one length handguard for their SP10 so a longer one isn't an option either.
SP10gasblock.jpg

After much searching for the right gas block, I installed an ODIN WORKS gas block adjustable from the front. Much looking at videos on YouTube on installing and getting to correct AR-10 build.

Something to be aware of with using a Proof Research barrel and their +2 gas port, if you're putting this on a Seekins SP10, is with Proofs gas port being +2 further toward the muzzle, the handguard will no longer cover the gas block. Not only with 3/4 of the gas block be forward of the handguard, but the adjusting screw for the gas block is now in a real PITA location and I'm probably going to drill a small hole in the handguard so I can get a Allen wrench in there to adjust it. I already contacted Seekins and they only make one length handguard for their SP10 so a longer one isn't an option either.
View attachment 139245
Is it possible to get a different hand guard? Or would I run into compatibly issues?

Thanks for posting that info. How long is your barrel?

jbs2014,
What factory ammo have you tried and what have you tried for reloads? I'd expect a decent shooter from a Seekins, just wondering what you have been feeding her? If it's not holding up to what it should maybe a phone call is in order. I've had to do it twice on rifles from other manufacturers and both times it was a much more pleasant experience than I expected and yielded the results I was after. Bad barrels happen and manufacturers know and understand it and quality manufacturers like seekins will make it right if they truly aren't making the cut.
For factory ammo I have used hornady match 143 grain projectiles. I have also used the federal loaded with Berger 130 grain bullets.

For reloading I have tried 130 grain Sierra TMKs, 130 grain Berger OTM, and hornady 143 grain ELD. For powders I have tried Superformace, RL16, RL17, H4350 and others ( I'd have too look later). I use federal 210m primers.

Is it possible to get a different hand guard? Or would I run into compatibly issues?

Thanks for posting that info. How long is your barrel?
I'm not sure any other handguards will work with the Seekins SP10, I could be wrong on that though, but I do know Seekins doesn't make a longer one for the SP10 because I already talked to them and as of now, they don't have any intentions of making a longer one.

The Proof barrel I put on my SP10 is 22 inches. I went back and forth on going 20 or 22 and finally decided on the 22. My 6.5 suppressor is a SAS barricade and they're slightly shorter than most of the 6.5 cans so that helped push me toward the 22.

As I recall the Seekins SP10's are monolithic. The SP3Rv3 is the only hand-guard that will fit due to it's shape and the upper being machined specifically to fit it.

W
I'm not sure any other handguards will work with the Seekins SP10, I could be wrong on that though, but I do know Seekins doesn't make a longer one for the SP10 because I already talked to them and as of now, they don't have any intentions of making a longer one.

The Proof barrel I put on my SP10 is 22 inches. I went back and forth on going 20 or 22 and finally decided on the 22. My 6.5 suppressor is a SAS barricade and they're slightly shorter than most of the 6.5 cans so that helped push me toward the 22.
did you have a significant velocity reduction with that 22" barrel vs a 24" barrel?

W

did you have a significant velocity reduction with that 22" barrel vs a 24" barrel?
My SP10 was originally the 308 version, but considering the 6.5CM doesn't shoot a great deal of powder, I'd be very surprised if there was 50-60 fps difference between the 22 and 24.

Anyone know who makes a decent 24" 6.5 Creedmoor AR10 barrel?

Anyone here use the carbon fiber AR10 barrels? How do they perform?

I am pretty sure at this point that I have a bad barrel on the Seekins Precision AR10 that I have.
Just put a Proof Research 22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on my F1 BDR 10 but Im still breaking it in.

Proof Research makes a 20", 22" and 24". All are a +2 rifle length gas system so you may need a longer gas tube than you currently have and they use a .875" gas journal diameter so likely need a new gas block as well. I have one of their 20" Carbon Fiber barrels and the accuracy is incredible and the weight savings is a plus. Coyotes don't care for it though.
Mine came with the extended gas tube.

I would use a Superlative Arms gas block with the +2 length gas system. Easy to adjust since the screw is in the front.
20190622_002258.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.